Brett's Blog On Area Top 100

NTPhiKap99

<H2 class=date-header>August 26, 2007</H2><H3 class=entry-header>UNT recruits ranked by Morning News</H3>North Texas was well represented when The Dallas Morning News' rankings of the top 100 college football recruits in the area came out today.

UNT has five players in the top 100 already committed: athlete Riley Dodge at 22, running back Lance Dunbar of Haltom at 63, offensive lineman Troy Franklin of Celina at 66, linebacker Derek Tomlin of Southlake Carroll at 81and athlete Willie Taylor of Dallas Hillcrest at 97.

It wasn't a big secret that UNT is doing well early, but the DMN list is just another indication of where the experts believe the Mean Green's recruits rank. UNT is listed as an option for several of the area's other top players who have yet to pick their college destination.

I found it pretty ironic that the list came out on the same day a Morning News story about Baylor's Joe Pawelek. None of the experts thought the linebacker would amount to much, but he has turned into a standout player for the Bears.

I site the recruiting rankings just like everyone else in the newspaper business, and personally I think those ratings are a pretty good gauge of how a school is faring each season. If you swim with the big fishes in terms of recruits, you tend to have a higher success rate in terms of players panning out.

The Morning News list is just another indication that the Mean Green is following that same line of thinking -- one that will pay off in the long run.

Posted by Brett Vito email.gif at 3:00 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

I know it's been said a million times, but it's so cool to see North Texas all over the Top 100 list. That hasn't happened in so long. I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't help it. It's such a change from the past.

I also have a question. Does anyone know who the highest Area Top 100 was that committed to NT? I see Riley at #22 was Booger or anyone else higher than that?

I know it's been said a million times, but it's so cool to see North Texas all over the Top 100 list. That hasn't happened in so long. I know I sound like a broken record, but I can't help it. It's such a change from the past.

I also have a question. Does anyone know who the highest Area Top 100 was that committed to NT? I see Riley at #22 was Booger or anyone else higher than that?

I'm not sure about the area list the only state recruit recently I know of higher than Riley was Jamario. But I can't find any lists online that go back prior to 2001 so I'm not sure about Booger or any of the other guys from the early bowl teams.