Why Are You A Unt Fan?

I hope that no one takes what I am about to say in the wrong way. I am a UNT fan for the same reason that I went to UNT. Though there are some people who come to UNT because their parents and grandparents went to UNT, and thus UNT was their destination school all along, that is not the reason most people come to UNT. Most people choose UNT (undergrads at least) because it is a place that first-generation college students come...people who were like myself...doing it completely on their own. I got a pat on the back and a word of encouragement from my family, but not one dime of support. UNT is a place for the underdog to make something out of his/her life...to turn the tide of their future, for oneself and for the family that comes after us. I am a UNT fan because I like being a part of a pick-yourself-up kind of school. My kids won't have to look at their parents (my wife is a first-gen UNT grad too) and wonder what it would be like to have college educated parents...and how different life could be. Hopefully for my kids, UNT will be their destination school. That's why.

Great post 88!

I came to UNT on a whim...had most of my paperwork lined up for USAFA, then it dawned on me I should try being an art major at UNT. I came for freshman orientation and I was pleased with the school as a whole, loved the people, really loved the women, but I didn't know about the football program and to that point, didn't much care. But, I still loved the school and talked about how much I liked everything here.

In 2002, I dropped into the MTSU game at homecoming on another whim and I was impressed with the team. That spring, I joined Talons and got hooked on the school even more. All-in-all, UNT has been a great experience, even though it took me longer to complete the bachelor's degree experience than I would've initially liked. This is my home university, my alma mater. Unlike my old high school, UNT means a great deal to me, and I'm going to try to make it the same for my kids.