A Thought On Us Fans.

KingDL1

Now to start with at times I am a bit slow (the retarded kind). I have noticed that we seem to be out of whack with what we are doing as fans. When to make noise and when not to.

But it seems odd that our fans want to scream as our offense is getting set. I have noticed at the big college stadiums that the home crowd is nice and quiet in the same situation. Is that because we have a track? Do we as a whole need fan training. Am I truly retarded?

Edited by KingDL1

Now to start with at times I am a bit slow (the retarded kind). I have noticed that we seem to be out of whack with what we are doing as fans. When to make noise and when not to.

But it seems odd that our fans want to scream as our offense is getting set. I have noticed at the big college stadiums that the home crowd is nice and quiet in the same situation. Is that because we have a track? Do we we as a whole need fan training. Am I truly retarded?

No, you aren't the only one that feels like this. There is a group the leads cheers during offense all the time. They aren't in the stands.

No, you aren't the only one that feels like this. There is a group the leads cheers during offense all the time. They aren't in the stands.

Just say who they are Zeke. Most of the NT fans know it's the the starched-shirt wearing, bandana waving "Wings." It's nice to have a group of supporters on the field, but it would be even nicer if the group new when to make noise (an opponents third down) and when to be quiet (an NT third down).

Perhaps a nice laminated card detailing the times to make noise and not too......hmmm....this may have been suggested before ;)

What gets me is the lack of education of our fans. They boo when we have a legitimate false start. They boo when we have blatant pass interference. They boo when we dont catch the ball because they think it was defensive pass interference. They boo when our receiver steps out of bounds and gets called for a penalty. BOO when its time to boo (like when the receiver catches the ball and falls to his knees and gets up to run again and its not caught by the refs)

It's very simple if the other team has the ball go ahead and yell anytime you want especially on third down or long yardage situations. If we have the ball cheer after a big play or anything good for all I care but if we're trying to get the play called in stay quiet.

You know that is what I thought, but since I seemed to me in the minority I thought I must be slow.

What about kickoffs?

Speaking of noise, I thought it was very CRAPPY of SMU to play that thunderous horse noise, when we were at the line, during 3rd down situations. I have no problem, if their fans make noise and cause us problems. But, canned noise....should be against the rules. (I think it is.....)

And, it did hurt us. We had a 3rd and 7, at their 28......they pump up the volume on that horse noise....and we get a false start. That five yards, stalled our drive and put us out of FG range.

I've seen this a million times from the track at Fouts...and it's the cheerleaders. Plain and simple, they're trying to get noise from the crowds when the QB and the rest of the offense needs to focus on what they can hear...QB audibles, audibles called from the defense, and of course, SNAP COUNT.

Someone should have a talk with the cheerleader coach. This is about the ONLY complaint I've ever had with the cheerleaders.

Jordan Palmer actually used his time as starting QB @ UTEP to teach the El Pasoans this very thing. When 40+ thousand people are so in the game and want to see the offense score, it can get kinda loud lol

You've seen how defenses will extend their arms all the way out, with the palms up, and flap them like birds to get the crowd pumped. I remember many times Palmer's junior and early senior year he'd pull away from the center, extend his arms out and flap them but with his palms DOWN....telling the crowd to be quiet.

Price made a comment about it in a couple of his post game radio shows. Very friendly and respective (one of the nicest/funnest coaches to follow out there) and, low and behold, by the end of Palmer's senior campaign (and, so far so good this year with Trevor Vittatoe) we have a hush crowd when UTEP is on O. It's amazing how fast word of mouth can be.

Speaking of noise, I thought it was very CRAPPY of SMU to play that thunderous horse noise, when we were at the line, during 3rd down situations. I have no problem, if their fans make noise and cause us problems. But, canned noise....should be against the rules. (I think it is.....)

And, it did hurt us. We had a 3rd and 7, at their 28......they pump up the volume on that horse noise....and we get a false start. That five yards, stalled our drive and put us out of FG range.

I know it is against the rules in the nfl, and I thought it was in college too. When I went to an nba game I thought it was odd they were playing music during play. But Nobody goes to ford so no one would ever know if they broke the rules....sorry had to tak a small shot. I also thought the same thing of our fans and the uniformed chanters, needing to be quiet during offensive set up.