Drc Blog Banks, Green Nt's Situation Heading For Smu

OldTimer

September 06, 2007

Banks, Green and UNT's situation heading to SMU

The North Texas fan you would most like to come to your rescue in a burning building -- FirefightinRick -- posed a pretty good question today.

What the heck happened to Ajani Banks?

Banks, a mountain of an offensive lineman, is still with the team. Unfortunately, he is one of a few players who have taken a freefall down the Mean Green's depth chart.

Banks is with the scout team and isn't on the travel roster for this weekend's game against SMU. UNT defensive back Dominique Green is another player in the same situation. Both could be impact players, but have dropped off the depth chart after not being at their best at the beginning of fall practice.

Needless to say, it's not good news for the Mean Green, which could really use some help at cornerback and offensive line.

UNT appeared as if it would be stronger at cornerback with Green, Latif Nurudeen, Antoine Bush and Evyn Roman this season. Nurudeen, Bush and Roman all struggled against OU. Nurudeen appears to have the most potential of the bunch, but was pulled early against the Sooners after making a few key mistakes. Don’t be surprised if freshman Kevin Ealey gets more of an opportunity this week.

Posted by Brett Vito at 9:06 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

September 06, 2007

The North Texas fan you would most like to come to your rescue in a burning building -- FirefightinRick -- posed a pretty good question today.

Banks, a mountain of an offensive lineman, is still with the team. Unfortunately, he is one of a few players who have taken a freefall down the Mean Green's depth chart.

Banks is with the scout team and isn't on the travel roster for this weekend's game against SMU. UNT defensive back Dominique Green is another player in the same situation. Both could be impact players, but have dropped off the depth chart after not being at their best at the beginning of fall practice.Needless to say, it's not good news for the Mean Green, which could really use some help at cornerback and offensive line.

UNT appeared as if it would be stronger at cornerback with Green, Latif Nurudeen, Antoine Bush and Evyn Roman this season. Nurudeen, Bush and Roman all struggled against OU. Nurudeen appears to have the most potential of the bunch, but was pulled early against the Sooners after making a few key mistakes. Don’t be surprised if freshman Kevin Ealey gets more of an opportunity this week.

That's great...just great. I know there are young offensive linemen who will eventually step up and play well, but what about the corner? Defense will make or break this team until the new offense starts to click. You wont find a nicer guy than Evan Roman, but fact is fact. ER at corner makes for a noticeable mis-match. SMU would be crazy not to exploite it. (since they will have looked at the OU game-film, you can bet they are already practicing the quick-outs and fly routes to ER's side) I'm not trying to pick on the kid... he has quickness that will be great on return teams. I just dont want us to get beat up by those SMU receivers. I'll never hear the end of it...

I think it's time to face reality and just say it... "Come back Woody!..we need ya!!! Yes, you're going to play defensive back, but have a good year and you could get drafted!!". Think of the NFL money you could make!!! (for the record, I dont know how DB's are rated, but this year a DB from BUFFALO went in the 6th round? ANYTHING is possible?)

Help us Woody, Help us!!!

GMG!!!

September 06, 2007

Banks is with the scout team and isn't on the travel roster for this weekend's game against SMU. UNT defensive back Dominique Green is another player in the same situation. Both could be impact players, but have dropped off the depth chart after not being at their best at the beginning of fall practice.

Needless to say, it's not good news for the Mean Green, which could really use some help at cornerback and offensive line.

Not being at their best? You mean they would have looked worse than any of the starters out there? I have a feeling that this is more about attitude, than a lack of ability....... or for a lack of staying in shape.

Not being at their best? You mean they would have looked worse than any of the starters out there? I have a feeling that this is more about attitude, than a lack of ability....... or for a lack of staying in shape.

We'll never know. The point is, those starters in Norman were our best option at the time. Let's hope for improvement, to say the least.

I'll admit it, if Mendoza comes out in Dallas with a cover 1 to start the game, that would give me a giggle.