Nt Daily - Mean Green Offense Improves

MeanGreen61

Mean Green offense improves in 45-31 SMU loss

Shawn Edwards

Issue date: 9/11/07 Section: SPORTS

After a disappointing start to the season for the Mean Green football team's new spread offense against the University of Oklahoma, NT was able to find its rhythm in Dallas against Southern Methodist University. The offense that NT fans saw Saturday night was what head coach Todd Dodge had been expecting from the team.

"This is exactly what we are trying to show to our kids," Dodge said. "You really can't fully introduce the offense to them until they've gone out there and executed like that themselves. Now our football team knows what they can do."

The key to the offense's success was junior starting quarterback Daniel Meager's explosive performance throwing the ball. Out of NT's 613 total offensive yards, Meager's passing accounted for 601. He shattered his career record for passing yards in a game by tallying 601 yards on 46 of 64 attempts. After receiving an IV in the post game locker room, Meager expressed his disappointment over the loss, regardless of his impressive stats.

"The numbers are good, but I would have liked to come out of there with the 'W'," Meager said. "Numbers don't really mean anything. It is what the score board says."

The receivers also performed well by grabbing all but four of Meager's completions. The main target for Meager all night was his outside receiver Casey Fitzgerald who caught 18 passes for 327 yards and two touchdowns. One of the only low spots for Fitzgerald was his fumble late in the second quarter, which led to an SMU touchdown before halftime.

"I was just trying to do my best," said Fitzgerald of his record-breaking performance. "That was a great accomplishment, but I was just trying to get that win."

Brandon Jackson also had a big night catching 10 passes for 133 yards and a touchdown. Slot receivers Korey Washington and Brock Stickler combined for 118 yards on 11 receptions.

SMU head coach Phil Bennet met with Dodge outside of the looker rooms after the game to tell him how much the NT offense had worn out his defense.

With SMU coming off a 49-10 loss to Texas Tech University five days prior, Dodge's game plan was to constantly attack through the air and not be reliant on the run.

Running back Jamario Thomas was unable to start due to a hamstring injury but is expected to be back for the home opener on Sept. 22. In his place was freshman running back Micah Mosley who carried the ball 12 times for 39 yards and a touchdown.

"We came in knowing we were gonna chunk the ball," Dodge said.

Games like this is where Jamario Thomas being 100% would have changed

the defensive schemes. The defense would have to worry about JT cutting

the corners and taking off with his game breaking speed!

Regardless, I am very impressed with the offense and how the team

responded to adversity, and made 5 TD drives! WOW!