Kudos For The Defense

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

Yes, I'm aware that we are last in most defensive categories and overall it may set a record for futility at North Texas. But, in looking at the stats (and thinking back to the game) there is one thing that stood out.....the defensive line.

The defensive line had more stops than the linebackers and backs combined. They had the two sacks recorded. Joseph Miller played like a man possessed. He was the leading tackler and had a sack. Chapman showed signs of being Chapman again. Montey Stevenson had a sack and some crucial tackles. The DL had 6 of the 7 tackles for loss. On 19 running plays, the defensive line held UL to gains of less than 3 yards.

The problem was the big plays once they cleared the line of scrimmage. Two of those were touchdown runs and the other a gain of 69 yards by Fenroy that led to another score.

We may or may not see improvement in the overall defense but I'm a lot less worried about the defensive line, at least.

Yes, I'm aware that we are last in most defensive categories and overall it may set a record for futility at North Texas. But, in looking at the stats (and thinking back to the game) there is one thing that stood out.....the defensive line.

The defensive line had more stops than the linebackers and backs combined. They had the two sacks recorded. Joseph Miller played like a man possessed. He was the leading tackler and had a sack. Chapman showed signs of being Chapman again. Montey Stevenson had a sack and some crucial tackles. The DL had 6 of the 7 tackles for loss. On 19 running plays, the defensive line held UL to gains of less than 3 yards.

The problem was the big plays once they cleared the line of scrimmage. Two of those were touchdown runs and the other a gain of 69 yards by Fenroy that led to another score.

We may or may not see improvement in the overall defense but I'm a lot less worried about the defensive line, at least.

Adding a little outside containment with our "D" this year may have translated into a win or 2, too; who knows, still may yet.

I'm satisfied that we have almost half the battle won during these beginning days of the DodgeBall Era and that would be our offense. Do you have the feeling that it could one day be an unstoppable juggernaut? Even SMU'ers were duly impressed with what they saw with our offense only the 2'nd time it had been on the field of battle during the TDodge Era.

Now its just the simple matter :rolleyes: of getting our "D" back in focus and then we start our march to what I really believe could be higher mountaintops than we saw during the Hayden Fry Era in Mean Green Country, GrayEagleOne. I really do believe that even as we shoot for win #1. FWIW, the SBC has shown us all to be a league you can finish last one year and then in 1'st place the next--we just need to be the SBC standard-bearer that gets Top 25 rankings with our future bowl teams. If the SBC champion beats us to the draw of doing that this December--it will be fine with most all of us I'm sure.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm satisfied that we have almost half the battle won during these beginning days of the DodgeBall Era and that would be our offense. Do you have the feeling that it could one day be an unstoppable juggernaut? Even SMU'ers were duly impressed with what they saw with our offense only the 2'nd time it had been on the field of battle during the TDodge Era.

GMG!

There's something I can agree with.

Looking forward to Dodge solidifying the offense next year with some great recruits coming in. The OL looks to get a BIG boost next year. It is very encouraging to see what Missouri has done in the short time running that offense. I do think we have "the man" when it comes to offense.

I am also looking forward to seeing how this safety we have coming in pans out. Hopefully he will be a force. It looks to me as well that we are recruiting more speed this year, which is a welcome change.

With our D I have noticed one thing that seems to be pretty common for the most part.....

We either stop them to a 3 and out immediately. Or they score immediately. We don't really hold them to those long drives so much.

I think that is odd.

Might explain why we dominated in time of possession against UL-L.

With our D I have noticed one thing that seems to be pretty common for the most part.....

We either stop them to a 3 and out immediately. Or they score immediately. We don't really hold them to those long drives so much.

I think that is odd.

SMU, FAU, and ULL are a combined 13/41 on 3rd downs vs. us. 31.7%. that would rank us around the top 25 or so.

including Arkansas and OU, we have allowed a 39.4% 3rd down conversion rate, which ranks us at #70.

of course, teams haven't had to convert a whole lot of 3rd downs vs. us for the most part, as they bust huge plays on 1st and 2nd down.

Just some things I noticed also.

I watched a replay through the first quarter last night and noticed on several of the stops Grey is talking about our defense SHIFTED(YEAH..........A NOTICABLE CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CAN YOU DIG IT?) into what looks like a 6 and 1, in which the outside LB's(Monroe and Holman) crept up onto the LOS but did not get down, and then blitzed. So I take back all I said about the lack of attempts to change from the first quarter. What we did the final 3 I don't know yet. But on ULL's first score after the turnover in which they had their second short field opportunity, we went back to a 4-3 and ULL caught us in a blitz on the screen play to our right and Holman blitzed in and took himself right out of the play. The only corner coming up got screened off and it was all pasture from then on. Great call by ULL there, bad call by NT.

Also, I noticed on the second Pick that Vizza threw, Stickler did a wheel route to the outside on the right, and BJax ran a 10 and in post. GV threw the ball to the outside right when BJax turned inside and the DB squated and made the play. I got the feeling though that pass was intended to go down the seam because had it done so BJax could have walked in because he had the DB beat by 5 yards. Great call, poor execution.

I feel sorry for the opponent, whoever it may be when and if we ever put together a solid game for 4 quarters and execute like we know how.

Rick

I think that is odd.

I would suggest that is sideline to sideline speed (or lack thereof) at the linebacking position.

Also, I noticed on the second Pick that Vizza threw, Stickler did a wheel route to the outside on the right, and BJax ran a 10 and in post. GV threw the ball to the outside right when BJax turned inside and the DB squated and made the play. I got the feeling though that pass was intended to go down the seam because had it done so BJax could have walked in because he had the DB beat by 5 yards. Great call, poor execution.

If MEAGER had thrown this pick, this board would have had at least 17 threads devoted to this pass. The GREAT Gio throws this pick and two others and nobody is on him.

I believe Vizza is the QB of the future and am glad he is playing, but come on people. Let's be somewhat consistant on this board. If we're going to crucify a QB for his performance. Then let's crucify the position and not the player.

If MEAGER had thrown this pick, this board would have had at least 17 threads devoted to this pass. The GREAT Gio throws this pick and two others and nobody is on him.

I believe Vizza is the QB of the future and am glad he is playing, but come on people. Let's be somewhat consistant on this board. If we're going to crucify a QB for his performance. Then let's crucify the position and not the player.

We talked about this time and time again. We are all much more forgiving of the TRUE FRESHMAN than for the junior who is in his third year starting. And I think that is more than understandable.

So we will be more strict with one and not so much with another.