Quotes By Vito

mean green d

November 29, 2007

Vizza and next season

The end of the season -- especially ones like UNT is in the midst of -- require some uncomfortable questions. This week I tried to ask a few.

One I directed toward quarterback Giovanni Vizza. The freshman has had an outstanding season, but is also in an interesting situation heading into next year with the impending arrival of Riley Dodge, the son of head coach Todd Dodge.

Riley is a quarterback like his father, one many will expect to start the moment he sets foot on campus. Vizza would be a hot commodity on the transfer market, but said this week he is staying put at UNT.

It should make for an interesting position battle heading into next season. Feel free to post your thoughts here. What would be the ideal situation next season when both Vizza and Dodge will be on campus?

If you feel Vizza is the real deal, then you redshirt Riley. If you believe that both Vizza and Riley are good D1 quarterbacks, you have a chance to get six years of solid QB play out of them by redshirting Riley next year. The only reason to not redshirt Riley next year is if the coaches feel that Riley will take over the starting job sometime next year or no later than his sophomore year. Otherwise you're wasting a year of his eligibility.

The ideal situation is Vizza starts for four years, Riley redshirts next year, backs up as a freshman and sophomore while getting some playing time, then starts as a junior.

Please redshirt Riley.

I am amazed at what Vizza has accomplished as a true freshmen and would love to see what he becomes by his senior year. I like Riley, but he needs to mature physically. I just don't think he could take some of the hits Vizza has with his current size.

Guest 97and03

Riley will start next season and Vizza will be a proven player who will get some minutes. No way TD sits Riley one or two seasons.

Vizza will start next year. I don't think Riley should sniff the field.

If Riley is as good as everyone says, it would be a real waste of a year of eligibility to have him sit on the bench or play receiver.

Redshirt him. We should have backup QB covered next year.

Edited by 97and03

Vizza starts. Simply said, he is the real deal. Navy had fits trying to stop him and the offense. His backup is Meager, then Tune and maybe a JUCO recruit.

Dodge redshirts and gets up to size for his second year and comes in as another dual threat QB and occasionally lines up at WR. He starts in his junior year, but plays like he's been the starter for a year prior.

Riley will start next season and Vizza will be a proven player who will get some minutes. No way TD sits Riley one or two seasons.

That ignorant statement has just earned you a spot on my "IGNORE POSTER" list.

I know you don't care, but that is a foolish statement. Coach Dodge will sit Riley and play whoever he thinks gives his team the best chance to win.

This from the same person who said Meager would start all year this season...only to backtrack and sing the praises of Vizza once he got the nod.

Any other baseless conjecture you'd like to throw out there?

This from the same person who said Meager would start all year this season...only to backtrack and sing the praises of Vizza once he got the nod.

Any other baseless conjecture you'd like to throw out there?

I've suddently had violent images of what next year's QB arguments between you two are going to be. whew.

Would TD let Riley redshirt to build another year between Riley and Vizza? Then in 2009, much better to have Vizza as a Junior and Riley backup as RS Freshman.

Absolutely red shirt Riley. 2 good quarterbacks don't get you anywhere. Give Riley another year to mature. Vizza will do fine, can't wait to see him the next 3 years.

The decision shouldn't be made now or even possibly in the spring. May the best man win! Vizza is not much bigger than Riley and could go down with an injury. Your better backup would not be eligible to play; (possibly for a significant amount of time) based on this redshirt theory.

Riley is not coming here to play some other position and sit on the bench. (He chose to not sign with UT to avoid this situation) We should put the best starters and backups on the active squad Now (and not worry about 3-4 years down the road) Starting school in January and attending summer school, Riley should graduate before his senior year. He would have only played 1 year before deciding if he wanted to play his senior year.

When did this team become a BCS caliber program where we can assure a true freshman a starting position for his entire 4-years. Todd Dodge and his offense, will always be able to recruit good quarterbacks opposed to a Darrell Dickey type rushing game. Put your better people on the field. We have been one of the worse teams in America for the past 3 years. Too many new coaches are being paid too much money and too many older coaches are being fired. Dodge can't afford to wait 3-4 years for a big payday or a pink slip.

Upgrade the entire roster (and 2nd string depth every possible opportunity!

Edited by Cooley