Frustration At Student Ignorance

UNTflyer

So last night I was in class trying to talk up the program to some classmates and here are a few questions I heard:

- Didn't UNT get a new coach this year?

- Does UNT play any good teams?

- UNT isn't even Div-I, are they?

<_<

blame it on the relics of the prior admins before Dr. B and RV. Some of the old croons just need to go and bring in others who have school spriit.

So last night I was in class trying to talk up the program to some classmates and here are a few questions I heard:

<_<

Well my wife works at the University and sometimes I take her to work, and I can tell you there are FAR more students up there wearing green and UNT shirts and hats today then there was 10 years ago when I was in classes there. I would wear UNT shirts mostly on home game weeks, and it was good to see 3 or 4 people walking across campus with something green or UNT on them. It still has a long ways to go, but I bet you could ask some of those same questions at UT and you would get the same answers - some people are just clueless.

Don't get too worked up over the student "lack of knowledge" regarding the football team. If I were a betting man, I'd bet they have not picked up a newspaper or watched a TV news cast in some time, and probably will not in the future. It is just a sample of the way things seem to be today with "young folks". Heck, the second they graduate they seem to think they should be the president of the company! The "gotta have it now generation with the don't have a clue common sense". O.K., maybe that was a bit harsh, but give them some time, let the team start showing some real progress (they will...and soon) and the word will get to them. I have witnessed not only student apathy, but faculty and staff apathy and fan apathy for many years...just look across the field at the student section and you'll know what I mean...and they get in cheap!

But, this "bettin' man" says, hide and watch and things will improve. I think we will see the day soon when students and non-student fans alike will be worried about getting tickets to a UNT game. It's coming......

Put a great product on the field, play some good and "known" teams, start a campaign for a new stadium and all things change...It's up and up for the Mean Green from there.

BEAT ARKANSAS!!!!! GO MEAN GREEN!!!!! JOIN THE EXES!!!!! BUY A SINK NAVY T-SHIRT!!!!! Have a great weekend! :lol:

<_<

What do you expect from a bunch of bandwagon/closet Whorn/Faiders/Aggie/Fonies fans?

Sitting behind me in my section, Section F, is a university teacher/professor. When it came time to sing the alma mater her friend said, "Do you know the words to Glory to the Green"?

She replied, "No, but I guess I should. They have been giving me a check for the past 15 years."

This same person spent her time looking for "that poor hawk that must be in distress" everytime the EAGLE sound effect was played.

These "fans" left at halftime.

Education for many students starts with how much pride is shown in the classroom.

Having just graduated, I believe that I can shed some light on this.

Most students know that Dodge is our coach, so that's a good thing. But wether we like it or not, UNT is the one of the finest liberal arts and fine arts school in the state. That is not conducive to a football program, so we have to work harder to get people out to the game.

As far as average student No. 17 is concerned, we play three games this year. Oklahoma, SMU and Arkansas.

To sound like a broken record, the problem is student fan support is the SunBelt (which even football knowledgeable students often confuse with the Southland). That's just the way it's going to be. There might be change if we played teams such as Boise St, TCU, and the entirety of the CUSA West (which would be a step down from the Sun Belt, the way things are this year). Sorry, and no disrespect intended, but to a student playing teams like the ULs and MTSU sounds like a FCS schedule.

In short, we should have taken the WAC's offer. Water, bridge. We need to bribe our way into the CUSA.

Sorry, and no disrespect intended, but to a student playing teams like the ULs and MTSU sounds like a FCS schedule.

To be honest, that's what I thought when I first looked at the Sunbelt. And the name even sounds like a Div-1AA conference. But with impressive non-conf performances from Troy, FAU, Ark State, and eventually UNT, I think the Belt is well underway in building up the attention and respect it deserves. I hope so anyway.

But wether we like it or not, UNT is the one of the finest liberal arts and fine arts school in the state. That is not conducive to a football program, so we have to work harder to get people out to the game.

Exactly, thats why we need to concentrate on building our nice business and engineering programs so we can diversify our student body.

Pretty much everything you've all said is true. Believe me, we're working on it. We've issued challenges to the Student Development staff to wear green on Fridays, we put on rockin' pep rallies, and we have signage and paraphernalia EVERYWHERE on campus during home-game weeks. We talk about it at organization meetings, and we talk about it to people when we go to the bar.

The pride you see on campus is better even since I started going to school here in 2005. I honestly think the ONLY thing we're lacking at this point is wins. Even the soccer team is getting more recognition based on their record alone! Students are going to those games, and the stands are pretty packed. Right now, the football team is being pigeon-holed as a do-nothing football team of a liberal arts school. Get some victories under our belts, and student attitudes will change.

Having just graduated, I believe that I can shed some light on this.

Most students know that Dodge is our coach, so that's a good thing. But wether we like it or not, UNT is the one of the finest liberal arts and fine arts school in the state. That is not conducive to a football program, so we have to work harder to get people out to the game.

As far as average student No. 17 is concerned, we play three games this year. Oklahoma, SMU and Arkansas.

To sound like a broken record, the problem is student fan support is the SunBelt (which even football knowledgeable students often confuse with the Southland). That's just the way it's going to be. There might be change if we played teams such as Boise St, TCU, and the entirety of the CUSA West (which would be a step down from the Sun Belt, the way things are this year). Sorry, and no disrespect intended, but to a student playing teams like the ULs and MTSU sounds like a FCS schedule.

In short, we should have taken the WAC's offer. Water, bridge. We need to bribe our way into the CUSA.

Have to agree with this. Trying to explain most of the time who our opponents are gets old. I can't decide if I want a new stadium more or new conference. :(

Is average student #17 going to have more respect for Alabama-Birmingham, South Floirda, and Tulane than Louisana-Monroe, Florida Atlantic, and Troy ? Not to disagree, but for many people, being a football fan means knowing who the quaterback for the Cowboys is. It's very likely that the Sun Belt will have a winning record against C USA this season. But for many, the preception won't change.

for now, build up the Sun Belt, our conference home

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN-BEAT ARKANSAS