Painful Pity Quote From Bob Stoops

rcade

I know this will be shocking coming from me, but I don't think OU was trying to run up the score at all, they were just running their offense. By the fourth quarter they had at least their third string QB and RB out there. I think last night shows you just how little DD recruiting did the last two years he was here, coupled with the fact that the offense is completely different. That score didn't really shock me.

I didn't see much letting up myself. Looked more like "you want to play with us..here it is" I can't say I would do much differently. I would not play teams that don't agree to come to Denton at least once in a while. If UT, OK LSU, Ark etc won't come to Denton then we wait a few years til we can kick their ass then go back. I absolutely loved the Michigan loss or should I say the AS win :lol: . I hate to see the Top 10 teams playing D2 schools, looks bad to me.

I don't think it was running up the score, our turnovers gave them opportunity after opportunity. Our incompletions stopped the clock which gave them more time and more opportunities. TD did a great job by continuing to run our offence as opposed to tucking tail and runing up the gut every play to run out the clock. OU didn't really have a choice about running up the score, we just kept giving them the ball and giving them mre time. Besides i would rather they do this then take a knee on the two yardline with three minutes left like they did when they killed aTm a couple years ago.

Blitzing when the score is 77-10 is most definitely piling it on, however, the Def Coord. likely made this call.

Come on, you're b***hing about their 3rd Strong Defense blitzing and getting a sack?? Our OL and players should be embarassed to allow it.

OU could have and should have put 100+ on us. By the end of the game they were playing walk-ons and scout team members, what else do you want Stoops to do?

As usual, the newspaper only includes one sentence of a whole group of thoughts. Here was the entire answer to the question some newspaper idiot asked Stoops after the game:

“Well, we were telling our guys not to score, if they broke free we were telling them to take a knee or something. I got worried when Mossies Madu tore around the corner and looked like he was going to score. Their style of play didn't really help either. They got on the line and snapped the ball with 20 or so seconds left on the play clock. I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying that the style of play doesn't help either.”

Todd Dodge answering the same line of questioning:

"“I just talked to my team and I told them that obviously Oklahoma is a great football team and they are very, very impressive. When you play a great team like that you always have a chance of having a disappointment. I told my football team that you have to give credit where it's due, but part of the final score had to do with us not waving the white flag. We've got to continue executing to try to execute our offense late.”

You know, we can't be unhappy that Dodge is still throwing even when we're beaten. It's like when guys train by using wind parachutes or Mike Alstott pushing a Volkswagon around the parking lot in high school and college to get stronger. Okay, Dodge knew bad things could happen. An OU walk-on (Lamont Robinson) got beat for a 69 TD, then turned around and got an interception on the next series.

Big deal. The point is, SMU will not have the same size and speed as OU. Neither will anyone else in the Sun Belt. The mass we push will not always be as big as OU or Texas or Arkansas.

Stoops is right in what he said afterward, and so was Dodge. If a guy drops back to pass, in the end zone, and his team is behind 77-10, what do you expect? Are the OU coaches supposed to tell the third teamers who rarely see game time not to play hard? Like, "Hey, son, if the guy drops back to pass, just stand there and let the lineman knock you back."

Please.

Dodge did what he needed to do. SMU is probably more like OU's third teamers that were scrambling on the field for OU in fourth quarter. So, that Dodge kept working his game plan against them is, in my eyes, nothing but good. Plus, there can't possibly be any negative in Vizza getting as many snaps as possible.

Look at it this way...

On the bad plays Vizza made, would you rather it have been up at OU gaining experience, or would you rather it have been against SMU or FAU when he's pressed into action in a game we can win? Dodge keeping him in there, depsite the errors, is good. This kid made some errors that Dodge can show him on film and he can correct before SMU and the Sun Belt.

As for Stoops, there's only so much you can do when the team on the other end of a 63-3 score keeps throwing and running a hurry up offense. The guy who had the safety, Alan Davis, has been at OU for four years. He hadn't made a tackle since 2005, and had none last year because was moved to fullback - third team fullback to have enough guys on the scout team. So, Stoops and his staff are supposed to tell these guys who maybe have played in a handful of game in their career, some of them walk-ons and career scout teamers, to do nothing once they get on the field?

Newsflash, a defensive end's job is to rush the passer. I guarantee you Todd Dodge and Spencer Leftwich are not pulling aside the offensive lineman who got beat by OU's third string DE for a safety and letting him cry on their shoulders. I guarantee you they're not sitting the OL down and saying, "Oh, those bad Sooners should have stopped rushing the passer when we kept throwing."

I will guarantee that Dodge and Leftwich are sitting with them over game film and pointing out their mistakes and telling them how to avoid making the same mistake again.

Finally, don't be so sensitive. Many of you have spent the whole offseason building this whole thing up into something it can't be until the right athletes are recruited into it. You've got to be realistic. It doesn't matter what Dodge's high school record was. He was coaching and game planning against high school coaches and players. It's not that way anymore. There will be a stiff learning curve against the OUs and Arkansas' of the world.

It's no big deal. At least he's still making the players run the system until the end. He himself said it best, that we weren't out there "waving the white flag. We've got to continue executing to try to execute our offense late."

He's right. You all who confuse lack of perfect execution as OU running up the score are wrong. And, if Todd Dodge were standing in front of you, he'd say the same thing. Be thankful for his mindset, too. It will help this thing get off the ground sooner rather than later.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

As usual, the newspaper only includes one sentence of a whole group of thoughts. Here was the entire answer to the question some newspaper idiot asked Stoops after the game:

“Well, we were telling our guys not to score, if they broke free we were telling them to take a knee or something. I got worried when Mossies Madu tore around the corner and looked like he was going to score. Their style of play didn’t really help either. They got on the line and snapped the ball with 20 or so seconds left on the play clock. I’m not criticizing, I’m just saying that the style of play doesn’t help either.”

Todd Dodge answering the same line of questioning:

"“I just talked to my team and I told them that obviously Oklahoma is a great football team and they are very, very impressive. When you play a great team like that you always have a chance of having a disappointment. I told my football team that you have to give credit where it’s due, but part of the final score had to do with us not waving the white flag. We’ve got to continue executing to try to execute our offense late.”

Thanks for quotes. I am glad to TD be stand-up and say they never waved the flag and tucked their tails. Chalk up to a major lesson for the team and move to slaughter the ponies.

Scouring the Sooners website, the guy who got beat on the TD, then later picked off Vizza is a third year sophomore who had only played in one game his entire career. Before last night, the kid had no stats. No tackles, no assisted tackles, no interceptions...nothing.

Also, the guy is listed as a linebacker, not even as a defensive back, and they ran him out there to cover a wide receiver. So, what do you want? I suppose Stoops could have called the cheerleading squad over and put uniforms on them, but...what else?

So, please. Spare us the, "Stoops ran it up on us." Guys who had never been on the field were picking off passes and sacking our QB because we were still passing in fourth quarter behind 63-3.

Seriously. Who's fault is that?

There isn't even any fault to be assigned. To me, it's just game film stuff Dodge and the staff can use to help make the players involved better.

And remember, OU didn't even play their top two tailbacks. Alan Patrick was out injured and Chris Brown was suspended for the game. So, we faced guys #3, #4, and #5 on their depth chart....plus some scout teamers at the end. So, can we please...

... move on to SMU, please.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Scouring the Sooners website, the guy who got beat on the TD, then later picked off Vizza is a third year sophomore who had only played in one game his entire career. Before last night, the kid had no stats. No tackles, no assisted tackles, no interceptions...nothing.

Also, the guy is listed as a linebacker, not even as a defensive back, and they ran him out there to cover a wide receiver. So, what do you want? I suppose Stoops could have called the cheerleading squad over and put uniforms on them, but...what else?

So, please. Spare us the, "Stoops ran it up on us." Guys who had never been on the field were picking off passes and sacking our QB because we were still passing in fourth quarter behind 63-3.

Seriously. Who's fault is that?

There isn't even any fault to be assigned. To me, it's just game film stuff Dodge and the staff can use to help make the players involved better.

And remember, OU didn't even play their top two tailbacks. Alan Patrick was out injured and Chris Brown was suspended for the game. So, we faced guys #3, #4, and #5 on their depth chart....plus some scout teamers at the end. So, can we please...

... move on to SMU, please.

I agree with Lonnie Finch.

When don't have scout team players even close to this caliber of athlete. This was great preparation for future games. Dodge and Stoops woiuld have been doing each other a disservice by just qutting. Stoops didn't do anything over the top to inflate the score. Anyone who was at the game knows that they could've easily hung 100+ on us. They were running very vanilla plays towards the end of the game. If nobody stops you while you're running the football are you just supposed to sit down like Mike Tyson?

As for Stoops, there's only so much you can do when the team on the other end of a 63-3 score keeps throwing and running a hurry up offense. The guy who had the safety, Alan Davis, has been at OU for four years. He hadn't made a tackle since 2005, and had none last year because was moved to fullback - third team fullback to have enough guys on the scout team. So, Stoops and his staff are supposed to tell these guys who maybe have played in a handful of game in their career, some of them walk-ons and career scout teamers, to do nothing once they get on the field?

Too bad Alan didn't go to Notre Dame. He would have gotten a movie deal.