Cavalcade Of Whimsy - 10 Hidden Storylines

jperg2

SOURCE: http://cfn.scout.com/2/678318.html

473317.jpg

North Texas? Daniel Meager? The Mean Green might not be very good, but the new offense, after what it did to SMU, could quickly become worthy of national attention. This, along with several other hidden storylines, the Michigan meltdown, and more in the latest Cavalcade of Whimsy.

1. The North Texas Mean Green offense

North Texas had one of the nation’s most abysmal offenses over the last two years, and was brutal when it came to throwing the ball, averaging just 115 passing yards per game last season with only one game over 200 yards. In comes legendary Texas high school head coach Todd Dodge, whose spread passing attack dominated over the last several years. The offense didn’t do much in the 79-10 loss to Oklahoma to start the season, and then it went ballistic against SMU.

The numbers aren’t real, even in a world with Colt Brennan. 601 passing yards from Daniel Meager. 18 catches for 327 yards and two touchdown from Casey Fitzgerald. Ten catches for 133 yards and a score from Brandon Jackson. Korey Washington, the number three receiver, caught eight passes for 70 yards. Considering no one in the Sun Belt throws the forward pass with any regularity, it’ll be interesting to note what the attack does in the opener against Florida Atlantic this week. It’ll also be interesting to see how long Dodge sticks around Denton before taking his act to brighter lights.

SOURCE: http://cfn.scout.com/2/678318.html

473317.jpg

North Texas? Daniel Meager? The Mean Green might not be very good, but the new offense, after what it did to SMU, could quickly become worthy of national attention. This, along with several other hidden storylines, the Michigan meltdown, and more in the latest Cavalcade of Whimsy.

1. The North Texas Mean Green offense

North Texas had one of the nation’s most abysmal offenses over the last two years, and was brutal when it came to throwing the ball, averaging just 115 passing yards per game last season with only one game over 200 yards. In comes legendary Texas high school head coach Todd Dodge, whose spread passing attack dominated over the last several years. The offense didn’t do much in the 79-10 loss to Oklahoma to start the season, and then it went ballistic against SMU.

The numbers aren’t real, even in a world with Colt Brennan. 601 passing yards from Daniel Meager. 18 catches for 327 yards and two touchdown from Casey Fitzgerald. Ten catches for 133 yards and a score from Brandon Jackson. Korey Washington, the number three receiver, caught eight passes for 70 yards. Considering no one in the Sun Belt throws the forward pass with any regularity, it’ll be interesting to note what the attack does in the opener against Florida Atlantic this week. It’ll also be interesting to see how long Dodge sticks around Denton before taking his act to brighter lights.

Nice find. Thanks.

It’ll also be interesting to see how long Dodge sticks around Denton before taking his act to brighter lights.

Well, I'm pretty sure Dodge has some goals to accomplish here in Denton before he moves on (and he will move on), but with Riley coming and a long road to meet those goals, Dodge isn't leaving any time soon (knock on wood).

I love the attention and it is a good thing but that is another example of their slams of UNT and the Sunbelt in general. Tell me how Dodge can even get another job if the lights in Denton aren't brighter. To say that Dodge is a great coach and will do a great job and soon move on to something better BUT North Texas will still be nothing makes no sense. Yes he will probably move on but when he does well the only step up will be a BCS school. You can not say the coach will excell but the program will not. Good publicity and mostly complimentary but come on think before you write.

Well, I'm pretty sure Dodge has some goals to accomplish here in Denton before he moves on (and he will move on), but with Riley coming and a long road to meet those goals, Dodge isn't leaving any time soon (knock on wood).

I think you hit the nail on the head, on this one. With Riley changing his committment to UNT, and watching Dodge while he was at Southlake and when he wanted to move on when the time was right, I believe he will now be here at the very least 4 years.

I truly believe that if things start going up in the Win column, that NT will keep pace in the facilities and checkbook columns. I really hope that Coach Dodge is given every opportunity to enjoy his stay at North Texas so much, that he won't decide to leave. That includes fans doing our part to be at the games and force NT to build a new stadium by sheer number of butts in seats.