Motivation

StealthEagle84

Considering our first week...it isn't surprising we would get that sort of disrespect...but to lump Arkansas State in after they hung with UT all game is a bit cocky.

That said...we atleast found the end zone...and Tech isn't exactly a defensive juggernaut.

So yeah...F -U SMU...and for that matter C-USA too!

http://cfn.scout.com/2/675531.html

Read the SMU summary half way down the page. No respect. I'm not really sure if anyone noticed, but SMU lost by 40. Game on and F-SMU.

I do understand what you mean (and I certainly agree with F-SMU). But what respect has North Texas earned?

Why should anyone respect us today, four days after a 69-point loss and coming off two miserable seasons? Should they respect our growth, our potential, our coach's successful past, our new shade of green? True, we played OU on the road while SMU played Tech at home. So what? We need to drop this overly sensitive attitude that pervades sports today, an attitude that suggests if someone criticizes us then they must hate us, or if someone says something good about our opponent then they must be against us.

The unpleasant fact is that North Texas football has not earned respect in three years. You want to start earning respect? Fill Ford with green, fill Fouts with green, and start cracking skulls.

Sure wish I could be at the game but we just moved to Santa Fe, NM over the summer and won't be able to get back to Dallas yet. The move also explains part of my absence from the board for so long - not that many of you even know me or remember me. But just because we live in Lobos and Aggie land doesn't mean I'm not driving my mean green cooper pride around - the only sad part is I will now have to put ugly yellow tags on my car :( since NT plates are unavailable here. Just know I will be at the game in spirit!!!!! GO MEAN GREEN!!!

North Texas deserves no respect...yet. As I have mentioned previously CFN will never have much good to say about any Sun Belt team. Look at the rankings for all SB teams. When Troy hung with the big dawgs last year or ArkState hung with Texas it's because of some fluke. I can write an article about North Texas vs OU, do it in a positive way and still come up with the same answer. Wait for the preview of NT and SMU......you can guess. They will predict a 20 point game and if SMU gets the win by 1 point they will still count that as being right on. Giving CFN any credit is like never playing the game. If they ever rank NT in the top 50..I will still not respect them. :ban:

Well, we're getting mention all over the place. Talking about various coaches' embarassing moments, Dennis Dodd writes

North Texas' Todd Dodge thought he could transfer his high school success -- 48 straight wins at Southlake (Texas) Carroll -- to college. His Mean Green fell only 69 points short of Oklahoma in Dodge's debut.
That's a pretty goofy statement if you ask me.

Link to story

After last week, what did you expect from the national media?

My thoughts are that we will beat SMU by at least 4 and Arkansas State will also beat them.

I didn't realize just how close ASU was to knocking of UT saturday until yesturday when Corby on the Ticket, mentioned that ASU had the ball inside the UT 20 (4) times and came away with nothing. Heck if they get 3 of 4 field goals in those situations they beat them. UT could be in trouble this weekend.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I didn't realize just how close ASU was to knocking of UT saturday until yesturday when Corby on the Ticket, mentioned that ASU had the ball inside the UT 20 (4) times and came away with nothing. Heck if they get 3 of 4 field goals in those situations they beat them. UT could be in trouble this weekend.

If I were a betting man, I'd have the privates over the publics this weekend. This is not to say I don't think Dodge will get this team to where it needs to be, it just means giving up 49 points and 400 yards of offense in one HALF doesnt get turned around in ONE WEEK.

That being said, I'll be at the game, ready to rock.

I do understand what you mean (and I certainly agree with F-SMU). But what respect has North Texas earned?

Why should anyone respect us today, four days after a 69-point loss and coming off two miserable seasons? Should they respect our growth, our potential, our coach's successful past, our new shade of green? True, we played OU on the road while SMU played Tech at home. So what? We need to drop this overly sensitive attitude that pervades sports today, an attitude that suggests if someone criticizes us then they must hate us, or if someone says something good about our opponent then they must be against us.

The unpleasant fact is that North Texas football has not earned respect in three years. You want to start earning respect? Fill Ford with green, fill Fouts with green, and start cracking skulls.

...and there is Smitty with the always rational and well thought out response. Right on my friend, great post!

Guys, relax. We'll get the respect we want once it is earned. Despite a thrumping on the scoreboard Saturday, I am still a firm believer in what this system can do for our program.

I agree that we don't really deserve much respect right now. However, to call this game a "tune up game" is disrespectful. Both teams had a horrible showing in week one and both MUST win this weekend to spark the remainder of the year. If SMU loses, Bennett will catch a ton of heat and Dodge needs this win to set the tone for the rest of the season. I also fully understand that UNT is two to three years away from competing again like we did around the 2003 and 2004 seasons. Dodge needs some time for the youngsters to grow up. Look how much youth we have on the offensive side of the ball. Plus, we need some time for the new offensive scheme to settle in. Just wait on it. Good things will come.