Meager Vs Vizza... Or Not?

Cooley

I think the difference of opinion, expressed here by most, is that Daniel Meager had a great performance based on his heretofore standards. Others feel that despite the impressive stats and overall good game, they don't feel comfortable with him leading this program to new heights. Meager is, in fact, a junior in a year or two in which we are not expected to go bowling.

What's interesting about this Meager vs Vizza debate is that it shouldn't be from this point forward. I've been in the "give me anyone else" camp regarding Meager. After last night, he has clearly solidified his starting status on this team. Aside from Arkansas, the competition will equal, slightly be better or be less than the SMU Mustangs the rest of the way. Vizza will only receive mop up duty the rest of the way.

It is clear to this poster that we are in a rebuilding mode and should focus on the bigger picture for the program. Going forward, our offense will put up 500 yards of offense against the SMU types. Will it be Meager or the system? Coach Dodge is already loading up on wide receivers.

Enter young Riley Dodge in the spring, who will not be a true true freshman next fall. Vizza immediately falls to #3 on the charts. TD will probably recruit another top tier QB in 08-09. Like it or not, but Vizza's will be an after thought after last night for the rest of the year; possibly the rest of his career.

Dodge Ball 2007: Throw it, Catch it, Win with it!

I really don't see it that way. Dodge went after one QB and one QB only in his first recruiting class for a reason. I don't deny that Danny is your starter this season, and he deserves to be, but a lot can happen this season or in the off-season that may put Vizza on the field. He's too good a talent not to. If anything I'd say perhaps Todge doesn't have to pull in a QB in the 2009 class because he has Meager as a senior, a quality backup in Vizza and Rodge redshirting and waiting in the wings.

You cant just rule out tht vizza will that start this year. Tech put up the same numbers as did meager against a poor smu team. As well meager makes many mistakes or to many that will hurt us during the season. Vizza will start before season ends because of poor play by meager. Yes he had 600 yards passing but any quarterback who throws the ball 60 plus times should put up big numbers like meager did. And you cant just say Riley wil not be a true freshmen next fall just because he has ran this offensive he entire football career but he will be because of the difference between college and highschool football. Yes i believe Riley will be better than the others in running dodge ball but he will make mistakes early just like any other freshman would.

Go UNT beat FAU

As well meager makes many mistakes or to many that will hurt us during the season. Vizza will start before season ends because of poor play by meager.

Translated to:......I forget all the times protection broke down and DM had the presence in mind to tuck it and run or throw the ball away much less any drop when the ball was delivered on target or when it was snapped overhead from the SMU 1.

Rick

Translated to:......I forget all the times protection broke down and DM had the presence in mind to tuck it and run or throw the ball away much less any drop when the ball was delivered on target or when it was snapped overhead from the SMU 1.

Rick

Amen, brother.

This Meager-Must-Go bandwagon is a pain.

A possible quarterback UNT scenario: Meager starts this year and next year. Vizza backs up this year and next, gets some playing time, then starts as a junior and senior. Riley red-shirts next year, backs up Vizza for two years, then starts his junior and senior years. That's typical for good college programs across the country. Pressing a freshmen in as starting QB usually happens when there is not a good, experienced man to hold the job - like OU after the Bomar scandal or Texas after Vince Young left early for the NFL.

After watching Vizza play against OU and Riley in the highlight vids, I'm of the opinion (maybe I'm wrong when I see some good footage of him?) that Riley is going to need to work on his long ball and arm strength of he wants to overcome Vizza. And I don't think that has anything to do with coverage/college-highschool differences.

Vizza's arm just looks flat out better right now than anything I've seen from Rodge.

Amen, brother.

A possible quarterback UNT scenario: Meager starts this year and next year. Vizza backs up this year and next, gets some playing time, then starts as a junior and senior. Riley red-shirts next year, backs up Vizza for two years, then starts his junior and senior years. That's typical for good college programs across the country. Pressing a freshmen in as starting QB usually happens when there is not a good, experienced man to hold the job - like OU after the Bomar scandal or Texas after Vince Young left early for the NFL.

I'm with you. I can't really count the OU game since it was basically the first real trial for everyone in the football department and because (judging from the Miami game) OU is just that good this season. Last night (even through the radio broadcast), I could tell that this year's Danny Meager is NOT last year's Danny Meager. DM and the WR corps lit up the sky last night, and even though SMU's pass D is weak, 600+ yards passing converts to still outstanding numbers against any school with a decent pass D.

So maybe those who said DM needed the right coach and the right system were right. Then again, I think we all agreed that the players last year needed the right coaches to do their job at their best.

The fact of the matter is that Meager has started 2 games this season. We have lost both of them. Many people complained about AROD having empty numbers when he played for Texas. I feel the same way about Meager. He put up huge numbers but he lost. Look at the NFL QB's this past week. Many of the top performers lost. The reason for that is because if you are behind you usually throw the ball more. Same thing applies here to some extent. Yea we know UNT is going to throw the ball a lot but SMU also played more relaxed defense because they had a double digit lead most the second half.

As for the guys on here that think Reilly is going to be the QB at UNT i would be surprised. I have a buddy that is on the UT message board and he told me that Reilly was going to play wide receiver at UT not QB. I think RD plays wide receiver at UNT as well. I think Reilly is a great talent but he doesn’t have a great arm. In high school that is ok, but in college you have to have a stronger arm to make the throws because the defensive players are faster. I think he would be a great wide receiver at UNT because he already knows all the wide receiver positions and where they are going.

As you can tell by the posting name i am very much in favor of Vizza playing QB. I just look at the long run the more he plays today while our team is struggling the better our team will be tomorrow. That is how i see it.

Edited by Vizza4QB

The good news is this:

We have the reigning 5A Player of the Year coming, and 4A Player of the Year here now that are both Quarterbacks for the Mean Green. We also have the guy who can coach an average QB like Meager into a good college QB. Imagine what he can do with guys like Vizza and Riley who he is recruiting because they fit the specific needs of this system.

By the way...what do we call our system?

Tech is 'Air Raid', Florida is 'Spread Option'...what do we call ours?

After watching Vizza play against OU and Riley in the highlight vids, I'm of the opinion (maybe I'm wrong when I see some good footage of him?) that Riley is going to need to work on his long ball and arm strength of he wants to overcome Vizza. And I don't think that has anything to do with coverage/college-highschool differences.

Vizza's arm just looks flat out better right now than anything I've seen from Rodge.

ditto...all this talk about Rodge all but having the starter spot locked up when he arrives is absurd.

Also, Riley isnt going to be able to run like he did in HS in college-- he'll get killed. I've seen him at couple events this year, and there's no way that guy is 6'0.

Amen, brother.

I think I'm off the Meager must go bandwagon...but I am still firmly planted on the I want to see Vizza on the field bandwagon...they have similar paint jobs but completly different under the hood.

At some point this season we need to make the determination whether or not we're contenders...this season. There are people that are saying Meager is now firmly entrenched as the starter the rest of the way...what if we start 0-5? or 1-6?...what if New Orleans becomes a non-possibility this season? Thats when we need to see what we have...if those flashes that got a lot of people excited at the OU game we legit Vizza. The two year starting QB is rare these days...and I don't think that Vizza would stick around two years purely as a back-up. If the season is lost by the Navy game...IMO Vizza needs to be on the field.

The good news is this:

We have the reigning 5A Player of the Year coming, and 4A Player of the Year here now that are both Quarterbacks for the Mean Green. We also have the guy who can coach an average QB like Meager into a good college QB. Imagine what he can do with guys like Vizza and Riley who he is recruiting because they fit the specific needs of this system.

By the way...what do we call our system?

Tech is 'Air Raid', Florida is 'Spread Option'...what do we call ours?

This is why I am so excited about our future with Dodge. He took players not recruited for this system and turned it into 601 yards of offense. I want Vizza playing especially if we are going to lose. If Meager can learn this system enough and the defense catches up and we win, give me Meager. With Meager you have this season and one more. If Vizza is going to be your QB next year, then make him the QB now. I don't care to go through this season with Meager, and then have to watch a freshman next year.

Recruiting is a numbers game... I personally don't care who is playing quarterback each year....as long as they win the job and continue to do their jobs on the field... competition in a program is a sign of strength and helps in depth if someone goes down durning the year... If we have 3 really strong possibilities for QB next year, that means we have the best player chuckin it for UNT next year resulting from competition... Not everyone is going to get to play, regardless of how highly touted someone is coming in... The cream rises to the top, and the quality of player we have steadily gets better as we get more and more good recruits coming in... THE DODGE will make the correct start nod every year. I just hope he sticks by his decisions to give his starters confidence out there on the field as he appears to have done with DM...

I would be scared though if we end up with the rotating quarterback thing... that is the only thing that worries me with good alternatives especially with this shotgun and chuckit offense...

As for the guys on here that think Reilly is going to be the QB at UNT i would be surprised. I have a buddy that is on the UT message board and he told me that Reilly was going to play wide receiver at UT not QB. I think RD plays wide receiver at UNT as well. I think Reilly is a great talent but he doesn’t have a great arm. In high school that is ok, but in college you have to have a stronger arm to make the throws because the defensive players are faster. I think he would be a great wide receiver at UNT because he already knows all the wide receiver positions and where they are going.

Yes, Riley was recruited to UT as an athlete, not a QB. But he has specifically said that he has come to UNT to play QB. And while I believe Vizza will be ahead of him on the depth chart next year, I would be surprised if Riley is not our starter by his junior year.

Brilliant!

Some one send me a PM and tell me how to change the little "Platinum Eagle" tag under my avatar

Only because you gave me a terrific signature. :lol:

No, not dirty unless you make it that way. I think the double entendre is fair game unless it is especially graphic. Call it the "quoner exemption."

Guest GrayEagleOne

I sort of liken this to the situation that we had a few years back with Coach Dickey. I think that many of us felt that Coach Dickey would never take us to even a Top 50 ranking but he had such success that we couldn't get rid of him.

Daniel Meager had the best game of his career against SMU. He set conference records and ranked high in NCAA single game annals. In spite of that spectacular record he didn't get a W and he had overthrows, underthrows and errors in judgment. His lack of zip on the ball (partially from fatigue) led to three interceptions at crunch time. But, he was not the Meager of old. This was far, far better than we had ever seen him. Even though he had to be dog tired, you just couldn't pull him for a fresh arm. He was simply too good for that night.

Who knows if this is the new Daniel Meager or will he return to his old form? My guess is that he has permanently improved but it won't be enough to win conference, even though he may very well be the all-conference quarterback. Meager will likely continue to improve and unless Vizza is virtually perfect in practice, will not lose any playing time unless he is injured.

Vizza may have the much brighter future but until Meager falters, TD must leave him in. We've definitely been in worse shape.