Watching Slc Vs. Rockwall

MeanMag

Dodge was just on the sideline, they talked to him for a little while about what he said to Riley after last weeks loss to Miami. A lot of North Texas talk. Good pub.

What I am noticing with the SLC defense is that they are playing a lot of man defense and giving receivers about a 7 yd cushion. Looks a lot like our defense, and Rockwall is just running over them, scoring at will. What is the deal? I understand mixing up coverages, but really IMO playing a zone based scheme with mixed in man (usually on blitzes) sounds like a better option.

Dodge was just on the sideline, they talked to him for a little while about what he said to Riley after last weeks loss to Miami. A lot of North Texas talk. Good pub.

What I am noticing with the SLC defense is that they are playing a lot of man defense and giving receivers about a 7 yd cushion. Looks a lot like our defense, and Rockwall is just running over them, scoring at will. What is the deal? I understand mixing up coverages, but really IMO playing a zone based scheme with mixed in man (usually on blitzes) sounds like a better option.

Just tuned in...

Did I hear the announcer correctly when he said Riley Dodge has already thrown 4 TD passes? :blink:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Beautiful TD pass by Riley! Fifty-yard strike, hit his receiver in stride.

I did not see the first half, but they just showed Riley's stats on TV and it showed only one interception. To go with five touchdowns.

You are correct Smitty. The first turnover was a fumble.

I don't think SLC will win state this year - I think people will see this year just how much they miss Dodge.

No, couldn't be. According to the rest of the world, SLC has the best of football talent and anybody can win there? Everyone

that can afford to live there where the average home is $275K in value, is automatically given by God himself, an all world

student athlete once they sign their mortgage papers.

Rick

No, couldn't be. According to the rest of the world, SLC has the best of football talent and anybody can win there? Everyone

that can afford to live there where the average home is $275K in value, is automatically given by God himself, an all world

Rick

I was at the game (co-worker's son was one of the starting MLBs for Rockwall--3-4 scheme) and I'd have to say they are doing pretty well in the athlete department. Maybe not quite as good as an Allen/Plano, but still had the best athletes on the field tonight. Both lines have monsters on the ends (DEs and OTs) and their skill players have unbelievable agility. That said, SLC stands out as being obviously very well coached. Amongst a littany of "little things" that they do right, the whole team gets their pads squared up better than any HS team I've ever seen....on both sides of the ball...so they are almost always running downhill. This was the first time I've seen them in person and was very impressed.

Rick

I haven't heard a lot of people claim SLC has superior talent to everyone else... did I miss that somewhere?? Most of the claims and opinions I've come across are more along the lines of being such an affluent community with a tradition of success and substantial interest in their football, SLC enjoys other advantages -- like a one high school system, where kids grow up playing in the same system learning the playbook from early junior high on. Where kids have better equipment, facilities, coaching, camps, clinics, support, tradition, financial backing, etc. than almost everyone they play at every level.

They're a little machine. I've seen them physically outmanned a few times over the years, back to the 3A days in a hell of a game against Vernon. They've almost always won, with little exception... and yes, it's a lot easier to win at SLC than almost any other school in Texas... and yes, they have advantages over almost every other school in Texas. And no, that doesn't take away ONE BIT from anything TD or anyone else has accomplished there. It's nothing to be ashamed of or make excuses for. They've made it that way by being so damn good and caring so damn much for a long, long time.

I was at the game (co-worker's son was one of the starting MLBs for Rockwall--3-4 scheme) and I'd have to say they are doing pretty well in the athlete department. Maybe not quite as good as an Allen/Plano, but still had the best athletes on the field tonight. Both lines have monsters on the ends (DEs and OTs) and their skill players have unbelievable agility. That said, SLC stands out as being obviously very well coached. Amongst a littany of "little things" that they do right, the whole team gets their pads squared up better than any HS team I've ever seen....on both sides of the ball...so they are almost always running downhill. This was the first time I've seen them in person and was very impressed.

They of course will have good athletes. But the misconceptions that run rampant by many, and mostly by those who criticised our hiring of TD, and especially those who lose games to SLC, is that the SLC athletes are bigger, faster, stronger because they have the most money within their circle and money buys everything including any other great athlete they need to transfer into their school district? And that because of their wealth any coach can walk nto SLC and win. That assumption is completely rediculous to me. And guess what, they lost their coach and their winning streak came to an abrupt end and it looked like tonight they could have lost again for a second time in a row for the first time since '00. I have watched SLC games for nearly 20 years now and I have yet see them take the field with the biggest or the fastest team overall. However, they have been fortunate to have had two of the best coaches who made sure they were the best prepaired team on the field.

I was on the sidelines for the state title game at Texas stadium in '05 and Houston Katy "looked" like they were going to walk away with it. Much bigger, much faster looking etc....But Katy was no match against the better coached team. I spoke to the Renfro kid afterwards and couldn't believe how tiny he was and thought that he might never see a down of football at TCU. And so far as I can tell, he hasn't. Yet, because of his coaching and training at SLC he made a career out taking some of the better looking athletes and their teams to the endzone.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I haven't heard a lot of people claim SLC has superior talent to everyone else... did I miss that somewhere

That excuse was one of many that ran rampant on many of the message boards for HS and colleges. My thought was, other than facilities, SLC doesn't have anything that other communities can't have if they and their coaches would make the commitments. If money was the main factor that led to the success then Coppell and Highland Park and a few others would win it every year. And the team you and I witnessed play against Vernon for that semi game back in '93 played in one of the crappiest little stadiums around at the time and had even lessor workout facilities, and there were no camps to train and bring the boys up to prepared for their HS days. But there was never a better prepaired team on the field on both sides of the ball than one coached by Bob Ledbetter. That was a hell of a game and considered by many to be one of the all time best games ever.

Rick

Make that a 6:1 ratio. Too bad the kid's not a collegiate-level quarterback.

True, he's not. Beating Rockwall and other suburban schools like it hardly qualify as collegiate level. Again, Mack Brown was recruiting him as an athlete for a reason. He won't be big enough or strong enough to play FCS/D-I ball at QB. He would have stood on Texas' sideline for most of his career before finally getting on the kickoff team or going in to play safety during blowouts like Mack has done with other similar "athletes" in the past. We can only hope his TD can admit that to himself over the next few years. Otherwise...we'll have problems as he sits legitimate college QBs in favor of his little boy.

True, he's not. Beating Rockwall and other suburban schools like it hardly qualify as collegiate level. Again, Mack Brown was recruiting him as an athlete for a reason. He won't be big enough or strong enough to play FCS/D-I ball at QB. He would have stood on Texas' sideline for most of his career before finally getting on the kickoff team or going in to play safety during blowouts like Mack has done with other similar "athletes" in the past. We can only hope his TD can admit that to himself over the next few years. Otherwise...we'll have problems as he sits legitimate college QBs in favor of his little boy.

For the love of God, can someone please, pretty please find the Real Lonnie Finch and replace this clown?

True, he's not. Beating Rockwall and other suburban schools like it hardly qualify as collegiate level. Again, Mack Brown was recruiting him as an athlete for a reason. He won't be big enough or strong enough to play FCS/D-I ball at QB.

flame away, but I think there's something to this part of the statement. I've seen him at various events. He's not a big guy... at all. Not a chance he's 6'. He'd be lucky to be 5'11. Like it or not, he's going to have issues getting the ball over 6'5" guys with their hands in the air.

And here come the "what about Doug Flutie" comments...

Edited by Eagle1855