Td May Have Understimated

Dodge2007

I think Dodge and Mendoza caught got a little bit on their defensive plan for OU. The only way we could have kept the game from getting completely out of hand so fast was to play cover 2 and cover 3 defenses. I do beleive they did not adjust well at all, (just being honest).

We could have had them kill the clock more by having them grind the ball on us instead of hitting every damn pass. Bradford may have been glanced just a few times. Bradford was throwing balls like he had no defense in front of him. His stats were outrageous because had easy throws all night long. Easy bubble screen passes for scores, etc.

I am now convinced that Dodge underestimated the composure of this freshman QB, and might have underestimated his toughness and ability to make plays at this level. OU will be the best Defense we'll see until next season's opener with LSU (and it might not be even then).

OL was better than I had hoped. OL still has a long way to go but they did have their moments. Fitzgerald is a stud, best player on the field by far.

J-MO might be gone which leaves us with a freshman starting. I think Vizza showed more heart the Jamario, running the ball and that should'nt even be close.

Would have liked to have seen the freshman WR's some but that is what SMU is for.

Mendoza better working on TACKLING. Our tackling was pitiful, you have to admit that.

High hopes for conference play. Dodge is a competitor and will have us ready for SMU.

I posted in another thread that I wouldn't worry about Medoza and the defense unless Sun Belt teams were running track meets through our secondary like OU did. It could well be that Mendoza told the guys, "Look, this is our defense, you take your licks and learn it."

With the speed difference and the experience OU had in the WRs and TEs they returned, I'm not sure any amount of in game tinkering would have made much of a difference.

The point, to me, in all of it, is that Mendoza, Dodge, and every coach now has game film to show the players what they mean when they're coaching. Practicing a new system against one another for spring and fall practices is one thing, doing it on game night is quite another.

No matter how much Dodge and his staff coached and encouraged the guys in the spring and fall, there really was no way to know if player really grapsed what to do. Well, now there's plenty of game film for the coaches to say, "Hey, when we said do this, this is what is looks like if you don't do it."

It's all a good, good in the long run...

...unless Sun Belt teams are doing the same thing to us late in October. Then would be the correct time to panic and bitch. Not now.

I posted in another thread that I wouldn't worry about Medoza and the defense unless Sun Belt teams were running track meets through our secondary like OU did. It could well be that Mendoza told the guys, "Look, this is our defense, you take your licks and learn it."

With the speed difference and the experience OU had in the WRs and TEs they returned, I'm not sure any amount of in game tinkering would have made much of a difference.

The point, to me, in all of it, is that Mendoza, Dodge, and every coach now has game film to show the players what they mean when they're coaching. Practicing a new system against one another for spring and fall practices is one thing, doing it on game night is quite another.

No matter how much Dodge and his staff coached and encouraged the guys in the spring and fall, there really was no way to know if player really grapsed what to do. Well, now there's plenty of game film for the coaches to say, "Hey, when we said do this, this is what is looks like if you don't do it."

It's all a good, good in the long run...

...unless Sun Belt teams are doing the same thing to us late in October. Then would be the correct time to panic and bitch. Not now.

Great post!