Our Defensive Struggles

chrisfisher

During the OU/Tulsa game, they had a guest announcer who was a former coach. I can't recall his name. He wasn't speaking about the Meen Green, but his point certainly applies. He made an interesting comment about the spread offense when asked if he'd ever use it. The guy said that the biggest problem with the spread offense is that it is extremely difficult to get your defense quality reps during practices because most sets are throwing plays. And went on to say that this leaves your defense vulnerable to the run and poor tackling. Basically, he said your defense gets good against the spread offense, which fewer teams use, and that's it. Could this be the answer to our first 2 game defensive woes? Our veterans simply were not getting good practice, especially with tackles. It is reasonable theory and I'll interested to see how our defense performs given that they spent a week on tackling during the break.

Edited by chrisfisher

During the OU/Tulsa game, they had a guest announcer who was a former coach. I can't recall his name. He wasn't speaking about the Meen Green, but his point certainly applies. He made an interesting comment about the spread offense when asked if he'd ever use it. The guy said that the biggest problem with the spread offense is that it is extremely difficult to get your defense quality reps during practices because most sets are throwing plays. And went on to say that this leaves your defense vulnerable to the run and poor tackling. Basically, he said your defense gets good against the spread offense, which fewer teams use, and that's it. Could this be the answer to our first 2 game defensive woes? Our veterans simply were not getting good practice, especially with tackles. It is reasonable theory and I'll interested to see how our defense performs given that they spent a week on tackling during the break.

I would agree to this to a point. Texas Tech has had the same system for awhile and they didn't seem to have a problem tackling SMU.

We have basically the same unit as last year and Lord knows that had enough pratice against the run.

Our Defense can only get better from here on out. If the SBC teams average 30+ against us, then I can see Dodge making his 1st hard move as the HC.

Could this be the answer to our first 2 game defensive woes? Our veterans simply were not getting good practice, especially with tackles. It is reasonable theory and I'll interested to see how our defense performs given that they spent a week on tackling during the break.

Good point, but I'd say no for us because until last week we had not actually practiced concentrating on tackling. If you watched any of our practices or scrimmages you would have noticed the backs and recievers being allowed to run on by after a touch. That's what killed us against OU. In fact, I thought our run defense did quite well against the run against OU. And SMU ran their version of the spread against us and had their way all night. It's the scout O's job to mimick your opponents each week to give the d the looks they need.

Rick

I'd say our run defense did well against OU on obvious, short yardage plays. However, on the night they lit us up for like 240+ on the ground, so it's hard to say we did well against them except in a few circumstances.

I watched some of the OU-Tulsa game, but didn't catch the past about spread offenses and how it affects defenses during proactice. Maybe that's why Texas Tech always has a crappy defense whether they're starting 11 seniors or 11 freshmen.

To me, it's not so much the practice, but the real game time. Spread offenses simply put their defenses out on the field to much. Going three and out with three incompletions puts the defense back out there really fast. Scoring in less than two minutes puts them back out there quickly, too.

I posted back in the off season that an important thing to watch was whether we hired a new strength and conditioning coach. Win or lose, our defense is going to have be conditioned better because they're going to be out on the field more either way. For the record, we didn't hire a new strength and conditioning coach. So far, we've lost two games in the fourth quarter. As the season rolls on, our second half performances will be something to keep an eye on. If we're wearing out, we may need to go ahead and upgrade at strength and conditioning coach.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch