Brett Vito: Poor Start Could Hurt The Future

NT80

Brett Vito: Poor start could hurt the future

11:32 PM CDT on Sunday, October 28, 2007

The lights had just been dimmed at Fouts Field after North Texas’ loss to Middle Tennessee on Saturday night when a fan shouted a phrase from the stands few saw coming.

Someone suggested that new UNT head coach Todd Dodge “go back to Southlake Carroll” as players filed toward their locker room after falling 48-28.

The opinion is one few share. Eight games into Year 1 of a new coaching regime is way too soon to be jumping off the bandwagon, but it does raise the question: Just how much is a horrible 1-7 start going to cost UNT and its new coaching regime?

In sports, every play, every game and every season has its consequence. This is no different.

When UNT started out just a few months ago, it seemed like recruits couldn’t sign on with the Mean Green fast enough. A local couple kicked in $1.5 million to study what it will take for UNT to build a new football stadium. Publications from across the state and the country wrote their own version of Dodge's story of jumping from the high school ranks to serve as a college head coach.

Look around and it’s obvious that the Mean Green is losing at least a little steam at this point. A nice crowd of 18,181 showed up for homecoming, but one would have thought there would be more people on hand after UNT drew more than 20,000 for its home opener a few weeks ago.

By the time MTSU had finished off UNT, hundreds had long since fled the stands.

A few recruits were on hand to see the game while in town on official visits. UNT’s staff could miss out on the vast majority of its top targets at this point and still put together a great class, thanks to the players who committed to the Mean Green early on.

One has to wonder if the chance to land one of those recruiting classes, or players who change everything, is slipping away.

Players commit to schools and coaches for more than wins and losses, but who knows if a solid season would have brought the Mean Green the next Brandon Kennedy or Jamario Thomas, two of the state-ranked recruits who have made a big impact for the Mean Green over the years.

At this point, it’s obvious this team needs help next season. UNT needs offensive and defensive linemen. It needs speed on defense. It needs help on special teams.

At UNT’s Athletic Hall of Fame breakfast on Saturday morning, school officials talked about how much the Mean Green needs a new stadium. That’s not exactly a news flash, but it’s going to take a lot of money to make that dream a reality.

That money is going to be a whole lot easier to come by if the Mean Green can win a few games and convince someone with the wherewithal to pony up an eight-figure donation that the program is worth the investment.

Talk to UNT’s players, and it is obvious they will do just about anything to win for their new coaches and the fans who support them. No one is giving up, even now that the Mean Green is guaranteed its third straight losing season.

“I saw a bunch of guys out there laying it all on the line to try and win the game,” Dodge said. “I couldn’t be more proud of the effort of this team and I hope the fans that came tonight were proud of their effort.”

Football is a results-oriented business, though.

Dodge didn’t have a lot to work with when he arrived and has struggled to produce like many expected him to in his first year at UNT.

The expectation of immediate results was probably unrealistic, but the Mean Green hasn’t made a whole lot of progress either. A UNT defense that allowed 25.3 points a game last year ranks dead last nationally this season with an average of 46.5 points allowed a game, despite having largely the same cast of players.

UNT still has plenty of time to turn it around under Dodge, who – despite some suggestions that he should get out of town – isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

But after yet another loss, one has to wonder what might be slipping away from the Mean Green during the wait for a turnaround that won't be coming until at least next season.

I still believe that Todd Dodge can turn things around. As for Mendoza............................... chirp, chirp. Listen, we have to get someone that can put some confidence in our defensive players. We have been terrible on defense. How do you create 7 turnovers and still give up 45 points? How do we own the clock for 40 minutes vs. ULL and still give up 38? Its been a long season but the future only looks brighter. I feel for Coach Mendoza. I'm sure he's given it everything he's had but we need someone with more experience at this level.

I've wondered many of the same things Vito wrote about. I sure hope this season isn't killing our recruiting efforts. I sure hope the coaches prepped the recruits for this possibility so that they are not too surprised by it.

While I believe the results will have somewhat of a factor, I don't think it will hurt long term as long as the team continues to improve.

UH and UCF are good recent examples that even winless seasons don't keep the good recruits away. I would think that the direction the program is headed (positive or negative), the offensive and defensive systems in place, and the likability and enthusiasm of the head coach and his staff are important factors too besides just straight W-L results.

Just thoughts from a Monday morning quarterback.

The Todd Dodge name is still working on his friends....the high school coaches. One advantage of this season is that we can tell the high quality recruits....they will get playing time to help right the ship. I just hope we get some JC recruits...especially in the OL line...who could start, and a couple of high quality freshmen DL and DE who can step in an play. I understand most HS OL recruits need at least a year to beef up and strenthen them.

A new coach at Baylor, SMU and possibly UTEP should help our recruiting efforts, especially those who have previously commited to SMU and Baylor. I don't think A$M recruits swing our way...they think their tooooooooooooooogooddddddddddd.

I read that Missouri is crashing in on the A$M recruits. They just commited CB Kip Edwards...HS star.

Brett Vito: Poor start could hurt the future

11:32 PM CDT on Sunday, October 28, 2007

The lights had just been dimmed at Fouts Field after North Texas’ loss to Middle Tennessee on Saturday night when a fan shouted a phrase from the stands few saw coming.

Someone suggested that new UNT head coach Todd Dodge “go back to Southlake Carroll” as players filed toward their locker room after falling 48-28.

The opinion is one few share. Eight games into Year 1 of a new coaching regime is way too soon to be jumping off the bandwagon, but it does raise the question: Just how much is a horrible 1-7 start going to cost UNT and its new coaching regime?

In sports, every play, every game and every season has its consequence. This is no different.

When UNT started out just a few months ago, it seemed like recruits couldn’t sign on with the Mean Green fast enough. A local couple kicked in $1.5 million to study what it will take for UNT to build a new football stadium. Publications from across the state and the country wrote their own version of Dodge's story of jumping from the high school ranks to serve as a college head coach.

Look around and it’s obvious that the Mean Green is losing at least a little steam at this point. A nice crowd of 18,181 showed up for homecoming, but one would have thought there would be more people on hand after UNT drew more than 20,000 for its home opener a few weeks ago.

By the time MTSU had finished off UNT, hundreds had long since fled the stands.

A few recruits were on hand to see the game while in town on official visits. UNT’s staff could miss out on the vast majority of its top targets at this point and still put together a great class, thanks to the players who committed to the Mean Green early on.

One has to wonder if the chance to land one of those recruiting classes, or players who change everything, is slipping away.

Players commit to schools and coaches for more than wins and losses, but who knows if a solid season would have brought the Mean Green the next Brandon Kennedy or Jamario Thomas, two of the state-ranked recruits who have made a big impact for the Mean Green over the years.

At this point, it’s obvious this team needs help next season. UNT needs offensive and defensive linemen. It needs speed on defense. It needs help on special teams.

At UNT’s Athletic Hall of Fame breakfast on Saturday morning, school officials talked about how much the Mean Green needs a new stadium. That’s not exactly a news flash, but it’s going to take a lot of money to make that dream a reality.

That money is going to be a whole lot easier to come by if the Mean Green can win a few games and convince someone with the wherewithal to pony up an eight-figure donation that the program is worth the investment.

Talk to UNT’s players, and it is obvious they will do just about anything to win for their new coaches and the fans who support them. No one is giving up, even now that the Mean Green is guaranteed its third straight losing season.

“I saw a bunch of guys out there laying it all on the line to try and win the game,” Dodge said. “I couldn’t be more proud of the effort of this team and I hope the fans that came tonight were proud of their effort.”

Football is a results-oriented business, though.

Dodge didn’t have a lot to work with when he arrived and has struggled to produce like many expected him to in his first year at UNT.

The expectation of immediate results was probably unrealistic, but the Mean Green hasn’t made a whole lot of progress either. A UNT defense that allowed 25.3 points a game last year ranks dead last nationally this season with an average of 46.5 points allowed a game, despite having largely the same cast of players.

UNT still has plenty of time to turn it around under Dodge, who – despite some suggestions that he should get out of town – isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

But after yet another loss, one has to wonder what might be slipping away from the Mean Green during the wait for a turnaround that won't be coming until at least next season.

I think it goes both ways. Our best recruiting class ever was landed in the midst of being absolutely terrible (2000?--with Booger/Buckles/etc). We give players the chance to play early and get in while building up tradition. That and most kids still know Dodge---and like OldTimer said---their COACHES know him and trust him. The kids might get scared a little by our record, but I bet many of their coaches are telling them otherwise. I've got a few ex-HS level coaches in my family who are not as close to the situation in Denton as I am...but they keep up with it....and EVERY one of them still expects good things here at NT while Dodge is on board. He is truly respected around the state....mostly b/c of how he handles his life and the way he cares for the kids in the program while still running a tight ship. Hearing what ex-players like Mitch Maher say (when he's commented on this board in the past about Dodge) only reinforces that thought in my mind.