U N T Loses Out On Offensive Lineman

MeanGreen61

UNT offensive line target off the board

Phillip Freeman, an offensive tackle from Wesson (Miss.) Copiah-Lincoln Community College, told Rivals.com today that he has committed to Mississippi State.

UNT was one of six schools that had offered Freeman a scholarship. The Mean Green probably had very little chance in landing the 25th-ranked junior college player in the country in the first place. He had offers from Oklahoma State and Kansas State among others.

UNT could use some offensive line help in its next recruiting class, especially at tackle, which is why it was after Freeman in the first place. Matt Menard started last season at left tackle and will be back next season, but UNT will lose right tackle Adam Venegas to graduation. Robert Peachey was the backup at both tackle spots and will also return.

UNT has a commitment from Celina lineman Troy Franklin, who is projected as a tackle, and has two freshmen who spent last season as redshirts in Jacob Kaiser and Matt Tomlinson. UNT still has an offer out to Freeman's junior college teammate Edward Prince, but he is also a highly recruited player who could end up playing in the Big 12.

More and more, it appears as if UNT will open next season with a Menard at left tackle and Peachey or another player at right tackle who hasn't played in a college game.

UNT offensive line target off the board

Phillip Freeman, an offensive tackle from Wesson (Miss.) Copiah-Lincoln Community College, told Rivals.com today that he has committed to Mississippi State.

UNT was one of six schools that had offered Freeman a scholarship. The Mean Green probably had very little chance in landing the 25th-ranked junior college player in the country in the first place. He had offers from Oklahoma State and Kansas State among others.

UNT could use some offensive line help in its next recruiting class, especially at tackle, which is why it was after Freeman in the first place. Matt Menard started last season at left tackle and will be back next season, but UNT will lose right tackle Adam Venegas to graduation. Robert Peachey was the backup at both tackle spots and will also return.

UNT has a commitment from Celina lineman Troy Franklin, who is projected as a tackle, and has two freshmen who spent last season as redshirts in Jacob Kaiser and Matt Tomlinson. UNT still has an offer out to Freeman's junior college teammate Edward Prince, but he is also a highly recruited player who could end up playing in the Big 12.

More and more, it appears as if UNT will open next season with a Menard at left tackle and Peachey or another player at right tackle who hasn't played in a college game.

I think we will see a 75% drop in False Start penalties next year at least. :ph34r:

Edited by untbowler

On the Mean Green Radio Network half time show when George Dunham was interviewing Larry Lacewell, the former HFC of ASU and former Cowboy employee said it was always tougher for (schools we used to call non-BCS) to get in on blue chip linemen at recruiting time. I think Lacewell's theory has held true almost as long as I've followed the Mean Green and yes, even during the Fry era. :rolleyes::)

Todd Dodge with his Texas High School name ID may change this in due time (and who knows, maybe even this Winter) but most non-BCS schools get kids who are 1'st or 2'nd team All State that didn't make blue chip list, but they still may have the frame & quickness (please Lord, let us recruit speed); yet (again) at recruiting time, they may be too light for D1-A football, but we know UNT has our ultra-modern Athletic Center with state of the art weight rooms that can put all that necessary meat on the hooves of what usually become project linemen at non-BCS schools (which is almost half the membership schools of all NCAA D1-A).

I'm talking high school level here, but anyone from any era of Mean Green football ever recall UNT recruiting a true bonafide blue chip linemen from Dave Campbell's Super Team (1'st or 2'nd team or Honorable Mention) or even Bobby Burton's Rivals of late that had more than 3 or more stars?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Don't we also have a verbal from Eloy Atkinson from Los Fresnos as an offensive tackle?

Yes,

They got elimnated from the Class 5A Div I playoffs by SA Reagan, 49-28.

There are many good OT's, OG's still out there, along with DL,

DB, K, and DE's! The real key is to find the player that meets the

needs of the team, and fits the program.

Coach Dodge and his staff have been recruiting since they first arrived,

reviewing needs, puting together lists of targeted prospects, contacting

HS coaches, Jr College coaches, updating prospect information weekly.

Recruiting is not a easy job. Requires tons of research and time, planning,

scheduling, and follow through, while following NCAA guidelines. Recruiting

never ends and lasts all year long, especially in the off season.

So do not worry about one prospect going to another school, it happens.

I am impressed with the quality of players that Coach Dodge and his staff

are able to see and talk to. I would really like to see the list of the targeted

prospects the coaching staff has for the 2008 and 2009 classes. I know I

would be thankful Coach Dodge is here building his NT program, and for the first

time, I truely feel like the NT football program is in very good hands!

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think we will see a 75% drop in False Start penalties next year at least. :ph34r:

As well as 75% of the holding penalties.

Another comment....61 didn't say that we LOST a recruit; he said that we lost OUT on an offensive lineman. In other words, we offered but we won't be getting him.