Lamar University Football

DeepGreen

Oops! I put this in the wrong place.

Looks like Lamar is trying to bring back football again. And no, we don't need them in the Sun Belt!

LU Football

Yet another link to open letters to Lamar Students, Lamar Boosters, and LU President Jimmy Simmons and Billy Tubbs by Sports Writer, Rush Wood.

Lamar Football

Edited by DeepGreen

Looks like Lamar is trying to bring back football again. And no, we don't need them in the Sun Belt!

LU Football

Yet another link to open letters to Lamar Students, Lamar Boosters, and LU President Jimmy Simmons and Billy Tubbs by Sports Writer, Rush Wood.

Lamar Football

I believe the main issue at Lamar is: can a large enough fan base be drawn? It always comes down to support, or lack of, in keeping football. Just ask UTA. Interesting points from the article.....

"Finally, Simmons said, the team could begin playing a conference schedule as early as 2010.

The school's Board of Regents killed football after the 1989 season, citing high costs of running the program and low levels of success and support.

The Cardinals posted a 31-77-1 record through the 1980s. According to Enterprise archives, Lamar lost some $4.3 million in football over the program's final 10 years, including $523,925 in 1989 alone.

"What I think many people forget about is the enrollment-management side of football," Simmons said. "You add players, cheerleaders and band members - and there are many other students who won't go to a school that doesn't have football. "We think (adding football) would bring about 2,000 students to the university, and that improves academic funding. There's a reason they have football at Sul Ross State, Angelo State, Sam Houston and all those other places."

Edited by NT80

It's about time. They have a community there that will support athletics.

They didn't last time they had football......

The school's Board of Regents killed football after the 1989 season, citing high costs of running the program and low levels of success and support. The Cardinals posted a 31-77-1 record through the 1980s. According to Enterprise archives, Lamar lost some $4.3 million in football over the program's final 10 years, including $523,925 in 1989 alone.

LU Football

Lamar Football

I thought the NCAA passed some rule about teams moving up to D1? Did I miss something?

Here's the latest article on Lamar Football from Wednesday's Beaumont Enterprise. I think the students will approve the "per semester hour increase" and Lamar will have football back in a few years.

LU Football

The article also mentioned Southeastern Louisiana reinstated football too. I know the same talk has occured in the past at UTA and Wichita State. As Tubbs said "football is a culture".

I like their idea to help pass the student vote:

"It issued a news release stating that students who pay the fee in 2009 would receive four-year season passes to football games, regardless of when they graduate."

That's a cool addendum. For those of you who know the details, doesn't it sound like something I would do? ;)

Lamar is a "name school". Not huge, but I think they have the potential. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing them in the Belt (until we hopefully move up in 5-10 years!).

• 1 month later...

The article also mentioned Southeastern Louisiana reinstated football too. I know the same talk has occured in the past at UTA and Wichita State. As Tubbs said "football is a culture".

I like their idea to help pass the student vote:

"It issued a news release stating that students who pay the fee in 2009 would receive four-year season passes to football games, regardless of when they graduate."

I like Lamar's chances. Unlike UTA, which had a student referendum overwhelmingly pass in April '04, Lamar has a President who really wants football and understands why it would benefit the university. Would you believe President Simmons used to be the drum major in the Lamar band?

All four of the Southland conference schools that don't have football have done studies. Lamar and UTSA leaders seem the most motivated. TAMU-CC has the biggest logistical hurdles. UTA could probably do it at the least cost, but President Spaniolo will not do it until he gets a new arena to replace the stage. That is likely to get approved this spring, so UTA and Lamar could both potentially field teams in 2010.

An unofficial mantra of the ex-letterman's association (called the Varsity Club): "I hope I'll still be alive when it happens." ;)

If the MWC invites SMU (a possibility) in the near future and they accept (another possibility) then you may have to move your time frame up considerably.

SMU could change conferences again, and I'm sure there are plenty of other dominoes waiting to fall. If that meant a couple of 'Belt teams moving "up" to bigger money conferences, I suppose you could expect to see some Southland schools start knocking on the door. How many Sunbelt teams used to be in the Southland Conference? I know of at least a couple of Louisiana schools that used to lose regularly when they were in the SLC, but now that they are I-A, they still lose to Southland teams. All that extra money.... :D

As my memory serves me, LaTech, Ark.St., LaMonroe, LaLaf, and UNT were all Southland Conference mates at one time.

Also, Troy, Trinity, Abilene Christian & Jacksonville State. Interesting to note, the SLC was division one until 1981, when it became I-AA. NTSU dropped down to I-AA during the Corky Nelson era as a means of survival. It was not a happy time for NT fans, but was better than what the administration did to us at UTA. Lamar took the other route, trying to make it as an independent for 3-4 years before they dropped football. They were out of the SLC for several years. UTA is the only original member still in the SLC continuously since 1964.

It would not hurt my feelings if UTA decided to leave for a conference that had swimming and division 1-A football. My impression is that President Spaniolo does not intend to do I-AA, but would want to go to the top division if/when he makes the decision to revive.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought they were trying to bring football back at UTA too - is this still in the works?

UTA students voted in April, 2004. Overwhelmingly, they voted in favor of football, but then-new President Spaniolo demurred. He said getting an arena was a higher priority, and that the timing was not right for football at that time. He also said he would re-examine the issue in 5 years. So we have less than 2 years before he says he will take up the issue again. The perception around here is that if the arena is under construction during 2008, we have a shot at getting football.

That said, it looks like Lamar will get there first, assuming their referendum passes and assuming further that they will find a way to get their football stadium renovated. Spaniolo has done great things to get UTA built out towards becoming a major research university, with over 1/4 $billion in approved/ongoing construction. But when it comes to supporting athletics, I think I like the Lamar President. <_<

How is the progress on the arena? That has been a goal to build one there since at least 1976. <_<

You are right. One of Bob LeGrand's recruiting pitches in the 80's included talk and pictures about the new arena that was planned way back then. Some of the historians among us say that we had a chance around 1980 and chose to have the new football stadium built first. Then, the ad valorem tax structure was ruled unconstitutional and all subsequent schemes to build an arena have failed.

That's one twisted version of history. Perhaps a more salient fact is that we have not needed more seats than Texas Hall offers, since our basketball teams were pathetic for so many years. Since that is changing and we are starting to fill up the old venue, and further, because President Spaniolo says it's a high priority, we are hoping for/expecting an announcement during the May meeting of the UT Regents.

Sidebar comment: We are a rump university in a leading system. No offense, but it would be far better to be like UNT and be the lead university in a rump system. <_<

You are right. One of Bob LeGrand's recruiting pitches in the 80's included talk and pictures about the new arena that was planned way back then. Some of the historians among us say that we had a chance around 1980 and chose to have the new football stadium built first. Then, the ad valorem tax structure was ruled unconstitutional and all subsequent schemes to build an arena have failed.

That's one twisted version of history. Perhaps a more salient fact is that we have not needed more seats than Texas Hall offers, since our basketball teams were pathetic for so many years. Since that is changing and we are starting to fill up the old venue, and further, because President Spaniolo says it's a high priority, we are hoping for/expecting an announcement during the May meeting of the UT Regents.

Sidebar comment: We are a rump university in a leading system. No offense, but it would be far better to be like UNT and be the lead university in a rump system. <_<

Back in the 70's schools had to choose their arena priorities and start building. UNT at the time (1970) needed a larger gym because of packed crowds in the old, small men's gym so the SuperPit was built and Fouts left for another time. UTA played football at Cravens Field, a no-frills high school stadium in far north Arlington, then in old Rangers stadium. UTA in the late 70's needed an on-campus football facility to create campus community and choose to build a new football venue; Texas Hall was left again for another time.

When UTA dropped football (mid-80's) their admin said they were going to spend the saved $ toward making basketball a premier sport at UTA, much like DePaul, etc., including a new arena. But it was hard times in the late 80's for colleges. $ were never put into the program as enrollment leveled off and later priorities changed to research, dorms, campus expansion and UTA re-invented itself.

Now, football-less schools are wanting it back, and while UTA has a nice stadium the struggle to pour $ into a new football program vs a needed basketball arena begins anew. Good luck with funding, and I think the UT board may finally see it is a needed venue, for graduations also.

Now, football-less schools are wanting it back, and while UTA has a nice stadium the struggle to pour $ into a new football program vs a needed basketball arena begins anew. Good luck with funding, and I think the UT board may finally see it is a needed venue, for graduations also.

Students approve football fee

Lamar University students approved a special fee that will assist in funding the return of the Lamar Cardinal football program. Lamar students went to the polls on Jan. 29 and 30 and voted on the fee that will put the university one step closer to realizing the dream of reviving the program that was discontinued in 1989.

http://www.lamar.edu/

Quote:

Lamar University officials announced Thursday the student body has approved a special fee that will assist in funding the return of the Lamar Cardinal football program. Lamar students went to the polls on Jan. 29 and 30 and voted on the fee that will put the university one step closer to realizing the dream of reviving the program that was discontinued in 1989. A majority of 79 percent for and 21 percent against was the final tally to approve the fee and overcome the first hurdle in the quest for football. The next step in the process is gaining approval of the Texas State University System Board of Regents.

“A football program on a university campus is a very important factor in enrollment management,” said Brian Sattler, director of public relations for Lamar. “With the leadership of President Simmons, academic offerings have increased and new facilities such as the Sheila Umphrey Recreational Sports Center, Cardinal Village and the new dining hall have been constructed to enhance the campus learning and living environment. Now is a great time to work toward bringing college football back to the campus and Southeast Texas.”

With the affirmation from the students in hand, President Simmons is poised to seek approval from the TSUS Board of Regents at a regularly scheduled meeting to be held on the Lamar University campus on February 22. If approval from the Board is obtained, the LU Athletics Department will begin renovation of Cardinal Stadium and begin the search for a coach. Tentative plans have the Cardinals beginning a full schedule in the fall 2010 season and Southland Conference play during the fall 2011 season.

2/1/2008

In two years they'll be playing again and we will still be talking about it.

:(