Drc Debut Shows Dodge Has Plenty Of Work To Do

OldTimer

Football: Debut shows Dodge has plenty of work to do

11:53 PM CDT on Saturday, September 1, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

NORMAN, Okla. – Todd Dodge started his career at North Texas on Saturday in much the same way he began his tenure at Southlake Carroll.

Dodge can only hope the rest of his time with UNT develops along a similar path after Oklahoma hammered the Mean Green 79-10 at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

Dodge lost his first game at Southlake Carroll 35-14 to Wichita Falls exactly seven years ago, before going on to win four state titles and 79 of the 80 games he coached in his last five seasons with the Dragons.

Those times seemed like a distant memory in one of the most lopsided games UNT or Dodge has ever been involved in. The experience wasn’t what Dodge had hoped for in his return to the college game after his successful stint at Carroll, but it is one he expects the Mean Green to learn from.

“It’s obviously not the way you would envision it,” Dodge said. “It’s hard to stomach when you are a competitor, but I think I am going to see on video that we played real hard but not real well. We have to learn from it. I told them that we would expect to win every game and we will have the same expectation next week.”

Dodge knew before he came to UNT that he could have a tough time after taking over a team that went just 5-18 in its last two seasons under former head coach Darrell Dickey. Dodge changed the Mean Green’s offense from a run-based attack to a spread passing system that made Dodge’s Carroll teams a high school powerhouse.

UNT used a pair of quarterback in junior Daniel Meager and freshman Giovanni Vizza against the Sooners. Vizza had his moments, leading the Mean Green on a pair of scoring drives and throwing a 69-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Casey Fitgerald, but also threw a pair of interceptions.

Meager didn’t fare much better before being benched, throwing for 108 yards. UNT never scored with Meager on the field. Dodge said after the game that Meager will be his starter next week despite those struggles.

Dodge and his players maintained after the game that they expect to adapt quickly to the new offense.

“I don’t think it will take a long time,” Meager said. “Coach Dodge has told us that it can happen now.”

Dodge said before the season that he expected his defense to be the strength of his team, but that didn’t turn out to be the case against the Sooners. UNT allowed more points than it has ever give up in a game in school history, surpassing the 76 points it allowed in a loss to Nebraska in 1993.

The outcome certainly wasn’t what Dodge expected in his first game back at UNT. Dodge spent the 1992-93 seasons as the Mean Green’s passing game coordinator before leaving to become a high school coach.

Dodge talked about UNT’s potential to develop into the Dallas-area’s top team after returning to UNT.

The first step toward that goal turned out to be tougher than expected for the Mean Green and its new head coach.

“The journey is on,” Dodge said. “Myself, my coaches and my players have to make sure we don’t knee jerk in the face of adversity.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Football: Debut shows Dodge has plenty of work to do

11:53 PM CDT on Saturday, September 1, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

NORMAN, Okla. – Todd Dodge started his career at North Texas on Saturday in much the same way he began his tenure at Southlake Carroll.

Dodge can only hope the rest of his time with UNT develops along a similar path after Oklahoma hammered the Mean Green 79-10 at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

Dodge lost his first game at Southlake Carroll 35-14 to Wichita Falls exactly seven years ago, before going on to win four state titles and 79 of the 80 games he coached in his last five seasons with the Dragons.

Those times seemed like a distant memory in one of the most lopsided games UNT or Dodge has ever been involved in. The experience wasn’t what Dodge had hoped for in his return to the college game after his successful stint at Carroll, but it is one he expects the Mean Green to learn from.

“It’s obviously not the way you would envision it,” Dodge said. “It’s hard to stomach when you are a competitor, but I think I am going to see on video that we played real hard but not real well. We have to learn from it. I told them that we would expect to win every game and we will have the same expectation next week.”

Dodge knew before he came to UNT that he could have a tough time after taking over a team that went just 5-18 in its last two seasons under former head coach Darrell Dickey. Dodge changed the Mean Green’s offense from a run-based attack to a spread passing system that made Dodge’s Carroll teams a high school powerhouse.

UNT used a pair of quarterback in junior Daniel Meager and freshman Giovanni Vizza against the Sooners. Vizza had his moments, leading the Mean Green on a pair of scoring drives and throwing a 69-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Casey Fitgerald, but also threw a pair of interceptions.

Meager didn’t fare much better before being benched, throwing for 108 yards. UNT never scored with Meager on the field. Dodge said after the game that Meager will be his starter next week despite those struggles.

Dodge and his players maintained after the game that they expect to adapt quickly to the new offense.

“I don’t think it will take a long time,” Meager said. “Coach Dodge has told us that it can happen now.”

Dodge said before the season that he expected his defense to be the strength of his team, but that didn’t turn out to be the case against the Sooners. UNT allowed more points than it has ever give up in a game in school history, surpassing the 76 points it allowed in a loss to Nebraska in 1993.

The outcome certainly wasn’t what Dodge expected in his first game back at UNT. Dodge spent the 1992-93 seasons as the Mean Green’s passing game coordinator before leaving to become a high school coach.

Dodge talked about UNT’s potential to develop into the Dallas-area’s top team after returning to UNT.

The first step toward that goal turned out to be tougher than expected for the Mean Green and its new head coach.

“The journey is on,” Dodge said. “Myself, my coaches and my players have to make sure we don’t knee jerk in the face of adversity.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

I'm sorry, but that is too easy! (“The journey is on,” Dodge said. “Myself, my coaches and my players have to make sure we don’t knee jerk in the face of adversity.”). Sure, I do not want them to "knee jerk", BUT I DO WANT THEM TO MAKE INTELLIGENT ADJUSTMENTS based upon the personnel they have, the team they are facing and the tempo of the game. I expected that of DD and was disappointed when it didn't appear and I now expect that of TD and his staff.

No, I don't expect miracles and fully anticipated this season being "tough", but I saw some things (like poor tackling, being out of position, failure to adjust) that I expect to be addressed. My hope, and belief, is that Todd Dodge has enough pride and competitiveness that he will not tolerate anything less.

I'm sorry, but that is too easy! (“The journey is on,” Dodge said. “Myself, my coaches and my players have to make sure we don’t knee jerk in the face of adversity.”). Sure, I do not want them to "knee jerk", BUT I DO WANT THEM TO MAKE INTELLIGENT ADJUSTMENTS based upon the personnel they have, the team they are facing and the tempo of the game. I expected that of DD and was disappointed when it didn't appear and I now expect that of TD and his staff.

No, I don't expect miracles and fully anticipated this season being "tough", but I saw some things (like poor tackling, being out of position, failure to adjust) that I expect to be addressed. My hope, and belief, is that Todd Dodge has enough pride and competitiveness that he will not tolerate anything less.

Don't complain too much. A DD team would've been just as bad only it would've been boring to watch on top of it. The score would've been anywhere from 49-0 to 63-0. Dickey would've run out the clock from the beginning of the game, not trying to score like Dodge did. Why don't we reserve judgement until after the SMU and FAU games.

You can scrape of the stench of bad coaching in 4 months time. Just cool down and enjoy the ride that Dodge will provide.

Don't complain too much. A DD team would've been just as bad only it would've been boring to watch on top of it. The score would've been anywhere from 49-0 to 63-0. Dickey would've run out the clock from the beginning of the game, not trying to score like Dodge did. Why don't we reserve judgement until after the SMU and FAU games.

I'm more than willing to grant them some time, but tolerance on the fundamentals, should be very limited with any coach. Again, I am very hopeful, but some areas should be addressed right away, no matter who is in charge of the team.

I'm more than willing to grant them some time, but tolerance on the fundamentals, should be very limited with any coach. Again, I am very hopeful, but some areas should be addressed right away, no matter who is in charge of the team.

Totally new offense and defense on top of the fact that DD taught a lot of these guys their "fundamentals" and we saw how well that worked out. DDs teams were worse at tackling and got a TON more pentalties than what you saw saturday night. Dodge is a perfectionist and expects nothing less from his players. You will see a totally different team by the end of this season and especially when Dodge gets all of his players in here.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz