Vito Blog U N T Mail Bag

MeanGreen61

UNT Sunday mailbag

It's time for everyone's favorite question-and-answer session -- the UNT mailbag, an informal rundown of what it going on in the land of the Green (Kelly Green that is) and White.

I received several questions in e-mail and a few others were posted on the blog.

Our mystery guest who stops by on a regular basis asked about B.J. Lewis. The freshman wide receiver caught three passes for 9 yards early in the first half against SMU and then didn't catch a ball the rest of the night. I asked about injuries on Sunday and no one I talked to had heard of any outside of tackle Robert Peachey and running back Jamario Thomas sitting out. I am not sure what Lewis' status will be in two weeks, but I will have to agree with what most UNT fans are saying. I think Lewis has a bright future and will continue to see a lot of playing time.

Steve had several questions, including what happened to UNT's defense against SMU? UNT has some problems, especially in its defensive backfield. My Monday column is based on UNT's struggles to stop SMU. I wonder if UNT has the personnel to play in a system that leaves its cornerbacks on an island. The Mean Green isn't getting much pressure on the quarterback and is giving up a ton of yards in the passing game.

Blake wanted to know if UNT would start playing some of its younger wide receivers in the slot as the season goes along. If you ask me, this is an instance of if it isn't broke, why change it? I really like what Brock Stickler brings in terms of being a big, physical player who can go over the middle and catch the ball, B.J. Lewis is a star in the making and Korey Washington is a perfect fit in the slot. I expect all three to stay at the top of the depth chart and get most of the action, and don't forget about Roderick Johnson, who is also sitting second on the depth chart at one slot position. UNT has some talented freshmen behind those players, but I don't see the point in burning their redshirt year if they won't play a whole lot. I would be really surprised if Sam Roberson or Marcus King sees the field this year.

TD better start getting Rod, Dibrell, Lewis, and Breece some P.T. soon. We had the perfect opportunity to put them in against SMU but our WR coach chose not to get them any reps. Anytime you chase down a 35 or 40 yard route, be it a completion or not, a Wideout should come off the field and we should give that previous player a chance to get his wind instead of an iv at half time.

Edited by Dodge2007

TD better start getting Rod, Dibrell, Lewis, and Breece some P.T. soon. We had the perfect opportunity to put them in against SMU but our WR coach chose not to get them any reps. Anytime you chase down a 35 or 40 yard route, be it a completion or not, a Wideout should come off the field and we should give that previous player a chance to get his wind instead of an iv at half time.

:bangin:

The banging on the head is correct. That is what we'll be doing if we don't get some experience in the WR corp. No way B-Jax and Casey can catch that many passes and last the whole season. We have to get some depth. We have to give some of our 2nds. some playing time on the outside.

They'll be fine considering they caught about 20 passes between them last year. They should be well rested.

We pass for 600 yards and you are bitching about the WR rotation. That's awesome.

No bitching, just stating that we should be looking at our WR core. If you think I'm freakin wrong so be it. I just believe that some rotation should have happened against SMU, if you call that bitching then screw you.

I'll trust Dodge's judgement over any armchair QB.

No bitching, just stating that we should be looking at our WR core.
You mean corps?

Yeah, it's time to take long hard look at the WR corps. There were a couple more school records within reach we didn't break last week. That is unacceptable. We need new blood in there.

then screw you.

It was NOT me this time. Just for the record when this gets locked.

Let me add my 2 cents on the IV thing. Players receiving IV fluid before, during and after a game is no big deal. In fact, it's very routine. It is mainly intended to get fluids in FAST and to head off cramping. It doesn't necessarily mean they're dehydrated. Only 2 players received IV's BEFORE the OU gave. None a the half and none after the game.

Again, not a big cause for concern.

Dodge2007 does make a point that I thought would be an advantage to this offense having good depth at receiver, in regards to a receiver running a deep route and the backup coming in on the next play. This would put fresh legs up against a corner who just ran a 40 yard route or force the defense to substitute for that corner. I know that would mean pulling one of the two best players from the game for us, but it makes sense in my basic football mind and it seems logical in general.