U N T Defense Is The Worst, And It's Not Even Close

MeanGreen61

Two stats that still boggle my mind when I seen them printed. We are giving up nearly 50 points a GAME!! That's staggering!

And, we are giving up OVER THREE MORE TDs A GAME! From 25.3 last season to 49.whatever this year. How does a unit become 24 points worse in one year?

Thinking out loud here as I just thought of this while typing that last sentence. I know it might be rehashing an old debate, but maybe it helps in understanding things. Or not.

Let's look at the positive. NT has more than doubled its offensive output from last season. While there are many factors that go into it, what would you say is number 1? Probably coaching right? Well, our defense has almost doubled in what it allows, so same question.

Let's look at the positive. NT has more than doubled its offensive output from last season. While there are many factors that go into it, what would you say is number 1? Probably coaching right? Well, our defense has almost doubled in what it allows, so same question.

Now you've done it ! It's not fair to use common sense and logic regarding our defensive woes. ;)

Edited by MeanGreen61

The punt that pinned us inside our 5 yard line was luck, pure and simple. The punter was attempting to fake the punt and run. He got a lucky kick off on a dead run to his right.

No coach would have been happy to see a player around that ball. 95 times out of 100 that ball goes into the end zone. The punt return made the correct decision it was simply a bad luck situation.

Island Eagle

Yes, lets not be mindlessly critical. The punt receiver had moved up to help out against the possible run (as he should) and then backed up when the kick occurred. He had a very bad angle and would have had to field the punt over his shoulder inside the 10 with two defenders racing in on him. He ABSOLUTELY made the right decision.

Fella's, I certainly hope it's not that it caught us by surprise and as IE stated, "The punt reciever had moved up to help out against the possible run.." because that would mean that no one on our staff watched a single game of Navy's this season as that has been how they always punt. I've seen all of Navy's games on tv this year. Navy punter Greg Veteto is right footed and always runs to his right and then soccer style kicks it away. He's kept it one time and rushed for a 1st down and did it on October 10th against Pittsburgh, a game that was on regular ESPN. And the fact that he always runs to his right, which he nearly has to in order to pull this off, you have to wonder why we were not overloading the right to go after him? Your punt returner has one job, catch the damn ball, not come up for run support. If he's the final man between a punter and the goal line it doesn't really matter at that point. I swear, what IE stated is exactly what it looked like we did. And if so, you have to ask why?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Island Eagle

Fella's, I certainly hope it's not that it caught us by surprise and as IE stated, "The punt reciever had moved up to help out against the possible run.." because that would mean that no one on our staff watched a single game of Navy's this season as that has been how they always punt. I've seen all of Navy's games on tv this year. Navy punter Greg Veteto is right footed and always runs to his right and then soccer style kicks it away. He's kept it one time and rushed for a 1st down and did it on October 10th against Pittsburgh, a game that was on regular ESPN. And the fact that he always runs to his right, which he nearly has to in order to pull this off, you have to wonder why we were not overloading the right to go after him? Your punt returner has one job, catch the damn ball, not come up for run support. If he's the final man between a punter and the goal line it doesn't really matter at that point. I swear, what IE stated is exactly what it looked like we did. And if so, you have to ask why?

Rick

With the punter running like that makes it perfectly legal to smear him across the field if he's still holding the football. So, why not go after him if scrambles every time he does that?

Island Eagle

Rick

I am not sure anyone (besides those that play and coach) really know what this defense does during the week, yet alone watch. Southbendgreen just posted it again and I still can't believe it everytime I read it, but this team is giving up near double what it did last year and that is just amazing. Did we get any reasons from Dodge tonight at the coaches show as to what happened on the defensive side of the ball? Surely they have watched the game film by now.

Vito is showing some STUNNINGLY big cojones here.

He is a beat writer, calling out the coaches of the team he is covering.

Anyone remember when Tim MacMahon called out the offensive line and their coaches a few years ago? Weeks later he was "promoted" to covering area high school for the Morning News.

Good job Vito! You just may be promoted to the DMN with those insightful questions, like T-Mac. Seriously, the defensive questions needed to be asked (and answered) ASAP. It's obvious it's not all just the players or lack of but what the players are doing and where they are on the field....which goes directly to where TD has to make the call.... Yes, Phil Bennett is available, and Gary DeLoach may be soon too.