Meager's True Colors?

tommyp

I did not get to go to the game but I did listen to most of it. George Dunham made it sould like DM was day dreaming most of the game? His passes seemed flat and his picks came at the worst possible times. He also questioned his arm-strength a few times? I did not get to see it so let me know what ya'll think?

GMG-

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted so badly to believe that Meager would be good this year. Can he run around escape potential sacks? Yes. Can he throw a fairly accurate 4 yard out? Yes. Can he run a successful QB draw/sweep? Yes. Is he a talented passer? NO!

I'm sorry, but this is TWO GAMES in a row where we were in it with a legitimate chance to win UNTIL Meager decided to start making bone headed decisions. In all fairness, the deep ball tonight wasn't a bad decision but more a clear example of his extremely weak arm.

I'll say one more thing about Meager and then I'll lay off for a while, and you can mark this down and read it all season long:

EVEN THE MAGIC OF THE TODD DODGE SPREAD CAN'T COMPENSATE FOR THE SUCK FACTOR OF A DANIEL MEAGER.

Poor Meager is playing to the best of his abilities guys. SMU didn't pressure him as much as FAU and it made all the difference in the world. Quite frankly, he scares the hell out of me when he is under pressure. He continues to hold the ball too long and forces too many passes when the receiver is clearly covered. This was a W until the blunders. Riley Dodge, his 4.4 speed and elusiveness in the pocket is our guy. Have not seen enough of Vizza, so I must trust TD.

Got to put some of the L on T. Dodge. Jamario was in a groove and we chose to put the game in Meager hands.

Other thoughts:

Venegas was beat on every play.

What happened to Nuredeen? (sp)

Glad to see Gilmore's 6-5 presence at DE (Although he didn't do anything)

Has Evan Roman ever fielded a punt? His judgment on the ball location needs work.

I sat behind Hal Wassen and a nice contingent of SL players & fans

SMU had a lot of pee wee football league kids at their game to help attendance. Can we do this as well?

Guest GrayEagleOne

I think that George Dunham was very observant.

He does ok on short passes and is doing better at elusiveness and not holding on too long. But, his medium and long throws will eventually kill us. He has four touchdowns and seven picks; two of those picks were the turning point of the last two losses. A 1:1 TD/INT ratio is hardly acceptable. His is almos 1:2.

Just guessing, but I seemed to detect that Dodge is beginning to see that the turnovers are killing us and I wouldn't be surprised to see Gio play against Arkansas if Meager continues to throw INTs.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Meager wasn't in it tonight...when you throw that many INTs, that says something.

Then he has said a lot in the last two games. 6 picks in two games won't cut it.

I wanted so badly to believe that Meager would be good this year. Can he run around escape potential sacks? Yes. Can he throw a fairly accurate 4 yard out? Yes. Can he run a successful QB draw/sweep? Yes. Is he a talented passer? NO!

I'm sorry, but this is TWO GAMES in a row where we were in it with a legitimate chance to win UNTIL Meager decided to start making bone headed decisions. In all fairness, the deep ball tonight wasn't a bad decision but more a clear example of his extremely weak arm.

I'll say one more thing about Meager and then I'll lay off for a while, and you can mark this down and read it all season long:

EVEN THE MAGIC OF THE TODD DODGE SPREAD CAN'T COMPENSATE FOR THE SUCK FACTOR OF A DANIEL MEAGER.

Great guy I am sure, but he just can't get it done at the end of the day. He drives me crazy. I have no idea what TD is waiting for in inserting Vizza. Dodge said that he wouldn't substitute until the offense wasn't moving with the current QB - well, it didn't move in the second half.

I have not idea why this guy plays. SMU game he couldn't stop getting penalities, tonight his guy just ran past him all game.

In Danny's defense.....

He was running for his life much of the night. The main reason FAU went to jumping the short routes in the second half is that they knew their 4-man rush pressure would not allow any double-move plays to develop downfield.

Continuous 2-and 20 from Holding penalties doesn't help.

Troy Aikman himself would have thrown picks on the 2 fade routes. I'm wondering if those were specifically called. If so, I hope they learn that fade routes are a misuse of B-Jack (negates his speed).

Stickler had 3 HUGE drops in the open field

In Danny's defense.....

He was running for his life much of the night. The main reason FAU went to jumping the short routes in the second half is that they knew their 4-man rush pressure would not allow any double-move plays to develop downfield.

Continuous 2-and 20 from Holding penalties doesn't help.

Troy Aikman himself would have thrown picks on the 2 fade routes. I'm wondering if those were specifically called. If so, I hope they learn that fade routes are a misuse of B-Jack (negates his speed).

Stickler had 3 HUGE drops in the open field

Sorry, not buyin'.

ANYBODY would be running for their lives if they had already had 5-7 quiet seconds in the backfield to think about what he was going to do.

...Danny DOES run well when under pressure, but at least half of the time that he was under pressure tonight was not because the Line wasn't doing a good job, but because they can't keep the D out of the back field for 10 seconds.

I think Meager is a GREAT guy, and he works his ass off, and really puts his heart into it. ...but he has to make faster, better decisions if he's going to improve.

Poor Meager is playing to the best of his abilities guys. SMU didn't pressure him as much as FAU and it made all the difference in the world. Quite frankly, he scares the hell out of me when he is under pressure. He continues to hold the ball too long and forces too many passes when the receiver is clearly covered. This was a W until the blunders. Riley Dodge, his 4.4 speed and elusiveness in the pocket is our guy. Have not seen enough of Vizza, so I must trust TD.

Got to put some of the L on T. Dodge. Jamario was in a groove and we chose to put the game in Meager hands.

Other thoughts:

What happened to Nuredeen? (sp)

Glad to see Gilmore's 6-5 presence at DE (Although he didn't do anything)

Has Evan Roman ever fielded a punt? His judgment on the ball location needs work.

I sat behind Hal Wassen and a nice contingent of SL players & fans

SMU had a lot of pee wee football league kids at their game to help attendance. Can we do this as well?

1. Venegas was flat out BAD tonight. When he wasn't letting guys run right past him, her was clipping or holding. He has no business starting and I can see why Dodge had him as a back-up to start the year.

2. Green played well tonight as did Weathers.

C. Meager STILL has happy feet. He was holding the ball far to long and hung his receivers out to dry and got them hit pretty hard. He is also STILL locking on to receivers and telegraphing his throws. He left 14 points on the field with his 2 picks in the endzone.

4. Our defensive line gets absolutely no push. We simply do not put any pressure on the quarterback. This is making our secondary look bad.

5. J-Mo was slashing and cutting and showed flashes of his old self. I was surprised that we split him out so much.

F. 2 blocked punts is unacceptable at any level of football.. Those 2 plays really hurt us.

7. Schnelly wearing a suit with a ballcap. What a maroon.

Edited by Eagle-96

I think there must be some truth to the rumor that the song "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba was actually written about Daniel Meager:

Artist: Chumbawumba

Song: Tubthumping

Lyrics:

We'll be singing

When we're winning

We'll be singing...

I get knocked down

But I get up again

You're never going to keep me down

I get knocked down

But I get up again

I get knocked down

But I get up again

I get knocked down

But I get up again

Pissing the night away

Pissing the night away

He drinks a whisky drink

He drinks a vodka drink

He drinks a lager drink

He drinks a cider drink

He sings the songs that remind him

Of the good times

Of the better times

Oh Danny Boy

Danny Boy

Danny Boy

I get knocked down

But I get up again

I get knocked down

But I get up again

I get knocked down

But I get up again

I get knocked down

But I get up again

Pissing the night away

Pissing the night away

He drinks a whisky drink

He drinks a vodka drink

He drinks a lager drink

He drinks a cider drink

Of the good times

Of the better times

Don't cry for me

Next door neighbour

I get knocked down

But I get up again

I get knocked down

But I get up again

I get knocked down

But I get up again

I get knocked down

But I get up again

I get knocked down

But I get up again (we'll be singing)

You're never going to keep me down (when we're winning)

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

You're never going to keep me down (when we're winning)

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

But I get up again (pissing the night away)

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

I get knocked down

Thank you for saving me a great deal of keyboard time.

Was it Daniel's fault that two punts got blocked?

Was it Daniel's fault that our DL is still not making it too uncomfortable for the opposing QB? It's a good thing that Daniel has good speed, because they were flushing him out of the pocket before the half-time. Rusty Smith never looked the least bit harried or even bothered.

They figured out our blocking schemes and just shot people in from the edge all during the second half. They also have some great (and very confident) DB's who look to be about half the size of ours, but were knocking the hell out of our WR's all night long.

If I have to be critical of Daniel (or the coaching staff since they sent in the signal for the play), it would be those fade routes into the end zone that he kept throwing whilst those (aformentioned) good and confident DB's were draped all over our receiver.....two or three at a time. IF WE INSIST ON THROWING FADE ROUTES/JUMP BALLS INTO THE END ZONE, THEN WE NEED TO SEND TALLER RECEIVERS INTO THE ROUTE.

I watch the body language of players (individually and as a group) during the crunch time of a game. Last night our body language said "damn, why aren't they giving up?" and FAU's body language was "man! we got their $hit figured out, now we're comin' after em' ". They were loose and relentless....especially in the second half.....which is the only half that really counts.

It's like watching someone testify in court. The confident witness sits up straight and leans slightly forward, and never waivers even under strong cross examination. The questionable witness sits back, stammers and gets flustered when put under pressure.

Also, if I didn't mention it before, I saw little or not adjustments in the second half.

I agree with you Greek to a point. The problems still reside on the defensive side of the ball and my feelings about the gameplanning & in-game coaching for the defense ar well documented here. However, I feel this team has shown it is good enough offensively to overcome poor defensive management when facing teams with similar talent levels. Meager's play hindered the offense, IMO. NT should've won this game.

Texas Stranger, a great post. I was wondering when someone would come to the defense of DM. It's hard to throw when you running for your life, and the penalties in the second half killed us. It's also hard to throw long, running toward the sideline with a d-linemen holding your jersey. It's also easy to get happy feet when your under constant pressure. The QB always get's too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. If you really have to blame someone, blame the kicking game, you simply cannot give up easy 14 points and expect to win.

We'll fix all the above issues.

You are right about the Defense. They did goive up 30 points. But Meager is our GENERAL. You say he did not lose the game for us? The kid did throw two crucial picks in the endzone and a bonehead pick in the 4th qtr. I would say he did play a major role in the loss. The fact is, with Dodge's offense, he can make a 5th grader look good a QB when you pass it everytime. Plus most of the routes are quick, short passes. The reason the spread works is for the short passes but those are set up by the ability to strike deep. FAU realized in the 2nd half that we cannot throw deep so that is why you saw the breakdown of our offense. Without the threat to go deep, the spread is not worth a lick! It was apparent last night! I would like to see what Vizza can do for a whole game though! Probably not against Arkansas because that would not be a good game to judge. We will probably get steemed rolled so I would wait to use him till teh following week.

Texas Stranger, a great post. I was wondering when someone would come to the defense of DM. It's hard to throw when you running for your life, and the penalties in the second half killed us.

OK...might be a good point. However, can you prove that? In other words, how do we know that someone else (such as Vizza) would not be able to throw better when running for his life? All everyone is saying is give the other guy a chance. Once we exhaust our option THEN we can whine about our offensive line and how they cannot block.

Sorry it cannot be a perfect situation for DM. Sorry bud...it cannot always be the pass-and-catch like in practice...

As a fan in the stands, it was so disheartening to see the endzone picks, especially the second one. It's not like they were picked off due to great defensive play. They were basically Hail Mary jump balls. I can only imagine how disheartening it was for the players. I thought the D played pretty well. How many times did they force a punt only to go right back on the field because of offensive mistakes in the 2nd half?

I thought this game looked similar to OU. DM was indecisive, held the ball way too long, and made poor decisions while scrambling. Timing is everything in this offense and too often the designed play was never executed because he held the ball too long. Then the play would turn into some type of improvised disaster.