An Attempt At The Bottom Line On The 79-10 Loss

Smitty

What I find most disappointing is the context of this loss. It appears that the 69-point deficit was the biggest in the nation this weekend, and this debacle comes the same weekend that:

Appalachian State beat No. 5 Michigan

Arkansas State stayed within 8 points of Texas

Troy scored 26 at Arkansas and stayed within 20

Louisiana Lafayette stayed within 14 of Steve Spurier's South Carolina

Yes, there's been a ton of bitching and moaning on the board, and I think its safe to say North Texas will probably be on ESPN's bottom ten next week.

HOWEVER, reading everything being said, I sense that the support and optimism is still there (dazed, bruised, perhaps bleeding internally, but still there) and almost no one is jumping ship. I believe that the Mean Green Nation will turn out in force next week for SMU, will turn out in force for the home opener, and will continue to support the new regime. I've got my tickets and remain excited about the program.

It was, after all, just one game - one miserable, horrible, embarrassing game that I do not think will be the subject of a future wallpaper.

And, actually, it could have been worse. It could be argued that Middle Tennessee's weekend was worse. The Blue Raiders are thinking Sun Belt championship and a bowl game, but they got thumped by Florida Atlantic, 27-14 (it was 27-0 in the fourth quarter), and are already 0-1 in conference.