Things To Make You Feel Good.

I got to take my hat off to our Mean Green tonight. Despite the loss, I feel great right now. Well not completely great.

Anyway, we put up HUGE numbers, numbers none of else have ever seen before. These numbers are so big, I can't type them on this board. Despite the mistakes that were made (late picks, missed tackles, the bad snap, the refs' couple of no calls, questional moves by Dodge), I feel really good about a few things I saw.

Meager confidently moving the ball and controlling the game.

Fitzgerald being completely unstoppable.

Some good tackles like Maurice ripping Willis' head off.

The support of our fellow fans/students, and the fact we probably outnumbered SMU fans.

And mostly..................THE FEELING THAT I WAS AT A BIG TIME FOOTBALL GAME. The atmosphere was awesome, it was an intense, hard fought game.

It is coming people. It is coming.

Edited by LittleMeanGreenMan

Meager's Numnbers:

41/64 for 601yds

71.8% completion percentage

14.6 yds/completion

3 TD's

Not too bad...yes, I know he threw 3 ints...they couldn't have come at worse times, but the kid had a HELL of a game.

It was eluded to on the post game show by Dodge that his arm could have been a little tired after throwing the ball 64 TIMES. Not making excuses, but he could have something there. That is a hell of a lot of throwing

There were several other plays not related to Meager that hurt us pretty bad too.

Fitzgerald was simply amazing...he is something special

THE THING I NOTICED MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE...

Todd Dodge coached more on the sideline tonight in one game than I have ever seen Dickey coach in a game in 7 years combined. He was constantly coaching up his players in between every series...this team WILL get things together, and Dodge WILL put us on the map.

Would have liked to seen a victory tonight, but I left with a positive feeling about the direction of this program.

Edited by BIG DAWG

Meager's Numnbers:

41/64 for 601yds

71.8% completion percentage

14.6 yds/completion

3 TD's

Not too bad...yes, I know he threw 3 ints...they couldn't have come at worse times, but the kid had a HELL of a game.

It was eluded to on the post game show by Dodge that his arm could have been a little tired after throwing the ball 64 TIMES. Not making excuses, but he could have something there. That is a hell of a lot of throwing

There were several other plays not related to Meager that hurt us pretty bad too.

Fitzgerald was simply amazing...he is something special

THE THING I NOTICED MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE...

Todd Dodge coached more on the sideline tonight in one game than I have ever seen Dickey coach in a game in 7 years combined. He was constantly coaching up his players in between every series...this team WILL get things together, and Dodge WILL put us on the map.

Would have liked to seen a victory tonight, but I left with a positive feeling about the direction of this program.

I will agree that Meager had a great game, but at the end of the day, if your biggest mistakes are at the most critical times of the games, that is not good and ultimately not someone you can count on. Meager has proved to me that if the game is on the line, as it was tonight in the fourth quarter, that he can't get it done. 3 INT's in a game is a lot, but all in the fourth quarter are horrible.

I will agree that Meager had a great game, but at the end of the day, if your biggest mistakes are at the most critical times of the games, that is not good and ultimately not someone you can count on. Meager has proved to me that if the game is on the line, as it was tonight in the fourth quarter, that he can't get it done. 3 INT's in a game is a lot, but all in the fourth quarter are horrible.

Upsetting. No doubt.

You are 100% right, but I just wanted everyone to cut the guy a little bit of a break. He has to go through a bunch crap here, and some of it his own doing with his play on the field, but tonight, without the three picks we call it a game for the history books.

Now, saying that, don't we all wish we could just erase picks and bad plays, then everyone would be a Hall of Famer I guess.

I just don't want to hear everyone jumping all over him, when in reality, if you score 31 points in a game you SHOULD win that game. Meager is not the sole reason we lost this game, and that is the point I am trying to make.

You could even make the arguement that he kept us in the game.

You are 100% right, but I just wanted everyone to cut the guy a little bit of a break. He has to go through a bunch crap here, and some of it his own doing with his play on the field, but tonight, without the three picks we call it a game for the history books.

Now, saying that, don't we all wish we could just erase picks and bad plays, then everyone would be a Hall of Famer I guess.

I just don't want to hear everyone jumping all over him, when in reality, if you score 31 points in a game you SHOULD win that game. Meager is not the sole reason we lost this game, and that is the point I am trying to make.

You could even make the arguement that he kept us in the game.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for saying it.

He proved that to you after 1 game? Todd Dodge is a hell of a quarterbacks coach and he would not put Meager on the field if he did not feel that he was the most qualified to run this offense. He will learn from this and become a better player.

You could even make the argument that he kept us in the game.

It already is in the record books. Best UNT passing game in 38 years, and all-time greatest UNT receiving game (Fitzgerald).

We threw more tonight than all last year. Three picks, sure. The first two were because receivers got beat. The third was DM's.

The best way to avoid picks is not to pass, a DD specialty. The second best way is to have the best QB coach in Texas keep working with your starter, which he will do.

Nobody could look at this game rationally and not see a positive change taking place.

Did anyone else notice after we had a dropped pass on a slant with a wide open field for a touchdown right before the half that our receivers came out and actually started throwing the ball around with the qb on the sideline after the half? Is this common practice? Because I don't think I remember seeing that back when Dickey was here.

I can't believe anyone could criticize Meager after tonight's game. However, I was wrong. Yes, he set almost every NT single game passing record, but heck he was not perfect. I have read here that he constantly under threw his receivers (not sure how this could happen with a 70%+ % completion rate), has happy feet, and he can't be relied on when the game is on the line. Those have to be some of the most football ignorant quotes I have seen. Don't consider that although his receivers made some tremendous catches, he also had several balls dropped. Also do not consider that despite having a lot of defensive pressure, Meager did not get sacked. It is also puzzling how TD who is almost universally praised on this board for his quarterback development skills, is apparently according to many unable to chose the best QB.

Edited by GrandGreen

I can't believe anyone could criticize Meager after tonight's game. However, I was wrong. Yes, he set most NT single game passing records, but heck he was not perfect. I have read here that he constantly underthrow his receivers, has happy feet, and he can't be relied on when the game is on the line. Those have to be some of the most football ignorant quotes

Well, we shall see as the season progresses.

Did anyone else notice after we had a dropped pass on a slant with a wide open field for a touchdown right before the half that our receivers came out and actually started throwing the ball around with the qb on the sideline after the half? Is this common practice? Because I don't think I remember seeing that back when Dickey was here.

Yes, when the quarterbacks warm up anytime they are usually throwing to a reciever who hands it to the other QB. It keeps the recievers hands ready and it prevents the occasional jammed thumb/finger on the QB's.... i guess...

Yes, he set most NT single game passing records, but heck he was not perfect.

That's like pitching a no-hitter in a baseball game but losing the game because you walked 4 straight batters. Who cares about individual passing records when you lose the game?? As bad as our defense was, the game was tied at 31 when Meager threw interceptions on consecutive series...the second INT was for a TD and virtually assured SMU the victory.

I have read here that he constantly under threw his receivers

Unless TD designed the plays for the receivers backs to be facing the goal line when they made the catch, then it's a fact Meager under threw numerous passes tonight.

Also do not consider that despite having a lot of defensive pressure, Meager did not get sacked.

I'm not sure that's correct...I may be wrong but I'm pretty certain he was sacked at least once (and I do not blame him for that).

So he needed to be perfect to satisfy you guys. nice.

From a 79-10 loss to 600+ yards, 60+ attempts, and the greatest receiving performance in school history.

Nice. Would you like your bill ironed? Find more to be pickey about. Fine. But don't ever be happy about improvement.

The SMU defense sucked. Bring in Vizza? shush.

That's like pitching a no-hitter in a baseball game but losing the game because you walked 4 straight batters. Who cares about individual passing records when you lose the game?? As bad as our defense was, the game was tied at 31 when Meager threw interceptions on consecutive series...the second INT was for a TD and virtually assured SMU the victory.

How did NT get those 31 points, did I miss another QB that was in the game. I care about offensive production and there was plenty of that.

Unless TD designed the plays for the receivers backs to be facing the goal line when they made the catch, then it's a fact Meager under threw numerous passes tonight.

OK, How many of Meager's passes were under thrown out of 60+passes? I guess you discounted Vizza td throw against OU, or do you contend that he knew that Fitzgerald would comeback and make a great play? Hey, Meager also over throw some passes; don't forget that.

I'm not sure that's correct...I may be wrong but I'm pretty certain he was sacked at least once (and I do not blame him for that).

I though he was sacked once also but it did not appear in the stats.

I know one thing from being at the game tonight. If this game atmosphere, our crowd, the noise, and the entertaining (but disappointing) conclusion don't make the case for regular home and home series with SMU and TCU, I don't know what can. It's a good thing I can type this because my vocal chords won't be back for a day or two. :o