Leadership Importance: Laura Miller Was Anti-athletics So..........

PlummMeanGreen

I think it is a given that anyone associated with UNT athletics including most all in our athletic department know the short term and long term importance of a new football stadium at the Mean Green Village. Quite frankly, if we are going to remain competitive as a D1-A school in our own state of Texas it is imperative that we prove it with a new stadium (among dozens of other reasons we know we need a new stadium). For those who have sat in Fouts Field for a few decades and have visited other newer D1-A football venues, we know it is imperative to have this new football stadium at the Mean Green Village (no matter what the time-table).

Dallas' ex mayor Laura Miller did not have a passion for athletics and what it could do for Big D, and so we (basically) now have the Arlington Cowboys who will play in the best sports venue in the world (until some other city tops it). Ex Mayor Miller could have led the way to improve a very important part of the city of Dallas and that being Fair Park where the State Fair of Texas is annually held. What a statement she could have made to Dallasites as well as Texans who visit the State Fair. Well............she seemed more interested in other things and what those were I guess we'll someday read about them in her autobiography. :(:)

Does UNT upper echelon leadership have a passion for what athletics can do for a school like UNT? If they don't, folks, then we are going to have to be patient for a new stadium (or for new leadership).

It just galls me that as much money there is out there for even a utility baseball player ($40 million), that our upper echelon leadership at UNT don't seem to know where the resources are to find similar monies to get our new stadium jump-started. By the time we start construction on a new stadium, we may need $70-80 million to build what we really need to have to be in NCAA D1-A and to accomodate all the new fans and faces that will gravitate to such a new stadium in Denton.

And pleeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............for those who want to project our future based on all our yesterdays and the present, please go out and buy one of those "How To Build For A Future Filled With Growth For Dummies" :rolleyes: books (you know, those with a yellow cover and the black lettering) on why you build larger to accomodate expected dramataic population increases like is projected for Denton and our school's enrollment. (As complex as things in today's world can be, to build larger to accomodate future growth seems quite elementary and a no-brainer).

I hear you on Ms Miller, however, she was anti subsidizing Millionaires/Billionaires for any project within the city. She also only had 1 vote to take the measure to the voters. The majority of the council supported a stadium at Fair Park or the area SE of Downtown. Jerry and his marketing firm, Allyum Group, used the city of Dallas to cut a deal with any other city that stepped up first.

Arlington residents pays for it, Dallas and others in the region benefit. Win Win!

I hear you on Ms Miller, however, she was anti subsidizing Millionaires/Billionaires for any project within the city. She also only had 1 vote to take the measure to the voters. The majority of the council supported a stadium at Fair Park or the area SE of Downtown. Jerry and his marketing firm, Allyum Group, used the city of Dallas to cut a deal with any other city that stepped up first.

Arlington residents pays for it, Dallas and others in the region benefit. Win Win!

Granted, it is a win-win scenario in many ways, Cooley. I had more in mind the neighborhood improvements in the general Fair Park area that the Dallas Cowboy investment could have played a significant part. It is an area that needs a dramatic make-over and I think most would agree with that part.

I suppose the thread is more about how high on the priority list is our new stadium starting at the top in the Chancellor's office, that's all; and what are our upper echelon leaders doing to promote this venture? Surely they cannot expect Rick V to do all this w/o their own "rolling up of the sleeves" pro-active support, right?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think it is a given that anyone associated with UNT athletics including most all in our athletic department know the short term and long term importance of a new football stadium at the Mean Green Village. Quite frankly, if we are going to remain competitive as a D1-A school in our own state of Texas it is imperative that we prove it with a new stadium (among dozens of other reasons we know we need a new stadium). For those who have sat in Fouts Field for a few decades and have visited other newer D1-A football venues, we know it is imperative to have this new football stadium at the Mean Green Village (no matter what the time-table).

Dallas' ex mayor Laura Miller did not have a passion for athletics and what it could do for Big D, and so we (basically) now have the Arlington Cowboys who will play in the best sports venue in the world (until some other city tops it). Ex Mayor Miller could have led the way to improve a very important part of the city of Dallas and that being Fair Park where the State Fair of Texas is annually held. What a statement she could have made to Dallasites as well as Texans who visit the State Fair. Well............she seemed more interested in other things and what those were I guess we'll someday read about them in her autobiography. :(:)

Does UNT upper echelon leadership have a passion for what athletics can do for a school like UNT? If they don't, folks, then we are going to have to be patient for a new stadium (or for new leadership).

It just galls me that as much money there is out there for even a utility baseball player ($40 million), that our upper echelon leadership at UNT don't seem to know where the resources are to find similar monies to get our new stadium jump-started. By the time we start construction on a new stadium, we may need $70-80 million to build what we really need to have to be in NCAA D1-A and to accomodate all the new fans and faces that will gravitate to such a new stadium in Denton.

And pleeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............for those who want to project our future based on all our yesterdays and the present, please go out and buy one of those "How To Build For A Future Filled With Growth For Dummies" :rolleyes: books (you know, those with a yellow cover and the black lettering) on why you build larger to accomodate expected dramataic population increases like is projected for Denton and our school's enrollment. (As complex as things in today's world can be, to build larger to accomodate future growth seems quite elementary and a no-brainer).

Good Lord Plumm! We have a new President that is, to me, very clear in her feelings towards athletics and what it can do for NT. I think RV finally feels that he can do what needs to be done, and Dodge mentioned on ESPN radio that he was looking forward to a new stadium in 2010. Let's see what happens before we start comparing ourselves to Laura Miller and the idiots in Dallas!

I know it's not popular, but again I ask: show me the economic study that says paying for a multi-millionaire's stadium makes good fiscal sense, because I've never heard of one. I've seen some that show that subsidizing a stadium to attract or retain a professional sports franchise does not help per capita income in the city, but never anything that suggests that it makes economic sense to pay for a pro team's mega stadium.

JUST LOOK AT THE DEVEOPMENT AND REAL ESTATE TAXES AROUND AA CENTER

Development yes however the city gave away a ton in taxes for that. Those taxes pay for police and firefighters to patrol etc. Of course without new tax dollars they can't hire more cops or firefighters but do you think Victory will go un-patroled? Of course not it will be the lower economic areas that will suffer the shortage and crime will rise and people will scream about Dallas having the highest crime rate in the country as they drink there $8 beer at AAC.

The city also signed a deal with the AA developers that they would not allow another 6K - 50K seat venue be built in Dallas for the next 50 years which means any new "stadium", live music venue, gymnasium etc that could be built and spawn more development and real estate taxes elsewhere in the city can't. BTW - Mayor Miller voted against that as well.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I view Laura Miller as being anti-athletic too, but I'm not sure of the amount of influence that she had over the city council. They did approve the American Airlines Center over her numerous vocal protests. It may have been Jerry Jones bullying tactics that turned the Dallas City Council off as much as anything.

Jim, you can't be serious about the UNT leadership not being for a new stadium, can you?

I'm not too sure as to whom that was aimed but I'll immediately eliminate Dr. Bataille. I asked her that question when I first met her and received nothing but positive answers. She gives strong vocal support for the project and her enthusiasm is contagious. Obviously, it's not Rick Villareal who has hired two people whose job is solely to try to raise funds for athletics. We also know that it's not Todd Dodge (or any of the other coaches for that matter). I don't think that it's the Board of Regents. I haven't heard of any opposition to a stadium as long as it is done properly. I believe that regent Dan Smith has even done a little soliciting of his own.

So, if you have concern, it must be due to our beloved chancellor, Lee Jackson. I've also talked to him on a couple of occasions about UNT athletics and, while he's not as vocal as Dr. Bataille, is none the less supportive. He attends all of our home football games and I've seen him at basketball games as well. Lee Jackson was hired as chancellor for two basic reasons: he knew the inner workings of obtaining state funds for projects and he had the contacts to make our law school happen. It also appears that he has been handed UNTD as his baby also. All of those projects involve primarily state funding. He doesn't have the time to micromanage North Texas athletics.

While it's great to be concerned about the progress of our stadium, I don't think that we can fault our leaders for the slow progress. After all, we are an institution of higher learning and our first concern should be academics.

I view Laura Miller as being anti-athletic too, but I'm not sure of the amount of influence that she had over the city council. They did approve the American Airlines Center over her numerous vocal protests. It may have been Jerry Jones bullying tactics that turned the Dallas City Council off as much as anything.

Jim, you can't be serious about the UNT leadership not being for a new stadium, can you?

I'm not too sure as to whom that was aimed but I'll immediately eliminate Dr. Bataille. I asked her that question when I first met her and received nothing but positive answers. She gives strong vocal support for the project and her enthusiasm is contagious. Obviously, it's not Rick Villareal who has hired two people whose job is solely to try to raise funds for athletics. We also know that it's not Todd Dodge (or any of the other coaches for that matter). I don't think that it's the Board of Regents. I haven't heard of any opposition to a stadium as long as it is done properly. I believe that regent Dan Smith has even done a little soliciting of his own.

So, if you have concern, it must be due to our beloved chancellor, Lee Jackson. I've also talked to him on a couple of occasions about UNT athletics and, while he's not as vocal as Dr. Bataille, is none the less supportive. He attends all of our home football games and I've seen him at basketball games as well. Lee Jackson was hired as chancellor for two basic reasons: he knew the inner workings of obtaining state funds for projects and he had the contacts to make our law school happen. It also appears that he has been handed UNTD as his baby also. All of those projects involve primarily state funding. He doesn't have the time to micromanage North Texas athletics.

While it's great to be concerned about the progress of our stadium, I don't think that we can fault our leaders for the slow progress. After all, we are an institution of higher learning and our first concern should be academics.

Probably more curious about the man at the top of the UNT System with this, Jack. I could hardly question the rest you mentioned inasmuch that I agree with you that they are on board with our new stadium project most pro-actively. I think we'd all agree this project is going to need campus-wide support all the way.

Good News Department: A fellow alum called me today and said the DRC reports that our school endowment is closing in on $100 million (in the 90's right now). So for darn sure we will no longer be building a stadium that costs more than is in our endowment. Great job, UNT fund-raisers! :clapping:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And the stadium race continues, even in the NFL.

NFL notes: Jets-Giants unveil new stadium plans

The Associated Press

Article Last Updated: 09/06/2007 02:10:37 AM MDT

The New York Giants and New York Jets broke ground Wednesday on the first stadium to be jointly owned by two NFL teams and unveiled how architects plan to make two competitors feel at home in a $1.3 billion stadium.

The stadium will feature an eight-story mega display, called the ''Great Wall,'' with 400-foot-long by 40-foot-high panels featuring either team's logo or neutral colors for non-football events.

Jets-Giants Stadium

Edited by DeepGreen