Nick Saban Compares Ulm Loss To:

SUMG

I hate when people take something relatively minor in the scheme of things (a loss in a game) and compare it to some of the worst things that people can experience in life.

Another example of this was when Tom Penders was coaching at UT. They played a game at Baylor. Anyway, some of the Baylor fans found out that Penders' wife was at the game, and they started razzing her pretty badly. Not exactly a classy thing to do, I'll grant you that.

But no matter what the Baylor fans might have said, it didn't warrant her response in the paper the next day. She was quoted as saying, "I felt as if I had been raped."

Of course he would never give any credit to a Sunbelt team for beating them in a completely hostile environment. It had nothing to do with ULM's determination, grit or preparedness. It could not be any of those things because teams from the Sunbelt aren't worthy to even be on the same field with a mighty SEC team. I love all of the upsets! Let 'em keep coming! Sooner or later the underdogs are going to beat the "topdogs" enough, that it won't even make headlines anymore. Then maybe some of the networks will reevaluate some of their TV contracts with such conferences and "cut 'em down to size."

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Apparently he meant that the Tide have taken on a higher calling and are now going after the Japanese and the terrorists. Heaven only knows what they will do to the Japanese terrorists. My guess is that it will have something to do with moonshine.

A sign society has become too sensitive? Nobody had a problem when Lombardi alluded to battle/war:

Running a football team is no different than running any other kind of organization - an army, a political party or a business. The principles are the same. The object is to win - to beat the other guy. Maybe that sounds hard or cruel. I don't think it is.
I don't say these things because I believe in the 'brute' nature of man or that men must be brutalized to be combative. I believe in God, and I believe in human decency. But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has to work his heart out in a good cause and he's exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

A sign society has become too sensitive? Nobody had a problem when Lombardi alluded to battle/war:

Comparing football to war is nothing new... comparing a loss to a specific attack that killed over 3,000 Americans just a few years ago is idiotic.

On the other hand, I don't believe people are as offended by it as they would be had he used this analogy on, say... Sept 13th, 2001.

I don't think it's at all offensive that he used these events, I just think he needs to hire a speech writer. There are plenty of ways he could have mentioned the same events in metaphoric or hyperbolic means and made it not sound moronic.

To me, it didn't sound offensive, just retarded.

And i get the ham reference now, but what was he referring to as ham and what was he referring to as chicken?

Let's not go overboard with the hyperbole here...

It's obvious there is a clear distinction between what Lombardi said and what Saban said.

Talking about football as a "war" or "battle" in broad generalities is quite different from comparing a football game loss to a horrific attack that happened barely 6 years ago. And any attempt to say they are the same thing is quite a stretch.

Edited by UNTflyer

So because he's specific, it's tragic? oh I get it! WAR is heroic. LOSSES are tragic. Forgive me for not separating the two :blink:

Rediculous. AND you know it, and are just trying to stir a pot.

Lombardi, unlike Saban, had a certain way of stating something about the virtues of men at a very broad level in a more eloquent way than a tired and frustrated Saban wallowing and rolling in his own piss and feces after an embarrassing loss.