Huge Article On Smu's Death Penalty With Lead In And Article

OldTimer

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sport...ory/242594.html

This reminder may hurt SMU football recruiting? It had details I didn't remember...when caught PAYING RECRUITS ...they decided to continue payments on players already recruited....in defiance and which triggerred the death penalty....NT was one of their first two wins when they resumed play two years later.

I am really tired of the death penalty excuse continuing on 20 years later. The current SMU program is no better or worse than it has been since the 60's, except for the 5 year "Glory Days" period where they bought their entire team and cheated their way into the spotlight. For SMU to even honor their 1982 team at our game is sickening.

I give SMU credit for resisting the temptation to buy their way back into the top 25, so far. But to continue to pull out the excuse that the NCAA ruined SMU argument 20 year later covers up the fact that they have been a struggling program (like us) for a long time. It's time for them to deal with fan apathy and mediocre results head-on. I think that's what we're trying to do here.

Does the fact that I would take great joy in seeing it happen again to another school make me a twisted person?

No.... not if that team is SMU...

"Nice" article on SMU and then Gov. Bill Clements

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/lies.html

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I am really tired of the death penalty excuse continuing on 20 years later. The current SMU program is no better or worse than it has been since the 60's, except for the 5 year "Glory Days" period where they bought their entire team and cheated their way into the spotlight. For SMU to even honor their 1982 team at our game is sickening.

I give SMU credit for resisting the temptation to buy their way back into the top 25, so far. But to continue to pull out the excuse that the NCAA ruined SMU argument 20 year later covers up the fact that they have been a struggling program (like us) for a long time. It's time for them to deal with fan apathy and mediocre results head-on. I think that's what we're trying to do here.

Since SMU has returned to playing football, two six or better win seasons. Rice has had only four more. Temple has had only one period.

In hindsight SMU probably would have been better served if they had asked the SWC for permission to return to football in 1988 as a I-AA with the plan of returning to I-A in 1991 or 1992.

No. There have been teams since them that probably did as much as they did, that got far less. I don't think we will ever see the "Death" penalty again in College sports.

ULL had gotten the death penalty in basketball about 10-15 years earlier (I think technically just took away all their basketball scholies) and they bounced back.

ULL had gotten the death penalty in basketball about 10-15 years earlier (I think technically just took away all their basketball scholies) and they bounced back.

I would say it is a little easier to rebuild a basketball program than a football program, and again, with SMU they totally Shut the program down, with ULL they just took away all of the scholies.

Know what's awesome about being not out in Nashville on a Fri night b/c of stupid law school crap? You get to post on message boards instead of going out to bars..

SMU was a good program other than just the 80's. They had some good times back in the ole days. Had some spotted years in the 70's. And then the hammer came down in 1987. SMU sucked b/c of how the school reacted to the DP. Got rid of majors (physical education, education, etc) that athletes want to major in. Not b/c these majors are "easy," but b/c what do most athletes want to do if they can't go pro? Coach... yeah, let's get rid of those programs, smart SMU. Then SMU decided to make its admissions for athletes harder than the standards for athletes (not regular students) at ND or USC. Another brilliant move. Then they wouldn't accept JUCO transfers. Yet another brilliant move. What happened is that it took 20 years for the school to realize that the DP hurt them, but they shot themselves in the foot even worse by tying their hands behind their back to try and make themselves feel better for what they did wrong.

Bennett, if nothing else, helped implement changes in the administration. More athlete-friendly majors, looser recruiting standards (that still need to be lowered), and more accepting JUCOs. He recruited semi-decently, so the next coach shouldn't have as much of a hole as he was. But it's time for a change, at both my schools... Rick Neuheisel to Ole Miss; Mike Shula to SMU. I need to be an AD and just make this stuff happen.