Jeremy Phillips Story

H-towngreen

Jeremy Phillips only plays on the defensive side of the ball on special occasions at Waller, where he is the Bulldogs’ starting quarterback.

That will change when Phillips arrives at North Texas next season and begins his career with the Mean Green, whose coaches see him as a potential standout on defense on the college level.

Phillips (6-3, 185) orally committed on Monday to UNT, which recruited him as a safety, although he could move to outside linebacker depending on how he develops physically in college.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6.

“I play on defense in crucial situations at safety,” Phillips said. “ I enjoy playing on the defensive side of the ball. I have a good feel for the game since I play quarterback on offense.”

Duke, Rice and Army also recruited Phillips as a defensive back.

Phillips has not yet taken an official visit to UNT, but did come to Denton earlier this year and saw the Mean Green fall to Flo-rida Atlantic at Fouts Field. Phil-lips’ brother Jason is a starting linebacker at TCU.

“I liked the atmosphere and the coaches,” Phillips said. “I think [uNT head coach Todd] Dodge will turn it around. He is getting some players in there now.”

A chance to get out of his brother’s shadow and play in a comfortable situation at UNT was intriguing for Phillips.

The Mean Green is in the first season of a rebuilding project under Dodge and is 2-9 on the year.

“I wanted to make my decision on the feeling I had about the town,” Phillips said. “Denton reminds me a lot of Fort Worth. I wanted to go to another school instead of following my brother.”

Phillips has made his mark on the high school level as a quarterback while leading Waller to the third round of the Class 4A playoffs. Waller will play Lumberton this week in the regional quarterfinals.

Phillips has thrown for 1,258 yards and rushed for an additional 410 yards, but was not recruited as a quarterback by any school.

Phillips is the 13th player to commit to become a member of UNT’s 2008 recruiting class.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.