This Team Is Going To Persevere

Dodge2007

This entire program will persevere. Their is no quit and so many of these kids lay their guts on the field, many of them very young kids.

Ark. State gave us the run and we ran. Call it conservative but Dodge and Vizza took what they gave them. The big play (4th quarter)was late on 3rd and one yard and when Jamario got stuffed and lost yards. That was a back breaker. I wished he would have run the option because we haven't been stopped all season long on short yardage when we need Vizza to run like a full back on the option.

This team shows a lot of heart. The staff shows a lot of heart. This season will be the season when the program will look back and say "we persevered, we got through the bumps, and we are still standing, and now look at us."

This forum must do the same. Fireman Rick said " Dodge will never put in a TE......wrong. Fake Lonnie, I can't even begin about him because I would have to go on forever. Cooley said that many of our freshman are not even D-1 material...........wrong again.

We have all been wrong all season long on many opinions. I know I have been wrong the most.

BUT

The future of this team looks bright. The effort is unbelievable. Dodge will make huge strides like a freshman does from first season to the next. Call him whatever you want but TD is busting his ass and his ability and leadership shows up on the field at so many positions.

2007 is the foundation year. Sticks and bricks will be fully up in the spring. We'll lay the landscaping next fall and then we'll grow and take off.

Edited by Dodge2007

Nice post !

Next season you know the offense will be even better, with fewer mistakes. Since the defense is already the worst statistically in D1A, there is no where to go but up. It should not be difficult to achieve at least moderate improvement on the defensive side next season.

Despite the way things have gone, the team has been competitive in most games with a chance to win a majority of them. Kudos to the players (those that are left) and coaches for continuing to work hard and give their best effort on the field.

Personally, I am just as excited now about the future as I was prior to the start of the season.

And you have to admit, we have seen some exciting football in all but 3 of the games.

Edited by akriesman

Nice post !

Since the defense is already the worst statistically in D1A, there is no where to go but up.

See, that's the problem. What evidence do we have that we will get any better next year at this point? We lose a ton of starters on defense and we don't seem to be recruiting very well on defense at this point. Who's going to step up next year on defense? How is Mendoza going to recruit players in a defense that averages giving up 46 points per game. Call me a pessimist but I see more of the same on defense next year.

See, that's the problem. What evidence do we have that we will get any better next year at this point? We lose a ton of starters on defense and we don't seem to be recruiting very well on defense at this point. Who's going to step up next year on defense? How is Mendoza going to recruit players in a defense that averages giving up 46 points per game. Call me a pessimist but I see more of the same on defense next year.

I don't expect major improvement from the defense. But, it won't take that much improvement to allow this team to compete for the Sun Belt next year.

On paper, there will be many 1A teams with less talent than NT next season. It will be up to our coaches to get the most out of what they have. I am not one that thinks Mendoza absolutely must be fired. But, he needs to evaluate his own performance. Does coach Mendoza still have confidence in himself and his system ? If not, then he certainly needs to step down because there are plenty of coaches available that definately could get more out of the players we have.

Playing time. He can sell them on playing time. A lot of guys wanna start or have a good shot at starting at whatever school they go to. I'm sure the other posters here can throw out a list of guys that came from smaller profile schools that could've gone to the big-name programs but chose other schools because they figured they'd be on the bench all 4 years of their scholarships. Hey, if UNT had the classes and degree I wanted AND I had a good chance of being on the field, I'd give UNT a good look. I'd hate to spend hours in practice and whatnot to sit on the bench and be one of those guys with the scratch-free helmet.

And no one wants to be THAT guy.

As for the offense, I can't wait to see how that turns out. If they can improve the running game, then we'll be looking at a very balanced offense.

Pessimist!

Pessimist!

:P

Don't get me wrong, I hope I'm wrong. Let's see how recruiting plays out. Mendoza better be working overtime dude. For that matter Todge better be sitting in some big, fast defensive recruits houses soon. And if the NCAA allows Todge to do laundry and wash dishes, roll up the sleeves buddy!

Well we cant do a whole lot worse than last in the country

Nice post !

Next season you know the offense will be even better, with fewer mistakes. Since the defense is already the worst statistically in D1A, there is no where to go but up. It should not be difficult to achieve at least moderate improvement on the defensive side next season.

Despite the way things have gone, the team has been competitive in most games with a chance to win a majority of them. Kudos to the players (those that are left) and coaches for continuing to work hard and give their best effort on the field.

Personally, I am just as excited now about the future as I was prior to the start of the season.

And you have to admit, we have seen some exciting football in all but 3 of the games.

Yep - honestly, if you break it down to it lowest common denominator, even though at times it's really sucked. I still say, this year beats the HELL out of the last 2 years combined.

See my post here.

See my post here

To the rest of you. Please forgive me for the feeding.

Rick

Rick, come on now, you and I and several others discussed that Dodge always had trip sets or doubles and you said that He would not follow Missouri's and other programs lead. But your never wrong Rick, your the defensive genious with all the freakin stats stuck in your hat.

Yep - honestly, if you break it down to it lowest common denominator, even though at times it's really sucked. I still say, this year beats the HELL out of the last 2 years combined.

Agreed. While we've certainly laid some eggs, I've not looked into our upcoming games EXPECTING the team to lay an egg (which had been the case the last several years), despite the coaching transition and learning curve. We have seen some amazing football this year, especially compared to years past, where a lot of times the team just looked lost. Did we lose games we should've won? Yep. I'd actually have a hard time saying that about most games in the DD era.