Oklahoma's At Tulsa

GreenN'walinsVet

Tulsa U--yet another former conference mate of UNT that has moved up the D1-A food chain while we were way too busy trying to create the perfect brandings and the best shade of green. :whistling1:

Tulsa's stadium looks much nicer than it used to. I believe the Fort Worth Star Telegram even had a different name for it as it used to be called Skelley Stadium; BTW, the TU stadium seats about 40,000. :rolleyes: Wonder if OU would have booked games with Tulsa U if it had seated, uh, 30-32,000?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Tulsa U--yet another former conference mate of UNT that has moved up the D1-A food chain while we were way too busy trying to create the perfect brandings and the best shade of green. :whistling1:

I suppose it would be too much to ask that we wait until the end of the game to come to the conclusion that Tulsa has "passed us by". I mean after 3 good years in the last 5 I can see how you could proclaim that, since we've only been good for 3 of the last 5 years...

Better yet, we should wait until the end of the season to make this assumption.

Tulsa's records the past 5 seasons:

2002- 4-8

2003- 8-5

2004- 4-8

2005- 9-4

2006- 8-5

You're right ours is much worse...

2002- 8-5

2003- 9-4

2004- 7-5

2005- 2-9

2006- 2-9

I don't really see how they have "passed us by".

I am in no way envious of Tulsa. They are a tiny school (albeit nice) in a small town in the middle of the damn near most meaningless state in the union, and call themselves hurricanes when the nearest ocean is 700 miles away. They aren't in a BCS conference. They don't have the enrollment we do.

They do well with what they have to work with, but in no way have "passed us by."...yet

Lets wait and see if they crack the Top 25 in the next 10 years and compare to what we have done, and then make a judgement.

BTW, I know you didn't use the term "passed us by", but I see it used a lot, and I figure it is what you are generally implying.

Edited by MeanMag

Tulsa's stadium looks much nicer than it used to. I believe the Fort Worth Star Telegram even had a different name for it as it used to be called Skelley Stadium; BTW, the TU stadium seats about 40,000. :rolleyes: Wonder if OU would have booked games with Tulsa U if it had seated, uh, 30-32,000?

Sorry Plum, they just said Tulsa is spending 24 million dollars to DOWNSIZE from 40,000 to 30,000...

I went to law school at Tulsa from 2000-2003, so I saw some of their games at Skelly during the 2000, 2001, and 2002 seasons. They didn't really build a new stadium. They simply renovated the old one. The only major thing they did was put box and a building in the old end zone that was on the campus side. It's still just a big, old high school stadium. It just looks nicer now.

For the record, TU only has about 3,000 undergrads. It's private school that has a huge endowment because of early- to mid-20th Century oil money. The old TU alums care far more about basketball than football. That's why Skelly was the last thing to be upgraded for them.