Time To Jump On The "dan-wagon"

UNTLifer

September 20, 2007

Jumping on the "Dan Wagon"

I stopped by the North Texas athletic department yesterday and found out that someone came up with a new saying for Mean Green fans:

"It's time to jump on the Dan-Wagon."

As they say in those beer commercials -- "BRILLANT!"

I haven't heard a phrase that catchy since Jamario Thomas was dubbed "Super Jamario" a few years ago. Unfortunately, no one has yet come forward to take credit for inventing the "Dan-Wagon" phrase.

On a serious note, it will be interesting to see if Daniel Meager -- UNT''s much maligned quarterback and origin of the "Dan-Wagon" phrase -- can keep it up after his big game against SMU two weeks ago on Saturday against Florida Atlantic. Meager was great for most of the night against SMU. He didn't make many mistakes against Oklahoma in UNT's opener, but he didn't make many plays either.

UNT is hoping the Meager it saw against SMU is the Meager it will have for the rest of the season.

It certainly wouldn't hurt the Mean Green's cause to have the "Dan-Wagon" roll at a rapid pace against FAU. The Owls are coming off a win over Minnesota and Rusty Smith is looking more and more like the real deal as the Owls quarterback. Smith threw for 463 yards and five touchdowns against the Gophers.

It could be a shootout when UNT and FAU face off at Fouts. Let the good times -- and the "Dan-Wagon" -- roll.

Posted by Brett Vito at 9:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

I will jump on the Dan-Wagon without the 4th quarter Int's.

I think Meager showed huge progress in skill, training and talent in racking up the yards passing against SMUTs. As I see it, the interceptions were really a factor of working closer to the edge trying to force something to happen in the late stage of the game. Sometimes you win those, sometimes you don't. Something like an empty net in hockey. Furthermore, talent is harder to find, Meager has that. He showed us that. What we need to work on now is the discipline and maturity required to decrease the errors=interceptions. THAT is something easier to work on. It may only take a couple games. I'm a DAN MAN! (but I am fickle !! :D

He's definitely improved. However, until he can cut down on mistakes in the clutch...I will consider these "empty numbers." It's kinda like Texas Tech lighting up every offensive statistical category but not winning anything significant.

Hey, I'll take Tech's record in a heartbeat... if that's where the Dan-Wagon gets us, I'll buy the conductor a beer....

He's definitely improved. However, until he can cut down on mistakes in the clutch...I will consider these "empty numbers." It's kinda like Texas Tech lighting up every offensive statistical category but not winning anything significant.

To borrow a phrase from the world of golf……..

You Drive for Show… You Putt for $$$$$

The numbers are nice but W’s are what we need.

Too many people are rushing to malign D.M. early into the season instead of supporting him like T.D. and the rest of the football team and coaching staff.

Too many of you forgot what DM did in HS much less what type of system he played the last two years.

UNT has a new coach, system and schemes. Unless some of you just crawled out from beneath a rock today you can not logically compare DM's performance at OU to anything logical. OU did to USU and Miami what they did to UNT and Miami kicked the Aggies hind quarters pretty bad last night. The SMU game could have gone either way but DM threw for over 600 yards. Now he is 3rd in the nation in passing yardage and ya'll are saying he is a bad QB?? By some of your comments I can only conclude that some of you did not go to OU or watch the game on TV much less drive 30 miles to SMU to watch UNT.

Some of you are going to have to remember that you either attend or have graduated UNT and should have some form of college level logic instead of junior high emotion.

Many of us "trust" T.D.'s ability to train, shepard and recognize talent in QB's ..... why??? because he was a QB, has two other former "talented" QB's on his staff (just read their bio's), has held QB schools in Texas (just read about them) and look at his w-l record. That is why TD is coach and some of you eat cheese with your whine and illogical blogs.

Edited by eulesseagle

Too many people are rushing to malign D.M. early into the season instead of supporting him like T.D. and the rest of the football team and coaching staff.

Too many of you forgot what DM did in HS much less what type of system he played the last two years.

UNT has a new coach, system and schemes. Unless some of you just crawled out from beneath a rock today you can not logically compare DM's performance at OU to anything logical. OU did to USU and Miami what they did to UNT and Miami kicked the Aggies hind quarters pretty bad last night. The SMU game could have gone either way but DM threw for over 600 yards. Now he is 3rd in the nation in passing yardage and ya'll are saying he is a bad QB?? By some of your comments I can only conclude that some of you did not go to OU or watch the game on TV much less drive 30 miles to SMU to watch UNT.

Some of you are going to have to remember that you either attend or have graduated UNT and should have some form of college level logic instead of junior high emotion.

Many of us "trust" T.D.'s ability to train, shepard and recognize talent in QB's ..... why??? because he was a QB, has two other former "talented" QB's on his staff (just read their bio's), has held QB schools in Texas (just read about them) and look at his w-l record. That is why TD is coach and some of you eat cheese with your whine and illogical blogs.

Sorry, but this is DM's 3rd season (yes, I understand it is a new offense) and Dodge's 1st, so I am going to give Dodge way more time (at least 2 years) than I will DM.