Stats ?

Dodge2007

WE played what might have been one of the worst secondary's ever.

WE had these guys on the ropes and just couldn't finish. Stats are numbers that winners don't look at, they look at the W vs. L column and the scoreboard.

SMU has scoreboard and we are hanging our hat on stats??? NO OFFENSE to anyone, but when it counted UNT did not FINISH.

Pardon us for getting excited about an entire years worth of passing stats from Dickeyball in one night of Dodgeball. We didn't win but once again this is the SECOND GAME under this new regime and everyone is still learning. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you regarding the team not finishing but we need to give this team some time. Belt teams will not be able to handle this offense.

Edited by Eagle-96

WE had these guys on the ropes and just couldn't finish. Stats are numbers that winners don't look at, they look at the W vs. L column and the scoreboard.

SMU has scoreboard and we are hanging our hat on stats??? NO OFFENSE to anyone, but when it counted UNT did not FINISH.

Why don't you e-mail Coach Dodge and see if he'll let you make this speech to the team in person at the next practice instead of by anonymous post? Then you can look the players straight in the eye while you make these bizarrely destructive comments.

Hey, don't get me wrong stats are important...........I am not happy about the way we lost and how everyone is giddy on the stats. I would take an ugly WIN, than all stats combined.....I don't want to be the run and shoot Houston Cougars who only worried about STATS.

LET's win games and worrry about the stats second.

Our run game is non-existent...

21 rushes, 12 yards.

Folks, SMU's defense was breaking in three new DLs and had lost their leading tackler, a linebacker, from last year. And, all we could do was get 12 yards on the ground?

In addition to the defensive problems, this has to change. You can't succeed without a run game. This is something we need to watch as we begin our Sun Belt schedule. We may set a lot of passing records, (if we see defenses as bad as SMU's again) but we'll also be on the losing end of many 45-31-type games, too.

Am I the only one concerned about this after two games...one against a pretty good OU defense and another against a crappy SMU defense. In two games, we've run the ball 52 times for 27 yards. It's bad. Really bad.

Texas Tech ran 18 times for 80 yards, a healthy 4.4 yards per attempt, against SMU just five days before.

Am I the only one thinking along these lines? If all we do is worrying about how good passing stats are, we're going to be in trouble?

Here's my challenge to you: go find the last time that UNT was down at the half and scored points to tie the game (or take the lead). This team under Dodge is different, and quite a few of us feel that about this team.

Well, I can see where this season is headed...if we lose, don't mention the things we need to work on, just keep talking about passing and receiving records:

In back-to-back games, opposing QBs have career days...doesn't matter, we had career passing and receiving games against SMU, a team with the nation's worst defense...next to us.

In back-to-back games, we have 15 and 12 yards rushing (yes, we ran for fewer yards against SMU than we did against OU, who crushed Miami)...nevermind, look at all the passes we completed.

In back-to-back-games, we've given up 124 points total...irrelevant, do you realize we set a record for pass attempts?

In back-to-back games, we given up 265 and 181 yards rushing...who cares, on the offensive side of the ball we had a receiver catch 300+ yards worth of passes.

After two games, we have 5 total punt return yards and average far less than 20 yards per kickoff return...so what, did you see all the passing yards we had.

What a great, intelligent fan base we have.

You kool aid drinkers believe what you want, the rest of us don't have to go merrily along. We just saw SMU light up our defense through the air and on the ground. SMU. We passed on a poor defensive team, but couldn't run on them. We get nothing out of special teams on returns in either game. And, so, we're supposed to be elated?

Sorry. What we need is mass improvement on defense, offense, and special teams before FAU comes to Denton. I hope other people see the reality here and aren't blinding by passing stats.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Sorry. What we need is mass improvement on defense, offense, and special teams before FAU comes to Denton. I hope other people see the reality here and aren't blinding by passing stats.

Agreed. The defense needs to improve, hell it would be nice if they improved a lot. But rather than raining on some fans parade on the OUTSTANDING offensive numbers that Meager and Fitz put up, give the negative talk a rest at least until Monday. Let the fans enjoy the good things that came out of this loss.

Well, I can see where this season is headed...if we lose, don't mention the things we need to work on, just keep talking about passing and receiving records:

In back-to-back games, opposing QBs have career days...doesn't matter, we had career passing and receiving games against SMU, a team with the nation's worst defense...next to us.

In back-to-back games, we have 15 and 12 yards rushing (yes, we ran for fewer yards against SMU than we did against OU, who crushed Miami)...nevermind, look at all the passes we completed.

In back-to-back-games, we've given up 124 points total...irrelevant, do you realize we set a record for pass attempts?

In back-to-back games, we given up 265 and 181 yards rushing...who cares, on the offensive side of the ball we had a receiver catch 300+ yards worth of passes.

After two games, we have 5 total punt return yards and average far less than 20 yards per kickoff return...so what, did you see all the passing yards we had.

What a great, intelligent fan base we have.

You kool aid drinkers believe what you want, the rest of us don't have to go merrily along. We just saw SMU light up our defense through the air and on the ground. SMU. We passed on a poor defensive team, but couldn't run on them. We get nothing out of special teams on returns in either game. And, so, we're supposed to be elated?

GREAT POST. Actually someone seeing something besides the STATS.

Why does it matter what the rushing stats are? The route combos Dodge was calling were moving the ball up and down the field all night...why stop? If that would not have been there for the taking like it was, Dodge would have run more and those stats would have been better. Dodge has an offense that can attack any weakness, and last night that weakness was clearly through the air.

I blame Roman's hair for this.

And Mendoza's Cover 1.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE DODGE BALL and the future that it presents. I also think that we need to improve our rushing offense a bit to balance things out so that we can start to win consistently. That may take some time. If I have a major complaint about Dodgeball (offensively), I would have to say that I would like to see the QB under center occasionally in short yardage situations. Of course hindsight is allways 20/20, but it certainly would have been nice to have run the ball in to tie the game when we were on their one yard line. I'm not even going to mention our defensive effort because I'm starting to believe that we will soon improve, but I think that the future is so bright that we all should start to wear GREEN SHADES!!!!!! :)

Look, we ran the ball three more times against SMU than Texas Tech did...

Versus SMU:

Tech - 18 rushes, 80 yards

UNT - 21 rushes, 12 yards

We did try to run against SMU. But, we couldn't. That's what some of us are saying the problem is. Not run more, but actually be able to run when we try.

If we can't run against SMU, when they are expecting passes on every down, then who will be able to run against? That's the question.

And, since you're a coach, you should know best that if an opposing defense doesn't have to worry about your run game, they simply drop an extra man into coverage.

We won't see another defense as good as OU's, but we also won't see another as bad as SMU's. We didn't pass all that well against OU, we lit up SMU. We'll get defenses in between the two for the rest of the season (except, maybe, Arkansas, who will OU-us to death). So, when we have our passing game shut down against some of those better defenses, what to we do to loosen the pass coverage...well, it looks like nothing. A big bag of nothing.

Hey, don't get me wrong stats are important...........I am not happy about the way we lost and how everyone is giddy on the stats. I would take an ugly WIN, than all stats combined.....I don't want to be the run and shoot Houston Cougars who only worried about STATS.

LET's win games and worrry about the stats second.

I don't often agree with your posts...but you're right on target with that one. I could give a shit about stats if we can't even win the game.

Look, we ran the ball three more times against SMU than Texas Tech did...

Versus SMU:

Tech - 18 rushes, 80 yards

UNT - 21 rushes, 12 yards

We did try to run against SMU. But, we couldn't. That's what some of us are saying the problem is. Not run more, but actually be able to run when we try.

If we can't run against SMU, when they are expecting passes on every down, then who will be able to run against? That's the question.

And, since you're a coach, you should know best that if an opposing defense doesn't have to worry about your run game, they simply drop an extra man into coverage.

We won't see another defense as good as OU's, but we also won't see another as bad as SMU's. We didn't pass all that well against OU, we lit up SMU. We'll get defenses in between the two for the rest of the season (except, maybe, Arkansas, who will OU-us to death). So, when we have our passing game shut down against some of those better defenses, what to we do to loosen the pass coverage...well, it looks like nothing. A big bag of nothing.

I that exposes the subtle differences in run blocking as opposed to pass blocking. And its obvious that we are not very good at one of those. Hopefull some of these left tackle prospects that we have recruited can turn this around.

I don't often agree with your posts...but you're right on target with that one. I could give a shit about stats if we can't even win the game.

It is all about winning........SCOREBOARD is the only stat. I want to win be it with Meager or Vizza or TD in disguise, I could care less. Put the SOB who can win and has the WILL to win on the field. Two more losses with DM regardless of stats and I start Vizza, imo.

Edited by Dodge2007

It is all about winning........SCOREBOARD is the only stat. I want to win be it with Meager or Vizza or TD in disguise, I could care less. Put the SOB who can win and has the WILL to win on the field. Two more losses with DM regardless of stats and I start Vizza, imo.

I am right there with you on that one. The sickening feeling in my stomach last night once we went down 38 - 31, I really had no confidence in DM, even after what we had seen all game. Once he threw the pick that was returned back for a TD and we went down 14, and then DM trotted back on the field, I knew we were done. I really wanted to see Vizza in that situation. He just doesn't seem to do really well in the very tight situations. That last 4 minutes was a great example. Not trying to take anything away from the guy, and I hope I am wrong.

I have been there for those games. I watched DD coach many, many 13-7 contests. And let me tell you that the game is also a marketing experience, so stats other than the score do matter. A run first offense hoping to wind the clock before the other team can drive the field will draw about 500 fans (see previous attendance marks). TD will bring an exciting offense that will bring athletes with a winning attitude, and fans.

The 'W's will come. Be patient.

FYI: Sacks count as negative rushing yards. Also, that bad snap where we lost like 20-25 yards, more negative rushing yards.

Vs SMU on 21 carries

Mosley - 39 yds / 12 carries

Meager - minus 4 yds / 8 carries

Team - minus 23 yds / 1 carry

Vs OU on 31 carries

Micah Mosley - 15 yds / 5 carries

Vizza - 7 yds / 7 carries

Montgomery - 7 yds / 3 carries

Thomas - 4 yds / 5 carries

Cox - 1 yd / 1 carry

Meager - minus 19 / 10 carries

In the grand scheme of things, we did a better job running the ball against SMU than we did OU.

Why would anyone worry about rushing stats when you can pass for an average of almost 10 yards per attempt. Actually the rushing stats were not all that bad if you eliminate the bad snap and a couple of plays were Meager was caught in the backfield and that probably should have been counted as sacks. Rushing last night was only to keep the defense honest and NT was effective enough apparently to kept SMU from completely playing for a pass.

The time to worry is going to be in the comming games, were I am sure the teams are going to load up on pass defense and dare NT to run. If NT can't move the ball on the ground, then it is going to be a problem, I see a lot of prevent type defenses comming NT's way.

Edited by GrandGreen

Damn, this thread is such a beat down!!!

Do you really think the people only care about the stats? Do you really think people don't realize that attempting 21 rushs for 12 yards is a problem?

Can you please just accept that people are excited about Dodgeball? Let them find joy in the fact that in the 2nd game of this new scheme, new HC, new DC, and new OC that we are able to become 3rd in the nation in passing offense and posted the #1 receiver for receiving yards per game!

The jouney is just beginning.

Yeah, SMU dropped that extra man and the offense came to a screeching halt, keeping us under 700 yards passing.

We had 600+ yards of offense. Moving the ball wasn't the problem. So who cares about rushing stats.

Mendoza's grace period is now over, he's got 2 weeks for FAU.No excuses.

Grace period over? He's had two games, one against what very well may be the best team in the country.

The defense is struggling, but let's give him a while to implement his full defense and bring in the type of recruits he wants. That's not too much to ask. It's a rebuilding year for the whole team.

I said this summer that I thought the offense would be ahead of the defense, and that is what happened.

The team still has a conference title to play for and the players will be learning the new system more and more every week. The thing I am most worried about is how slow our defense has looked. Against OU, it's understandable, but when SMU makes you look like you are running in sand, there may need to be athletic upgrades before any of the schemes look good.

But it's probably that simple cover 1.

And Roman's hair. All his fault.