Unt Enrollment: 34,268

NT80

I agree completely and that is why I consider the next two years to be a tryout. If we come thought and really support the team than the school will have no choice but to build a bigger stadium but we continue to average 20000 or less than what right do we have to demand a 40000 seat stadium.

If we continute to average 20K & less in the future (especially with our enourmous constituency from which we can draw new MG fans) then we might have to finally fess' up to the fact that we (w/o a doubt) have had the wrong marketing program in place, you think?

At some point, we're all going to have to start acting like significantly more growth for Denton and our main campus will translate into new fans--why not, it seems to everyplace else. I'm not quite sure why it (new fans) hasn't in Denton and UNT officials may need to even focus on the reason(s) for that also, IMHO.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If we continute to average 20K & less in the future (especially with our enourmous constituency from which we can draw new MG fans) then we might have to finally fess' up to the fact that we (w/o a doubt) have had the wrong marketing program in place, you think?

At some point, we're all going to have to start acting like significantly more growth for Denton and our main campus will translate into new fans--why not, it seems to everyplace else. I'm not quite sure why it (new fans) hasn't in Denton and UNT officials may need to even focus on the reason(s) for that also, IMHO.

I agree Plumm.....everything was really well said. I love you (The way Norm says it).

Well, as I've mentioned several times before, when we planned and built Fouts back in the late 40's early 50's our student population was about 6K. So, back then, we were building a stadium (20.5K capacity) to accomodate three times the student population.

I'm certainly not advocating a 102K stadium, but considering our student population, 40K would seem to be a reasonable size.

I think we have a low turnout at the games becuase UNT is a commuter school. So most of the students don't live in Denton, and with a sub par team as it has been in the past, people aren't going to want to drive back in to Denton on the weekends. I am an alumn that never had weekends off until this year. So I was never able to go to the games. I plan on makng as many home games as possible. But I have been a fan and an avid beleiver of always supporting a team no matter how bad they suck. So I am not your typicall Texas fan. The, "what have you done for me latley" kind.

Edited by filmerj

I think we have a low turnout at the games becuase UNT is a commuter school. So most of the students don't live in Denton, and with a sub par team as it has been in the past, people aren't going to want to drive back in to Denton on the weekends. I am an alumn that never had weekends off until this year. So I was never able to go to the games. I plan on makng as many home games as possible. But I have been a fan and an avid beleiver of always supporting a team no matter how bad they suck. So I am not your typicall Texas fan. The, "what have you done for me latley" kind.

UNT has as many students living on (or near our main campus) than over twice the combined enrollments of SMU and TCU. Now if anyone wants to call us a commuter school so be it, but they really might want to start checking out Webster's for a more appropriate description of our school. Oh, we are also not a "teacher's college" anymore, either. :rolleyes:

When i was in school, Grad 06', I was considered a commuter even though i liived on Hickory st and walked to school every day for three years. The definition of commuter school needs to be looked at again. If you ask me most of the students seem to live in and around the denton area, within five to ten minutes of the school, that does not a comuter school make. Now, i did work downtown, and i had to commute there but that would make me a commuting worker not a commuting student, no matter what the official record says

When i was in school, Grad 06', I was considered a commuter even though i liived on Hickory st and walked to school every day for three years. The definition of commuter school needs to be looked at again. If you ask me most of the students seem to live in and around the denton area, within five to ten minutes of the school, that does not a comuter school make. Now, i did work downtown, and i had to commute there but that would make me a commuting worker not a commuting student, no matter what the official record says

I lived at 316 Fry Street (one block from campus) but I was officially called a commuter.

We have enough population in Denton County and on our campus to have impressive attendance, we (still) may have to alter our philosophies a bit on just how to market this football program?

by the way, i think that we should shood for around 45K in our new stadium. The way i see it the bigger the stadium the more likely we can draw larger OOC games to our place, and we all want that don't we?

btw, i lived at 902 W Hickory, it was an awesom eplace and only two blocks from Fry!!!

Edited by hickoryhouse