One Of The Worse Officiated Games In Recent Memory

FirefightnRick

I wanted to see if the others who attended the game yesterday could remember the incredible blatent bad calls/non calls in yesterday's game? I know every officiating crew is going to miss some calls from now and then, and even though it felt like we were running in quicksand trying to get anything going, it was making it that much more difficult to do just that with the calls. It didn't piss me off that much because the game was never close, and it wouldn't have made that much difference in the outcome because we played so poorly but it was just comical to watch the outright dismissal of the term fair and unbias judgeing of a sporting event.

Brandon Jackson's holding call down field in which he's blocking two guys who lays him out as Fitz runs on a catch for what would have been a 30 something yard gain. You never knew if and when they would show a replay but on many of the bad calls, they would and on this play they did. The DB's downfeld have ahold of B Jacks jersey and throw him down as they run Fitz out of bounds yet they threw a flag on BJacks for holding? Killing of a nice drive at that point.

Twice, having to score our TD? Vizza, right in front of us clearly sails over the goal line nearly untouched yet he somehow, miraculously grew a third knee from somewhere behind him that touched down at the 1 inch line and the sideline judge comes in and marks him down? This may have been the worse of all of them?

Punt returner for AU picks up the punt with his knee clearly on the ground and is allowed to continue? Again, right in front of our section in wide open space.

AU reciever runs a corner route just before halftime but Dick throws a seem to the right hashmark. The ball hits about 10 yards away from reciever and defender who neither is even looking for the ball, PASS INTERFERENCE is called that moved AU closer to allow a last second field goal try.

There were others I sure someone here remembers.

Arkansas didn't have but 1 penalty until the final 5 minutes of the game.

Rick

The U of A had 2 penalties for 15 yards until the closing minutes of the game. :blink:

You expect a conference like the SEC to have better officials, but wow, there some really bad calls in that game. People dog the Belt officials, but SEC's didn't look much better IMHO.

What kills me is that we force Arkansas 3 and out on their first possession and we get called for 12 men on the field on a PUNT return, yes a PUNT RETURN, so they get the ball back and score a few plays later they score. I knew it was going to be a long game as soon as that happened.

What kills me is that we force Arkansas 3 and out on their first possession and we get called for 12 men on the field on a PUNT return, yes a PUNT RETURN, so they get the ball back and score a few plays later they score. I knew it was going to be a long game as soon as that happened.

Special teams killed us, once again for sure. But I'm still not convinced the ref didn't miscount? I'd have to see a replay of it on that play. But why would anyone be on the field during a punt return if they haven't practiced on the punt return coverage team all week? More than likely, and as the way things were going for us yesterday, we had one person jogging off the field and the refs, seeing another opportunity to get involved early, decided to include him as being on the field at the snap of the ball? Who knows?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Sigh- no matter how bad the refs were, can we cut complaining about them to games where we stay within fifty points? I know Rick is not a whiner and is just making points he saw, but we sure have seen a lot of terribly officiated games for our school and others mentioned on this board since the season started.

Besides, I think God making them fumble inside the five twice late kind of evens it all out. 66-7 sounds much better than 80-7....wait, no it doesn't...

Sigh- no matter how bad the refs were, can we cut complaining about them to games where we stay within fifty points? I know Rick is not a whiner and is just making points he saw, but we sure have seen a lot of terribly officiated games for our school and others mentioned on this board since the season started.

Besides, I think God making them fumble inside the five twice late kind of evens it all out. 66-7 sounds much better than 80-7....wait, no it doesn't...

No. I was at the game. FfRick is right....just inexcuseable chickensh!t for the refs to be as involved as they were in a game that we came into looking over-matched. Make no mistake, several of the calls in this game were huge confidence killers for our players....which directly affects how quickly the score can get out of hand. You'd like to be able to say that your team is playing with enough confidence to shrug that kind of stuff off, but unfortunately we are NOT a confident team right now.

I thought our offense did a much better job of keeping their heads up and trying to fight through it. Our defense looked lost---LBers freezing up instead of attacking...just look like they are thinking too much out there at times. I still don't understand why we don't put in Mahan/L. Brown/etc on the weakside LBer spot....we are INCREDIBLY slow to the edges. For the life of me I don't know why our starting LBers are Holman/Mendoza/Monroe. I'd keep Holman out there, but would find a way to get Mahan and L. Brown(and his clone---can't remember his name right now) out there on the weakside and rotate Monroe/Robertson at strong. We have to get some speed out on the field.

Um, the officials should be calling a good game in any game. I've seen this homerism BS too many times. Let the teams play the game. Can we not complain about a bad call when it is obviously a bad call? What does the score have to do with it? Nothing.... well, except when one of those calls stops a drive, kills a team’s momentum, etc... it is why I don't care about the NBA. Full of chicken shit.

Edited by gruu

Um, the officials should be calling a good game in any game. I've seen this homerism BS too many times. Let the teams play the game. Can we not complain about a bad call when it is obviously a bad call? What does the score have to do with it? Nothing.... well, except when one of those calls stops a drive, kills a team’s momentum, etc... it is why I don't care about the NBA. Full of chicken shit.

Yes, you can do whatever you want. My complaint is a culture of whining at this school that doesnt help you be taken seriously as you move up the ladder. It plagues DFW as a market, so I guess I shouldn't expect it to end with us. I am just sick of getting mocking emails and comments from friends from other schools who read this board and talk to our fans and cannot believe it is an issue. But people have a right to say whatever they want. Go nuts, everybody, show those refs who is boss.

Yes, you can do whatever you want. My complaint is a culture of whining at this school that doesnt help you be taken seriously as you move up the ladder. It plagues DFW as a market, so I guess I shouldn't expect it to end with us. I am just sick of getting mocking emails and comments from friends from other schools who read this board and talk to our fans and cannot believe it is an issue. But people have a right to say whatever they want. Go nuts, everybody, show those refs who is boss.

No one is whining. Read the first post again where I stated it would not have made much of a difference. But it was an obvious part of it and became comical throughout the first half.

And how can you, of all posters, complain about people taking people seriously?

Rick

No one is whining. Read the first post again where I stated it would not have made much of a difference. But it was an obvious part of it and became comical throughout the first half.

And how can you, of all posters, complain about people taking people seriously?

Rick

I said I know that you are not whining - I should have clarified. But these posts as whole seem to be the enabler for others to whine about everything else that happens. I posted at a point where I am sick of hearing about how it is always the fault of someone who is not here or not fully responsible, whether that be Dickey, Bobby Ray, SMU, Texas, the Big 12, Ahmad Rashad, Kige Ramsey, spare basketball ref against UTA, the fans, Mandy McKinley, etc.

I really was not calling you out in the way I think you guys took it, but I just have trouble looking at what could have been a 100 point beating.

I personally don't care about being taken seriously. You know that. I do get mad when people mock our fan base as much as I had to hear this week and this season. You guys are like my handicapped little brother. I'll tease you all I want, but the moment someone else does I just get pissed and snap.