Why Not?

unt88

The big schools might make more money, but they would probably make a lower percentage of the overall pie. In other words, the have nots would be more able to compete with them.

They don't want that.

Agreed. However, public pressure is going to start mounting... Just look at how fired up football fans are this year with the slight move towards parity the scholarship thing has created. Eventually the market is going to push this.

Agreed. However, public pressure is going to start mounting... Just look at how fired up football fans are this year with the slight move towards parity the scholarship thing has created. Eventually the market is going to push this.

Most die hards follow the big auto bid schools, not the small ones, they don't want to do anything that will hurt thier schools. Most of those people clamoring for a playoff just want their own auto bid school to have a chance, they don't want North Texas or Boise State to win it.

The casual fans will think they are watching a great game if the media hypes it enough. The media will hype it to sell advertising.

No one REALLY cares that schools like North Texas don't have a real chance, except for North Texas fans.

I don't think they will ever eliminate the bowls, I just think they will figure out a way to do a Playoff system and either incorporate or keep the bowls. If you think about it, there are really only two types of people that watch most of the non-BCS bowl games as it is now - those that are the fans of the teams involved and those college football fans that are going to watch them just because it is college football, and those two types of people will still watch them if there is a playoff.

---I don't think there is any need to eliminate the "Holiday" bowls at all. I favor a eight team playoff and those teams who are not invited to participate can then go to various "Holiday"bowls. Most of them now have little impact on the "National Championship" anyway. With only eight teams in the Championship race there would be a lot of very good teams left to go to these bowls... That is what they once were anyway.. a reward for a good season. The AP poll once was finished after the regular season and was not done after the bowls. It is a rather odd thing now since many of those teams in bowls have not played a game in over a month and there is a lot of pressure to win... The current system makes little sense to me.

---With a 8-team playoff they would be playing immediately after the season except for the Holiday Bowl teams which would a decreased pressure to win and those would actually be a reward for a good season. Because of finals, one or two games could be played in early December and the final Playoff games (eight teams would require three) could be a couple weeks later after finals. This would only involve 4 teams playing two post-season game and two playing three games. These guys all play one post-season game now anyway. I am sure some argueing would exist who should in the eight but this is a large enough to contain the team that should be considered the "best".

Not sure what planet you live on, but here, on earth, Money = Power.

The auto bid schools are going to do anything that moves more of the money, and therefore power, to the non auto bid schools.

I had always heard that Knowledge = Power.

First you get the Sugar... Then you get the Power... Then you get the Women.