Notes For Smu

Dodge2007

http://www.meangreensports.com/pdf5/83496....;DB_OEM_ID=1800

Some worthless tidbits from the OU game:

Meager one short of his personal best for completions. Casey and Brandon lead Sun Belt in receptions in first week of play. Casey had career night on receptions and yardage.

Vizza ( they say its pronounced VEE-za) is the first ever UNT player EVER as a true freshman to throw a TD pass in his first game.

We had 21 players play in their first game ever at UNT with 15 being true or red shirt freshman (9 true freshman saw action).

SMU leads the series 27-4-1 but after SATURDAY, UNT will have 5 wins.

SMU will lose to its second straight Sun Belt foe in Arkansas State the following week. Bennett's ass is grass after this season.

Todd Ford, OC, is the 4th youngest coordinator in D-1 football.

Edited by Dodge2007

Vizza ( they say its pronounced VEE-za) is the first ever UNT player EVER as a true freshman to throw a TD pass in his first game.

Humm...I don't know about that stat. I'd have to research it but seems I recall a Scott Hall and/or a Scott Davis and maybe even a Mitch Maher throwing some TDs early their first year, not sure what game.

Humm...I don't know about that stat. I'd have to research it but seems I recall a Scott Hall and/or a Scott Davis and maybe even a Mitch Maher throwing some TDs early their first year, not sure what game.

Scott Hall was a redshirt, not a TRUE freshman. Pretty sure that Mitch was too. In any case, Wendall Mosley was the starting QB during Mitch's first year and it was several games into the season before he got much, if any, action.

Scott Hall was a redshirt, not a TRUE freshman. Pretty sure that Mitch was too. In any case, Wendall Mosley was the starting QB during Mitch's first year and it was several games into the season before he got much, if any, action.

WRONG!!!! on both accounts. Hall was a true freshman as was Mitch. Maher started the home opener against ACU with Wendal Mosely was the coverboy on the game program.

if nobody can definitively prove his statement about Vizza wrong, why waste the time posting? Or, if you want him to be wrong, why not take the time to look it up instead of speculatively arguing with him?

Not trying to say the statement on Vizza is incorrect. I just know for a fact that Scott Hall and Mitch Maher were true freshmen.

If you guys would actually READ the post it say "Vizza was the first true freshman ever to throw a TD in his FIRST GAME." Even a woman knows how to read and look up stats!!!!!

Quit showin' off and get me a beer.

I love you.

Scott Davis led us to a td against Oklahoma in his first game in '87, which was the first td OU had allowd at home in several quarters. I can't remember but it was a little bit of an interesting stat back then? I just can't remember if it was a passing or a running td?

Rick

I read that somewhere today, too. And it said just that: that he led us to a TD. That implies, he could have thrown it, run for it, or handed it off after a series he led. That's what I took from it, so I'm not so sure still if Davis scored himself in his first true fresh game?

Scott Davis led us to a td against Oklahoma in his first game in '87, which was the first td OU had allowd at home in several quarters. I can't remember but it was a little bit of an interesting stat back then? I just can't remember if it was a passing or a running td?

Rick

You made me go try and look it up. I found stats from the game, but no scoring summary. NT had 7 turnovers that game! NT scored 2 TDs but all I could find about scoring was a snipet of an article about one of the scores; you had to pay to see the rest of the article:

4.) EAGLES' TDS SHOW SOONERS AREN'T PERFECT

Author: Ivan Maisel The Dallas Morning News (DAL) + _____

Publish Date: September 6, 1987

Word Count: 498

Document ID: 0ED3CF5881ED0C28

"NORMAN, Okla. -- Deep down, no one associated with the Oklahoma defense expected a replay of last season, when the Sooners became the first team to lead the nation in scoring, total, running and passing defense. But to give up two touchdowns to a Division I-AA team left the defenders shaking their heads.

North Texas State's Darrin Collins' score from one yard out with 8:07 remaining in the first half was the first touchdown allowed by Oklahoma at home since the SMU...."