1st Practice Report

SUMG

I only stayed an hour or so.....so others who were there may want to add stuff that I missed.

1) We are once again going to be very athletic. We've added a lot of other athletic players to the mix. (our new guys).

2) Quincy and Harold Stewart both looked like they had hit the weights...both have really toned arms.

3) Even though he's redshirting....Mangrum was suited up. He didn't participate in many drills (if any). But, the fact that he wasn't in street clothes....makes me think that he'll be able to start practicing in the near future.

4) Freshman Josh White....has great ball handling skills.

5) Some great hops out of Adam McCoy---an unbelievable dunk.

6) Kedrick Hogans----when we signed him late (in June or so)....some thought he was a "reach." I think you'll change your mind, once you see him. Good player, lots of potential.

7) First fight of the practice...occurred about 10 minutes into...as Odufuwa and Wooden tangled up. Some other guys piled on top of them...and then JJ jumped in to separate everyone. No harm done. Later on, drex and I started fighting in the stands and JJ had to separate us, as well.

8) There were probably 30-40 fans watching the practice...I'd say.

9) With the addition of Tic Price....we really have a seasoned coaching staff. A lot of expertise and experience for JJ to go to...

Anyway....that's just some of the stuff...that I noticed. I think every kid out there has the potential to contribute...and I think you're really going to like what the newcomers bring to the table.

Others may add their thoughts.........

Edited by SUMG

I only stayed an hour or so.....so others who were there may want to add stuff that I missed.

1) We are once again going to be very athletic. We've added a lot of other athletic players to the mix. (our new guys).

2) Quincy and Harold Stewart both looked like they had hit the weights...both have really toned arms.

3) Even though he's redshirting....Mangrum was suited up. He didn't participate in many drills (if any). But, the fact that he wasn't in street clothes....makes me think that he'll be able to start practicing in the near future.

4) Freshman Josh White....has great ball handling skills.

5) Some great hops out of Adam McCoy---an unbelievable dunk.

6) Kedrick Hogans----when we signed him late (in June or so)....some thought he was a "reach." I think you'll change your mind, once you see him. Good player, lots of potential.

7) First fight of the practice...occurred about 10 minutes into...as Odufuwa and Wooden tangled up. Some other guys piled on top of them...and then JJ jumped in to separate everyone. No harm done. Later on, drex and I started fighting in the stands and JJ had to separate us, as well.

8) There were probably 30-40 fans watching the practice...I'd say.

9) With the addition of Tic Price....we really have a seasoned coaching staff. A lot of expertise and experience for JJ to go to...

Anyway....that's just some of the stuff...that I noticed. I think every kid out there has the potential to contribute...and I think you're really going to like what the newcomers bring to the table.

Others may add their thoughts.........

Very nice roundup....Thanks.

BTW...here's a disclaimer: First practice reports are notorious for being glowing. They were mostly doing drills....in which you can see athleticism....but until they practice and scrimmage...it's hard to pick out flaws.

That being said....we do look very athletic. I didn't see anyone woefully out of shape.....they all look in good shape, as a matter of fact.

Speaking of athleticism...Justin Howerton is very athletic. He's mobile and agile.....runs the court really well. Don't know if he'll ever put it all together on the court.....but he has the tools to be a good player.

Did you mean to say that Odufuwa and Wooden were actually fighting?? Or just playing hard?

It was over before I knew it started. It certainly wasn't a Miami-FIU type fight. Both players continued through the rest of the scrimmage without incident. It is amazing this doesn't happen more often given the size and physical play of modern BB players.

Hey, if the "fight" happened, and with drex and SUMG both in attendance and reporting on it, I am 100% certain it took place, maybe it means we have some "fight in the team"...and a willingness to protect and defend the home court! O.K., a little dramatic there, but if it happened in the first practice, I tend to see it as a good thing for the long haul...you know how guys are when they "dust it up"...often much btter pals afterward then before....UNT may have the makings of another team that will make it to the "DANCE" again this year! Bring it on!

I'm not a basketball guy so pardon my ignorance but who is Tic Price - other than an asst. coach? The name sounds very familiar - where did he come from/what are his creds?

Thanks