Drc Vitto Blog Aug 25 Fb News And Notes

OldTimer

August 25, 2007

Football news and notes

North Texas' scrimmage was closed to the media last night, but like a lot of other people out there I made a call or two and heard the same story as everyone else. UNT really struggled offensively in its dress rehearsal for its season opener at Oklahoma.

No players suffered major injuries in the workout that had UNT's starters and top reserves playing against a scout team.

I received a few questions today, so here goes with the daily mailbag ...

A mystery guest wanted to know how offensive linemen JJ Johnson and Matt Tomlinson have looked in practice. Both are expected to contribute down the line but are buried behind more experienced players at this point. Tomlinson has a chance to play because of all the injuries UNT has suffered on its offensive line, but I don't think either is ready. UNT would be better off red shirting both.

Josh also wanted to know about UNT's offensive line and specifically Chad Rose, who started at center the last two seasons. Rose will contribute this year, but I don't see him starting, especially with Kelvin Drake entrenched at center and Esteban Santiago looking particularly strong at guard.

More than a few people wrote in to ask about when and if freshman Giovanni Vizza will play this season now that Daniel Meager has been named the Mean Green's starter. Head coach Todd Dodge said he picked his starter and wouldn't rotate quarterbacks. I don't think we will see Vizza unless Meager really struggles in the first two games of the year and forces Dodge's hand.

A final question was submitted about linebackers Tobe Nwigwe, Craig Robertson and A.J. Penson. There is no doubt that Nwigwe will play and UNT's coaches really seem to like Robertson. I expect Robertson to be groomed to step in next season after UNT loses a load of experienced players. UNT is getting Penson ready to play, but I suspect that he will redshirt. I don't see any reason for Penson to burn a year with Maurice Holman, Brandon Monroe and Derek Mendoza entrenched as starters and several other capable backups waiting in the wings, including Nwigwe and Colt Mahan.

Posted by Brett Vito at 5:50 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)