Soc's J'mison Morgan

Cooley

No chance at all for the services of the son of UNT great Ronnie Morgan. Just an update on his recruitment.

August 24, 2007

Blue Zertuche

TexasHoops.com Recruiting Analyst

6'10" South Oak Cliff post, J'Mison Morgan has released his top seven schools that he will choose from in the fall. Morgan has become one, if not the top post player in the nation that is being pursued by some of the top programs in the country.

"My top seven are, LSU, Alabama, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Cincinnati, and Baylor," said Morgan. "They will all have a home visit first. Then I will see which ones I will visit officially. I have already been to LSU, Alabama, Kansas, and Baylor on unofficial visits." Morgan continues with what sets these seven programs apart from other offers which he has collected.

"All these schools have a place for me to play right away. It will also depend on how much of an impact I can make my first year in their program. I want a place where I will have a lot of minutes to play. These schools also have great fan support and I have built a relationship with the coaches." Even with the seven schools listed that are getting home visits, Morgan says that there are still a few schools that he is still considering, though they may be long shots.

"Texas and Connecticut are still there too. I am still considering them because they are great basketball programs." Morgan says that a decision will come in the early signing period. "There is no time to waste," said Morgan. "I will have a decision on November 2nd. I will have taken my visits by then and my senior year is very important to me."

Morgan and the rest of the Golden Bears will be hunting for their fourth 4A title in as many years. "I want no distractions for me or my teammates," explains Morgan. "We all just need to focus on the season." Summer coach Jazzy Hartwell, of the Urban DFW Elites that Morgan played for, says that Morgan is ready for the challenge of big-time basketball at the next level.

"Bobo [Morgan] proved to everyone that he is ready. He proved it this summer playing against the best competition around. All I have been hearing is how great he played and how dominant he is in the paint." Hartwell continues to say that Morgan has worked very hard and is in the best shape of his life, but wants him to focus on one thing.

"I want to make sure that he is going to keep his weight under control. Everyone knows how hard he has worked to slim down, but also keep it off and I feel that is the key component for him to be successful where ever he goes."

Texas Hoops Analysis: BOBO is a beast inside the paint, he is long and has the ability to be the most dominant player in the state and take over any game, he has great footwork and hands, finishes strong above the rim, gets himself into position to rebound, is a tremendous shot blocker, he runs the floor well for his size, has good post moves, is a good free-throw shooter, can back down his opponent for easy baskets and is a strong defender.

No chance at all for the services of the son of UNT great Ronnie Morgan. Just an update on his recruitment.

I keep seeing Baylor on top recruit's lists...and I believe its a matter of attitude...they don't feel any player is beyond their services...be nice to see the same approach here

August 24, 2007

Blue Zertuche

TexasHoops.com Recruiting Analyst

6'10" South Oak Cliff post, J'Mison Morgan has released his top seven schools that he will choose from in the fall. Morgan has become one, if not the top post player in the nation that is being pursued by some of the top programs in the country.

"My top seven are, LSU, Alabama, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Cincinnati, and Baylor," said Morgan. "They will all have a home visit first. Then I will see which ones I will visit officially. I have already been to LSU, Alabama, Kansas, and Baylor on unofficial visits." Morgan continues with what sets these seven programs apart from other offers which he has collected.

"All these schools have a place for me to play right away. It will also depend on how much of an impact I can make my first year in their program. I want a place where I will have a lot of minutes to play. These schools also have great fan support and I have built a relationship with the coaches." Even with the seven schools listed that are getting home visits, Morgan says that there are still a few schools that he is still considering, though they may be long shots.

"Texas and Connecticut are still there too. I am still considering them because they are great basketball programs." Morgan says that a decision will come in the early signing period. "There is no time to waste," said Morgan. "I will have a decision on November 2nd. I will have taken my visits by then and my senior year is very important to me."

Morgan and the rest of the Golden Bears will be hunting for their fourth 4A title in as many years. "I want no distractions for me or my teammates," explains Morgan. "We all just need to focus on the season." Summer coach Jazzy Hartwell, of the Urban DFW Elites that Morgan played for, says that Morgan is ready for the challenge of big-time basketball at the next level.

"Bobo [Morgan] proved to everyone that he is ready. He proved it this summer playing against the best competition around. All I have been hearing is how great he played and how dominant he is in the paint." Hartwell continues to say that Morgan has worked very hard and is in the best shape of his life, but wants him to focus on one thing.

"I want to make sure that he is going to keep his weight under control. Everyone knows how hard he has worked to slim down, but also keep it off and I feel that is the key component for him to be successful where ever he goes."

Texas Hoops Analysis: BOBO is a beast inside the paint, he is long and has the ability to be the most dominant player in the state and take over any game, he has great footwork and hands, finishes strong above the rim, gets himself into position to rebound, is a tremendous shot blocker, he runs the floor well for his size, has good post moves, is a good free-throw shooter, can back down his opponent for easy baskets and is a strong defender.

I've seen the majority of Bobo's games. The kid is figuring it out! The assessment below is from ESPN (Scout's Top 150) where Bobo is ranked #38 in the country. Anyway, this is the most accurate assessement of Bobo's game that I have seen.

Scouts Grade: 90

Position Rank: C #12

Considering: 1-Kansas , 2-Kentucky , 3-Alabama , 4-LSU , 5-UCLA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluation: Morgan has all the physical tools to be an impact center at the high major level. He has an impressive frame (extremely long arms), broad shoulders, and overall great length for the five spot. Despite his size he gets off of the floor remarkably quick and has excellent timing around the basket at both ends. He is a very good rebounder and possesses nice instincts around the basket. He is capable of running the floor, but is not very fluid in that area of his game. As with most "bigs" his defense is ahead of his offense. Morgan is one of the most prolific shot blockers in the country due to his long arms and quick reactions. Offensively, his post skills are raw and he needs to develop a go-to move other than a dunk. In addition, Morgan needs to utilize his impressive frame more effectively when posting up - he allows defenders to come around him too often to deflect entry passes. However, an area that he is quite good at despite his youth is his patience while posting up - he reads defenses very well and usually delivers a pin-point pass to an open teammate. Overall, despite his raw offensive game, Morgan will be recruited at the highest level and should have a very productive college career.

Notes: Louisville is also on his list...AAU Team: Urban DFW Elite

If we have no shot at him, then why the updates? I'd prefer to read on here about players that want to play for us.

I personally love the updates...but I obsess over basketball more than most. In Cooley's defense...aside from Bobo being the son(?, nephew?) of a former UNT ballplayer...IMO these are the type of kids we SHOULD be going after...ask Papa Todd if he thinks any DFW kid is beyond his reach and I promise you the answer is no. I think JJ has done a great job this year...Dez, Tristan, Adam, George and Josh (I'll reserve my opinion on the Hodges signing until I see him play) but there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much basketball talent in the DFW area that JJ rarely seems to target...let alone get interested in our program...atleast as freshmen. We lost a legit PF from Arlington this year to FAU (Brett Royster)...in the past: the Langford brothers out of North Crowley...the Bryan Hopkins (brother of Leonard) to F'ING SMU...Acie Law IV to a very bad A&M program...these are all local products who we should've been very highly competative in their recruiting. Now there's Morgan and Nolan Dennis...two players with UNT ties and yet the concensus seems to be they're out of our reach...and that frusterates the hell out of me. It only takes one or two of these kids to get our program to a Butler, Gonzaga or Wichita St. level.

Its all about attitude.

• Upvote 1

I couldn't agree with your comments more CBL.

On the other hand, it is obvious that Morgan has no interest in us and JJ isn't going after him for one reason or another, so why bother with the updates? Put his info on the Non-NT athletics page or something.

Lifer, because I don't think UNT has a chance at this kid doesn't mean that JJ is not recruiting him! You can't have it both ways, When a kid says that a coach or school didn't recruit him we all complain. Truth be told, the majority of stuff I read on here is not UNT related and/or is of no interest to me. It is not my place to bash them because I don't feel it is UNT related.

This kid is the son of one of our best centers of all time. He is also the #38 recruit in the country who resides less than 35 miles from Denton. JJ's best recruits have been kids that he signed on the rebound from larger programs.

I certainly don't wont to waste my time posting anything here if I don't feel someone appreciates it or might benefit from it. It is not basketball season! It is quiet on this side of the board. If you can't compliment me on the valuable information that I have shared in the past, don't bitch now. You need to be more respectful and mature and not read or comment on things you personally don't have an interest in. Because folks don't chime doesn't mean that they don't appreciate the information. This is not the first time you have taken shots at me but I would hope that it is the last.

We have board administrators that move a topics if THEY feel it inappropriate. Be more respectful and send them a private message with your complaint!

Not trying to piss you off Cooley, and I do appreciate the information you provide. I stated my feelings above not as a shot at you. Don't recall taking any shots at you in the past.

You need to be more respectful and mature and not read or comment on things you personally don't have an interest in.

What's disrespectful or immature about commenting about a kid's information that is not interested in playing at NT being posted on the NT Basketball message board?

Edited by UNTLifer

• 2 years later...

Did I miss something? Are these updates not from 2007?

Yes, along with speculation that we'd never have a shot at getting J'mison Morgan.

Now, it's three years later and he's in the best shape of his life. Although he played sparingly during two seasons at UCLA, you've got to believe that his game has improved significantly over his abilities in high school.

Yes, along with speculation that we'd never have a shot at getting J'mison Morgan.

Now, it's three years later and he's in the best shape of his life. Although he played sparingly during two seasons at UCLA, you've got to believe that his game has improved significantly over his abilities in high school.

Why do we have to believe that? I seen plenty of players make little or no improvement in their game during their college years. Not saying that's the case with J'mison, but I see very little evidence that would indicate he is a "star in waiting" either. I say the jury is still out on him and that he would be an big question mark at this point in time.

Why do we have to believe that? I seen plenty of players make little or no improvement in their game during their college years. Not saying that's the case with J'mison, but I see very little evidence that would indicate he is a "star in waiting" either. I say the jury is still out on him and that he would be an big question mark at this point in time.

PAC-10 transfers to UNT:

Keith Wooden - Freshman - 9.4mpg, 3.3ppg, 2.1rpg

Sophomore - 7.9mpg, 2.0ppg, 1.5rpg

George Odufuwa - Freshman - 4.8mpg, 0.7ppg, 0.8rpg

J'Mison Morgan - Freshman - 5.4mpg, 2.3ppg, 1.0rpg

Sophomore - 8.7mpg, 1.9ppg, 1.3rpg

I'd say the first two panned out pretty well...

Was Morgan over-hyped? Perhaps...but if he were to come here he would be an impact player in the SBC. If he even finds 75% of what was expected from him he'd be first team SBC by his senior year.

Given the choice I'd still prefer Babb...but if we do manipulate the scholarship situation we should be elated if we land Morgan as well.

I know, did no one notice UCLA in his top schools? Ya'll are getting worked up over a 3 year old article.

First, great The Dude avatar.

J'mison committed to LSU before his high school senior season and signed his LOI in November that year. LSU granted his release from the LOI after coach John Brady was fired the following spring. Morgan's stock had continued to rise and Alabama, Kentucky, Kansas, and UCLA were the schools then competing for his commitment. UCLA already had the highest ranked signing class that year and J'mison went there expecting it to be the best venue.

First, great The Dude avatar.

J'mison committed to LSU before his high school senior season and signed his LOI in November that year. LSU granted his release from the LOI after coach John Brady was fired the following spring. Morgan's stock had continued to rise and Alabama, Kentucky, Kansas, and UCLA were the schools then competing for his commitment. UCLA already had the highest ranked signing class that year and J'mison went there expecting it to be the best venue.

Wonder if Brady is back in the hunt for Morgan?