Drc Blog Schnellenberger Compliments Dodge

OldTimer

Mean Green BlogSeptember 18, 2007

Schnellenberger compliments Dodge

There will probably be a few North Texas fans out there who will be surprised to hear this, but Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger had a few nice things to say about Todd Dodge today on the Sun Belt Conference's weekly press call.

To be specific old Schnelly said that Dodge is a good coach and is as smart as at least half the coaches in the conference.

I am not sure if that will be good enough for UNT fans who have already crowned Dodge the second coming of Hayden Fry, but it does show that FAU's head coach does have a favorable opinion of Dodge.

Personally I think the whole hatred for Schnelly over what he has had to say about Dodge and his philosophy at Sun Belt media days is a little overblown. So Howard didn't endorse Dodge's early recruiting approach. And yea, he didn't know of Dodge until he met him at media day and had to be reminded of who he was later on in the week. I didn't really see that as being all that surprising. Dodge is a legend in high school football, but he is a Texas guy. Schnellenberger never ventures out of South Florida to recruit or do much else other than play road games.

I guess whatever adds to a rivalry in the Sun Belt is good for UNT, even if it is based on Schnellenberger's knowledge -- or lack thereof -- of Texas high school football.

Schnellenberger sure seems to have done a lot worse to UNT than forget who Dodge is, though. Remember, this is a coach who has never lost to the Mean Green in three tries. Dodge will get his first shot at FAU on Saturday.

Believe me, if Dodge leads the Mean Green to a win, Schnellenberger will remember who he is for a long time.

Schnellenberger is either Senile or deliberately dissing TD, there is no way a top coach does not keep track of who is head coaching the other 7 teams in his conference. Make no mistake about it, he was and still is being backhanded in his comments.

I hope we slap FAU back to the Florida Swamps!

Maybe then Schnellenberger will wake up.

Edited by KingDL1

To be specific old Schnelly said that Dodge is a good coach and is as smart as at least half the coaches in the conference.

Give him a compliment but don't throw this "he as 1/2 the coaches in the conference" crap in there! Just say he's a good coach and leave it at that! Nice backhanded compliment.

Give him a compliment but don't throw this "he as 1/2 the coaches in the conference" crap in there! Just say he's a good coach and leave it at that! Nice backhanded compliment.

So now not only do other teams have to kneel down and pay tribute, but they need to do it a certain way?

Is there an "Old Testament"/Torah rulebook on paying tribute to Dodge? It's been 45 seconds since the last Chuck Norris-type thread...

So now not only do other teams have to kneel down and pay tribute, but they need to do it a certain way?

Is there an "Old Testament"/Torah rulebook on paying tribute to Dodge? It's been 45 seconds since the last Chuck Norris-type thread...

Absolutely not. You don't have to compliment TD at all. I don't care if Schnelly hates TD and thinks he's the worst coach in football. However, if you're going to compliment him then just say he's a good coach, but don't say he as good as 1/2 the other coaches in the conference. That's not a compliment, it means you're average.

BTW, "Tina Yothers is hot?" Really?

Schnellenberger is either Senile or deliberately dissing TD, there is no way a top coach does not keep track of who is head coaching the other 7 teams in his conference. Make no mistake about it, he was and still is being backhanded in his comments.

I hope we slap FAU back to the Florida Swamps!

Maybe then Schnellenberger will wake up.

Call me crazy, too, because if I were a coach I'd only be focused on my team. I'd probably only learn the coaches on a week-by-week basis when I play them on the field.

...as if you're implying the second a coach is hired, he picks up the media guide and thinks, "I have to know my coaches! Gotta study!"

Senile? Don't count on it. Anybody who thinks Schnelly is going to come out onto the field and forget what he came out there for is just a fool. Your age prejudice is showing, and prejudice is always a competitive disadvantage.

Schnelly is one of the most successful coaches in history. If you think his Tide years and Miami national championship were too far in the past to matter, in recent years he built the FAU program from nada. FAU is one of those 1960s universities with zero tradition. Like UT-D, it used to be just for juniors, seniors, and grad students, heavily weighted toward computer science and engineering, and only fairly recently became a four-year school. Yet they've whipped us three times.

If you think about his so-called compliment -- that TD is at least as smart as half the coaches in the conference -- it's actually kind of funny. In other words, he's praising TD by saying he's not in the lower 50 percent in intelligence among coaches in one of the least respected leagues in the country. But we feel so starved for love that we take it as a compliment. It's like the girl who goes all ga-ga when somebody says, Hey, for a fat girl, you don't sweat all that much.

Absolutely not. You don't have to compliment TD at all. I don't care if Schnelly hates TD and thinks he's the worst coach in football. However, if you're going to compliment him then just say he's a good coach, but don't say he as good as 1/2 the other coaches in the conference. That's not a compliment, it means you're average.

BTW, "Tina Yothers is hot?" Really?

I think coming from an OLD guy like Schnelly it is a compliment. In his eyes TD can come straight from the High School ranks to be as good as half the other coaches in the conference ,is a compliment. Remember this isn't the same old sunbelt , we actually have some good teams and coaches now.

Schnelly has a national championship under his belt , Blakeney has led his teams to 2 bowls, Roberts has turned ASU around and was the coach of the IAA NW St. that knocked off TCU a few years back. The belt has really good coaches.

We all think the world of TD and I wouldnt have any other coach in the world right now, but on the flip side he is just 0-2 and his HS record counts for nothing in other people's eyes. It will take a few years for TD to be considered not only the best coach in the belt , but in all of college football... and when that happens , our search will start for another coach.

As for Tina Yothers....

tina.jpg

Count me In!!! :D

I hope showing this pic doesn't get some of you guys whitey tighties in a bunch and get this thread deleted!!

Edited by NT03

Call me crazy, too, because if I were a coach I'd only be focused on my team. I'd probably only learn the coaches on a week-by-week basis when I play them on the field.

...as if you're implying the second a coach is hired, he picks up the media guide and thinks, "I have to know my coaches! Gotta study!"

Just like everything else we complain about, give him a reason to know Dodge's name and he'll learn it.

Why should he be impressed by Dodge yet? He has as many wins as his stool... and is not made of baby food and bourbon.

What GMoney is reacting to is the "additional comment" about Dodge being as smart as about half of the other coaches in the league. It was unnecessary, and a bit dismissive IMHO.

As to your sarcastic comment about "Old Testament" rules about paying tribute.....yes, there are some unofficial rules. Nothing is written, but the legendary Darrell Royal (I guess his era of coaching would qualify as "old testament") would heap praise on his opponent (and their team) prior to their game. If you listened to Darrell talk about his next opponent, you would think that Darrell had just nominated him as coach of the year. It's always been good manners to do it that way.

The kind of comment that Captain Kangaroo made is something that players (and fans) would notice and get motivated about. "The Captain", is either senile or just arrogant......or both.

It's kind of like someone taking a public shot at your Dad or Mamma. What they're saying might be true, but as a member of the family, you don't tolerate it.

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised that you don't seem to understand this very basic concept.

Edited by SilverEagle

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised that you don't seem to understand this very basic concept.

I understand it just fine, believe it or not, but until we beat him, he owns us. Complaining just makes us look like the Aggie fans who whine about Mike Leach. I think Schnelly is an old douchebag who we need to knock down a beg, but we haven't done it yet.

Here's to this year.

I understand it just fine, believe it or not, but until we beat him, he owns us. Complaining just makes us look like the Aggie fans who whine about Mike Leach. I think Schnelly is an old douchebag who we need to knock down a beg, but we haven't done it yet.

Here's to this year.

I don't know if the aggies whine about Mike Leach or not. But I do know that traditionally they have always taken exception to anyone (other than them) taking a public shot at their school, their traditions, and/or their coaches........and that includes all the time periods when they really sucked.

I hate them as much as you do (I think I do anyway), but I have to give them props for maintaining their traditions, taking up for "their own", and regularly showing up to their games.....even when they suck.

They may be a cult, but most of the time we've been a dysfunctional family.......when we have been a family.

I'm not going to whine about comments made about our coach, but I'm not going to let them go by either. It's what family does.

I don't know if the aggies whine about Mike Leach or not. But I do know that traditionally they have always taken exception to anyone (other than them) taking a public shot at their school, their traditions, and/or their coaches........and that includes all the time periods when they really sucked.

I hate them as much as you do (I think I do anyway), but I have to give them props for maintaining their traditions, taking up for "their own", and regularly showing up to their games.....even when they suck.

They may be a cult, but most of the time we've been a dysfunctional family.......when we have been a family.

I'm not going to whine about comments made about our coach, but I'm not going to let them go by either. It's what family does.

I don't hate them at all actually. But I dislike when people want to outpour smack all the time and then can't hande when any is thrown back at them.

You obviously don't do that, but that is a trigger for me and I think fan bases as a whole have gotten too sensitive. I want to beat Howie, but until we do, he can say what he wants. If it helps motivate the team, all the better.

I wouldn't expect a compliment at all. Gracious remarks then move on. I want to talk about my team and me not any other coach. If I were a Sun Belt Coach I would say something about the passing yards at SMU, seems to have the Univ. and fan base fired up, let's see what he can do and leave it at that. The goal is to get media attention for your team, no one elses. Read the coments, chuckle and move on.

Question might be if ol' Schnelly was saying what he was saying completely sober. He has been known to like his Jack Daniels. In fact, seemed like OU officials called him on the carpet for having had too much when he had his long 1 year career as the Sooner coach.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Jeez, how things can be taken out of context. Schnelly was asked what he thought about Dodge and he said that he was a very smart guy, probably smarter than half the coaches in the conference. I didn't take it to be a put down at all, in fact - I saw it as a little bit of damage control from his previous statements... and his previous statements were simply that he wasn't impressed with any coach's recruiting (in football - general) but what they did with those recruits once they got them to campus. Geez, there are some really sensitive Mean Green fans these days.