Smu's 1982 National Championship Team To Be Honored At Unt Game

UNTflyer

DALLAS — Members of SMU's 1982 National Championship team will be honored at halftime of the SMU-UNT game on Saturday. Among those expected to be in attendance are running back Eric Dickerson and quarterback Lance McIlhenny.

The event, which is part of SMU's Lettermen's Reunion Weekend, will celebrate the 25th anniversary of the 1982 team, which finished 11-0-1, winning the Southwest Conference and earning National Championship recognition from the Helms Athletic Foundation.

DALLAS — Members of SMU's 1982 National Championship team will be honored at halftime of the SMU-UNT game on Saturday. Among those expected to be in attendance are running back Eric Dickerson and quarterback Lance McIlhenny.

The event, which is part of SMU's Lettermen's Reunion Weekend, will celebrate the 25th anniversary of the 1982 team, which finished 11-0-1, winning the Southwest Conference and earning National Championship recognition from the Helms Athletic Foundation.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, really,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, it takes some gonads for SMU to honor that team. Yes, SMU bought a good team and suffered the consequences and is still trying to climb out of the hole created by the worst penalty ever handled out by the NCAA. Not sure what they are celebrating, I think SMU might be better off trying to distance themselves from those years.

I thought they were stripped of all their championships for fielding a pro team at the college level. Hell I'm sure we could pay a team to come here and win a national championship but that defeats the point. Just another brilliant idea by the people at SMU. Lets honor the people that destroyed the program, yeah thats a great idea. Why don't they put all the donors on the field too with the coach and the AD from back then? Might as well give everyone credit. I feel sorry for anyone that gets an "education" from that school.

Oh wait. I get it now. This must go along with that whole Pony Up theme they have going this year. Brilliant!

I grew up a huge SMU fan and during Mustang Mania back in the 80's. They never won a national championship though. Most polls had them a distant 2nd.

This is a question I never understand completely. There was a poll or organization that did recognize SMU as a National champion.

National Champs

This is a question I never understand completely. There was a poll or organization that did recognize SMU as a National champion.

National Champs

Yes you are correct, but it was by some low level organization, not any of the major reconignized polls. No where outside of SMU considers them a National Champion. It's not like one major poll had Penn State as the champion, and the other SMU like some years that there is a split NC.

ok ok ok. I've thought about it and if SMU wants to honor their 1982 team for their great season and national ChampioHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no, seriously

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is comical.

By 1982 Helms had lost all credibility, that is, if it ever had any to begin with, and the poll disolved after that season because of rabid disinterest. In the polls last eight years it was marred by confusion and had awarded 12 different national champions. It was nearly as highly regarded as the prestigious Three Drunks at a Bar poll.

Face facts SMU, these ass clowns that you are honoring for their farcical National Championship are the same people that caused your program to go...

BELLY UP

Wasn't this the same team that some of the players were paid by boosters that lead to the SMU Death Penalty?

The one and only football death penalty the NCAA has ever put on any school?

Yeah, it's a lot like honoring Enron executives for the outstanding job they did cooking the books before the big crash.

Those asswipes were cheating and destroying the integrity of the game.

Only SMU would ever honor such trash. Shame on them. Somewhere in the world A Kenneth Pye is spinning in his grave.

They have to celebrate something, you can't spend 20+ years wallowing in self pity.

Most SMU fans think 1982 was last season...every season...for the past 25 years

This is the best thing that could of happend to me. My wife graduated from Penn State, and I've had a hard time getting her behind the Mean Green, but now that she has since this, she is excited about going to this game, and she even plans on wearing her Penn State shirt to just to rub it in.

That is pure greatness...have her accessorize the PSU jersey with a Kelly Green undershirt and maybe an eagle face painted on her cheek and I think you're set.