Football: O-line All New For Dodge

NT80

Football: O-line all new for Dodge

11:20 PM CDT on Monday, August 27, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

There will be nothing familiar about North Texas’ offensive line when it opens the season Saturday at Oklahoma.

UNT released its first depth chart of the season Monday that does not include the two offensive line starters who return from last season's team.

Sophomores Robert Peachey (right tackle), Kelvin Drake (center) and Tyler Bailey (left guard) are slated to join redshirt freshman Esteban Santiago (right guard) and Matt Menard (left tackle).

Chad Rose and Adam Venegas started at center and left guard, respectively, last season, but are expected to begin the year as backups.

Venegas moved to tackle in spring practice and could slide into UNT's starting lineup if Peachey is unable to recover from a hamstring injury in time for the Mean Green's game against the Sooners.

Peachey has not practiced in more than a week.

"Adam is one of our most experienced offensive linemen," UNT head coach Todd Dodge said. "He is very versatile. We have lined him up at center, guard and tackle. He has stepped in at right tackle like we knew he would. It's nice to have someone out there who has been in the fire. I feel confident that he will do very well."

Playing tackle is a familiar challenge for Venegas.

"When I first got here I played right tackle," Venegas said. "I didn't move to guard until later in my career. Playing tackle is nothing that I can't handle. I have learned a lot about playing there the last few weeks. It's a lot different. I just have to keep working at it."

Offensive line isn't the only place the Mean Green will use young players against the Sooners. Three of the eight players on UNT's first two-deep depth chart at wide receiver are freshmen.

Sam Dibrell and Breece Johnson are listed as backups at outside receiver, while B.J. Lewis is a backup at slot receiver.

UNT will also have a freshman backup running back in Micah Mosley, who beat out several other more experienced players, including junior-college transfer Cam Montgomery. Mosley will back up senior Jamario Thomas.

"He has gained a lot of trust for a freshman from our coaching staff," Dodge said of Mosley earlier in fall practice. "He is getting a lot of reps and has performed well. I have been very pleased with him."

UNT will have far more veteran players on a defense that Dodge has said will be the Mean Green's strength this season.

Seniors Maurice Holman, Brandon Monroe and Derek Mendoza will start at linebacker, while Jeremiah Chapman and Blake Burruss will open the season at defensive end. Montey Stevenson will start at one tackle spot with Isaac Thomas and Joseph Miller splitting time at the other.

UNT had several players battling for the starting cornerback spots before newcomer Latif Nurudeen and returning starter Antoine Bush won the starting jobs. Senior Gary Oubre and JUCO transfer Evyn Roman are listed as the Mean Green's backups.

Bush and Roman will also contribute on special teams. Bush is slated to return kicks, while Roman will return punts.

UNT also had three walk-ons competing for the starting kicking job that was eventually won by freshman Thomas Moreland.

Dodge: UNT healthy heading into season

Dodge said Monday that his team enters the week before its season opener against Oklahoma in good shape in terms of injuries.

Peachey has been battling a hamstring injury, but Dodge said he expects all of his players to practice today.

Drake, Bailey and Peachey all three were members of the"Green" team last year so they have a lot of experience coming in for us this year. At times most of us were wanting this to be THE starting group.

Rick

Interesting observation... Many members of this board, including myself, believed that the Green Team offensive line should start last season. Unfortunately for Dickey, he did not have the foresight, fortitude, or whatever to replace the starting offensive line for these guys. Apparently, Dodge saw what we all saw....

Edited by chrisfisher

I sure hope Peachy can recover soon. So, Adam Venagas will be the starting RT for zero-u.

I know he can handle the position. Tyler Bailey, came from Kentucky as a walk on. How did

he end up at North Texas? I am glad to see Santiago earn the RG position, along with Menard

earning the starting LT position. Drake, at center, what a "manster"!

The "Green Team" OL guys give much needed college game experience for a young OL.

One thing for sure, these young OL guys will be here for several more years, and I do

believe these guys are the making of one of the best OL's in NT history.

Mosley at # 2 RB, wow! I am courious about Cox, so I hope he is ok. Coaches are

very "confident" that he can handle the college game now. Good enough for me!

Montgomery-I watched his Jr college highlight videos- I thought for sure he would

be on the field at RB and WR. Very tallented player, so I wonder what is going on

with him? WR's- I am surprised that none of the new freshmen WR's earned a start,

but on the other side, I am glad to see these guys in the back-up positions, remember

Coach Dodge said the top 8 play, so maybe the term "back-up" means these guys are

starters playing a different role. Can't name all 8 as starters.

What I like the most about this offense, is there is depth at each position. Second, this

team is young. This season will make these guys better, gaining much needed experience.

I am already looking forward to the 2008 season-it will only get meaner and greener!