Briles Takes The Baylor Job

Charlie NT 73

You guys are missing the point. Briles WILL recruit athletes and playmakers. At a B12 institution he will have even more success than he did at Houston. Mark my words it is all about recruiting and this guy will recruit heavily throughout the state. Baylor has a nice campus and good school. He will have success and it will be only a matter of time before he gets them turned around. This college football business is all about recruiting and Briles is one of the best.

Rick nailed it.

If sorry-ass Kansas and K-State can be dragged off the mat, Baylor sure as hell can. Waco sits in the middle of some good bluechip producing territory and Briles has some good things to sell recruits.

Except Missouri is the flagship university of its state. I’m sure they recruit kids from Kansas City and St. Louis as well as Texas.

Having said that I think Northwestern and Wake Forest are good examples of small private schools that can dominate (every now and then). However, Northwestern never played Ohio State and benefited from not having to play a championship game in their Big Ten title runs in the 90s. Likewise WF benefitted from from the fact that the traditional ACC powers have been down as of late.

I think Briles is an upgrade for Baylor but the real question is whether he is worth the 1.8 million dollars a year they are paying him. That’s big time money for a guy who in my opinion will go 7-5 or 8-4 once every 3 years at best.

I think it’s going to be hard to recruit kids to Waco (which is neither fun nor pretty) against the major powers of the Big 12 South.

Time will tell.

Edited by STE

I think it’s going to be hard to recruit kids to Waco (which is neither fun nor pretty) against the major powers of the Big 12 South.

Tough to recruit to Waco?? But Waco has... Um... A crappy mall! And thousands of churches! And the highest per-capita homeless population in America! (I'm told)

Why, there's a terrible movie theater and... and... And a Fazoli's Italian Fast Food restaurant just across the highway from the Baylor campus! You mean to tell me that blue chip recruits aren't primarily concerned with having a Fazoli's right across the highway from campus?!?

Man, do I hate Waco. An old friend of mine once described it to me as "The Place Where Happiness Goes to Die". Baylor is a good school trapped in the middle of a barren sinkhole of suck.

The only worthwhile thing I've ever found in that entire godforsaken wasteland is Kitok's. I'm told that they have a nice suspension bridge, but I've never bothered to check it out. Because I'm neither gay nor Clint Eastwood.

Ugh, Waco. I have to go down there tomorrow, and I'm already dreading it.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

You guys are missing the point. Briles WILL recruit athletes and playmakers. At a B12 institution he will have even more success than he did at Houston. Mark my words it is all about recruiting and this guy will recruit heavily throughout the state. Baylor has a nice campus and good school. He will have success and it will be only a matter of time before he gets them turned around. This college football business is all about recruiting and Briles is one of the best.

No offense, but he will never recruit the talent there to compete week-in-week-out with Texas, OU, A&M, Tech, or OSU. Don't get me wrong--his BCS talent that he will get at Baylor will be better than his UH talent, but it should be, especially if you are getting $1.8 Million. It is just too much to ask Baylor to run the gauntlet of the Big XII South as a private school. The coaches at these schools make more, use the "Baylor can't compete" tagline against them in recruiting, and use history to show that. His OOC schedule is not exactly easy over the next few years, either. They get Wake Forest and Washington St in Waco next year, while playing at UConn. In '09, they go to WF and play UConn in Waco. 2010=@ TCU and I believe this is when they will play Notre Dame at Jerry World. I just don't see him ever getting better than 6-6. If he does get to 7-5 and goes to a bowl, another BCS Public University will snap him so fast, it won't be funny. I still think he ends up in Lubbock before it is all said and done--and maybe sooner than anyone can imagine.

I don't think Briles would jump to an out of state job. He's been in Texas his whole life. I'll give you that he will probably end up at Texas Tech. But, Briles is no Nick Saban or Dennis Franchione hopping from job to job. He's solid. He'll do an excellent job at Baylor, who is not as far off as many here think.

Guy Morriss left a pretty solid foundation. Tons of sophomores played for Baylor this year. He did an excellent job of redshirting guys to build for the future. He won't see it come to his fruition under his watch, but the perfect hire of Briles will. Same offensive philosophy for a bunch of guys who are about to be junior and seniors. The Baylor fanbase couldn't ask for more.

I don't think Briles would jump to an out of state job. He's been in Texas his whole life. I'll give you that he will probably end up at Texas Tech. But, Briles is no Nick Saban or Dennis Franchione hopping from job to job. He's solid. He'll do an excellent job at Baylor, who is not as far off as many here think.

I am very curious about the timing of things and how it all plays out... the Briles to TTech thing has always seemed to be a logical step, and this year, with the Leach to Arkansas/UCLA rumors swirling (after last year's Leach/Miami dallyance) you have to think the angry pirate won't be around much longer. Now, with Briles, the logical successor, tied up for what you assume would be at least a few years, I wonder what Tech does assuming Leach goes and how the dominoes fall even further....

...speaking of, did anyone hear about Donald Trump's angry letter to Donna Shalala re: Mike Leach? Is that the craziest sentence ever?