Some Pictures From An Ou Site

dsc04733zn8.jpgdsc04727sg6.jpg

An OU fan has posted some pictures of Saturday's game. Our DBs are in man, but playing well off the line. Fine. Many places play 10 yards or so off. Below, they also appear to be playing off, but their linebackers/strong safety appear to be in better position for the impending pass. Although, our pass protection looks pretty good. Meager looks set to throw, but the receivers aren't in their breaks yet.

dsc04734kx1.jpg

Below, OU's very lonely quarterback and a very open middle of the field:

dsc04729ms5.jpg

I'm really just convinced that Mendoza/Dodge were going to run their defense come hell or high water. So be it. SMU won't have the speed of OU. Neither will anyone else we face this year. I'll only panic if SMU whips us. But, after watching them Monday, I'd say that would be a tall order for them. Their secondary is awful.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

thanks for posting

I think another one of the HUGE problems @ OU was the missed tackles. Oftentimes the WR's and RB's broke the big plays after our guys missed the tackle. Had they made the tackle, the drive totally changes. The absence of a safety or additional support from a LB really creates a disaster when the guy assigned to the OU player misses his tackle.

thanks for posting

I think another one of the HUGE problems @ OU was the missed tackles. Oftentimes the WR's and RB's broke the big plays after our guys missed the tackle. Had they made the tackle, the drive totally changes. The absence of a safety or additional support from a LB really creates a disaster when the guy assigned to the OU player misses his tackle.

SMU had the same problem with Tech's short passes.

To use one of my favorite phrases, it really might look like "a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob" out there on defense this weekend.

OU played us in a 4-2-5 most of the night. In that picture of us on offense, they are completely ready to shut down underneath routes. The corners are each in man, then they've got the strong safety and both linebackers inside our slot players.

Gosh we needed a score on that drive. We had just gotten a turnover deep in their territory.

OU played us in a 4-2-5 most of the night. In that picture of us on offense, they are completely ready to shut down underneath routes. The corners are each in man, then they've got the strong safety and both linebackers inside our slot players.

Gosh we needed a score on that drive. We had just gotten a turnover deep in their territory.

Judging by the 2nd pic, we're in base 4-3 running cover 1. You can't see the other safety but it's obvious there are 3 linebackers inside the box, one safety playing man on the slot, Hair Roman playing man on one receiver, & an unseen Nuradeen on the bottom receiver. This screams we're playing the run all the way. Could it be any easier for OU???

Why the hell were we NOT in some sort of nickel defense??? No nickel back to offset the extra WR???? OU is in an Ace three wide formation for christ sakes. :angry:

Edited by Got5onIt

That play looks to be the miss to Stickler over the middle post. Although I feel DM had plenty of time to throw a strike, two guys whiff on the OU left DT and he gets an arm up in DM's face, forcing an early release.. We had the right call there. Stickler would have walked into the endzone.

Rick

That play looks to be the miss to Stickler over the middle post. Although I feel DM had plenty of time to throw a strike, two guys whiff on the OU left DT and he gets an arm up in DM's face, forcing an early release.. We had the right call there. Stickler would have walked into the endzone.

Rick

Stickler, I think, was the one that almost had the touchdown in the north end zone where we were sitting. He'd beaten his guy, but the throw was a bit too far to the sideline. Soon enough, Meager or Vizza will be able to "thread the needle" when that happens.

All in all, after seeing some pictures and video clips of the game, I'm more pleased. The first quarter sunk us when OU didn't run like we thought they would. When their two WRs got into open spaces on those chintzy little bubble screens, they just outran us.

We all agree that we'll speed nowhere near like OU has. So, here's to beating SMU tomorrow night!

Judging by the 2nd pic, we're in base 4-3 running cover 1. You can't see the other safety but it's obvious there are 3 linebackers inside the box, one safety playing man on the slot, Hair Roman playing man on one receiver, & an unseen Nuradeen on the bottom receiver. This screams we're playing the run all the way. Could it be any easier for OU???

Why the hell were we NOT in some sort of nickel defense??? No nickel back to offset the extra WR???? OU is in an Ace three wide formation for christ sakes. :angry:

Two reasons we aren't in nickel...

1. I'm not sure what point in the game these photos were taken but I don't think anyone expected OU to throw as much as they did.

2. The linebackers are the "strength" of our defense...who would we be running out as a nickel back? An extra corner in Bush or Roman that DeMarco Murray would just run over or an extra safety in Cotton who you're matching up with a wide out who can burn him anyway? In this play it seems the thought was Mo-Ho and B-Mo could cover Murray and Finley.

That said...you can't just play a cover 1 man all game...whether you're playing OU, SMU or Colleyville Heritage.