Dodge, Schnelly To Match Wits

flyeater

UNT FOOTBALL NOTES

Dodge finds old sages plentiful

By TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTON -- If North Texas' Todd Dodge wants to improve as a new college head coach, he'll have several experienced subjects with which to match wits this season.

His first lesson against Oklahoma's Bob Stoops three weeks ago was harsh. On Saturday, Florida Atlantic's Howard Schnellenberger -- who has had mixed success at Louisville, Oklahoma and Miami (Fla.) -- will be across the sideline from Dodge in UNT's conference opener.

Schnellenberger's long career -- which spans more than 40 years -- has seen better days, but his 2-1 team is coming off an upset of Minnesota. The old coach, who is 3-0 at FAU against UNT, should have a few tricks.

Other experienced coaches that UNT will face are Arkansas' Houston Nutt, Troy's Larry Blakeney, Louisiana-Monroe's Charlie Weatherbie and Navy's Paul Johnson.

"I'm always trying to get better," said Dodge, who said he'll try to find any edge he can against his coaching counterparts. "I told our players that I'm not near as good today as I'll be on Saturday. Any of those guys coming up are fabulous coaches, and I'm learning all the time."

Dodge said that as a coach he can't expect his team to improve if he doesn't show improvement or gain more knowledge as a head coach.

At the same time, "if someone has so much more experience than I do, it doesn't mean we can't go out and win a game," Dodge said.

Bad news, good news

Seeing safety Kartey Agbottah lead UNT in tackles (eight) against SMU wasn't exactly ideal, but the sophomore from Irving MacArthur High School did show the "upside" that UNT coaches have raved about.

Agbottah stepped in this season after starter Roy Loren was dismissed from the team. He forced a fumble against SMU and, to Dodge's twisted delight, even committed a personal foul.

"He's a kid that [playing well] means a whole lot to," Dodge said. "Sometimes kids like that are a little tentative. They want to do the right thing all the time."

Dodge said coaches want the 6-foot-2, athletic Agbottah to "turn loose and play with more emotion."

Dodge said UNT doesn't condone such penalties, but it was nice to see the more assertive side of Agbottah.

Briefly

--Running back Jamario Thomas and offensive tackle Robert Peachey have both practiced during the off week after extended layoffs with hamstring problems.

--Todd Dodge said missed tackles are the biggest adjustment UNT's defense has addressed in the off week. Coaches calculated that 12 missed tackles against SMU resulted in the Mustangs gaining 189 of their 353 total yards.

--Despite facing nearby SMU last year, UNT officials believe Saturday's home-opening crowd against FAU could approach or surpass last year's 25,231 against the Mustangs, though no estimate was given.

North Texas vs. Florida Atlantic

6 p.m. Saturday, Fouts Field

Radio: KWRD/100.7 FM, KNTU/99.1 FM

Records: UNT 0-2,

Florida Atlantic 2-1

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760

tphillips@star-telegram.com