Best Area College Hangouts

Eagle-96

http://www.star-telegram.com/629/story/211403.html

Where to Study

The hangout: Recycled Books, Records, CDs, 200 N. Locust St., Denton. 972-420-7574, www.recycledbooks.com

The hours: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. seven days a week.

The cost: Free to browse; books are reasonably priced.

The buzz: OK, this isn't the best place to bring a bag full of books and U.S. History to 1877 notes, but there are treasure troves of information crammed into every nook and cranny of Recycled Books. Your professor only tests on his lectures and you can't read your own handwriting? No problem; just stop by Recycled Books and buy your professor's out-of-print source material. The shop also has a large staff that can help you find that first-edition treatise on evolutionary biology you need to make an A.

Best time to go: The shop gets busier as the day goes on. Late afternoon is when most customers stop by.

Good to know: If you're just looking to browse, the shop also has a large collection of CDs and vinyl LPs. Recycled Books buys back books and music.

Where to eat

The hangout: Mr. Chopsticks,

1633 Scripture St., Denton. 940-382-5437, www.mrchopsticks.com

The hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday; 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday

The cost: Plates cost about $6-$7.

The buzz: Denton has plenty of great places to eat, but when it comes to freshness, Mr. Chopsticks puts 'em all to shame. Mr. Chopsticks isn't popular because of the upscale decor or urban feel. It's all about taste and value. Plates come loaded with fresh food for a price that every college student can love. And while fresh vegetables are a large part of what makes the 22-year-old Denton favorite so good, what puts Mr. Chopsticks on top are the homemade sauces, which can bought in the store.

Best time to go: Mr. Chopsticks is a great dinner spot. Feeling hungry? Head to Mr. Chopsticks from 5 to 6 p.m.

Good to know: If you're looking for something different, try the green onion pancakes with curry potato dip or chutney.

Where to Meet

The hangout: Hailey's, 122 W. Mulberry St., Denton. 940-323-1160, www.haileysclub.com

The hours: Doors open at 9 p.m. Showtimes vary.

The cost: Cover charge depends on the act.

The buzz: What has always set Denton apart from the rest of the Metroplex is the music scene, and Hailey's is just about the coolest place around for local, underground, indie and weird. Indie titans like Ben Kweller, the Hold Steady and Pinback forgo stops in Dallas and Fort Worth to play the little club on Mulberry, while the rest of the week is filled with local favorites such as electronic wizards Tree Wave and rockers like Mescalero. One thing's for sure: This ain't the Smirnoff Centre - it's an old-fashioned college-rock club, complete with sweat and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Best time to go: The more notable acts - like Pinback and Architecture in Helsinki - are fun, but nothing beats seeing smaller local acts before they get big.

Good to know: Some bands are bigger than others. Be prepared to wait in line.

Where to Study

The hangout: Recycled Books, Records, CDs, 200 N. Locust St., Denton. 972-420-7574, www.recycledbooks.com

The buzz: OK, this isn't the best place to bring a bag full of books and U.S. History to 1877 notes, but there are treasure troves of information crammed into every nook and cranny of Recycled Books. Your professor only tests on his lectures and you can't read your own handwriting? No problem; just stop by Recycled Books and buy your professor's out-of-print source material. The shop also has a large staff that can help you find that first-edition treatise on evolutionary biology you need to make an A.

Best time to go: The shop gets busier as the day goes on. Late afternoon is when most customers stop by.

Good to know: If you're just looking to browse, the shop also has a large collection of CDs and vinyl LPs. Recycled Books buys back books and music.

Where to eat

The buzz: Denton has plenty of great places to eat, but when it comes to freshness, Mr. Chopsticks puts 'em all to shame. Mr. Chopsticks isn't popular because of the upscale decor or urban feel. It's all about taste and value. Plates come loaded with fresh food for a price that every college student can love. And while fresh vegetables are a large part of what makes the 22-year-old Denton favorite so good, what puts Mr. Chopsticks on top are the homemade sauces, which can bought in the store.

Best time to go: Mr. Chopsticks is a great dinner spot. Feeling hungry? Head to Mr. Chopsticks from 5 to 6 p.m.

Good to know: If you're looking for something different, try the green onion pancakes with curry potato dip or chutney.

Where to Meet

The hangout: Hailey's, 122 W. Mulberry St., Denton. 940-323-1160, www.haileysclub.com

The buzz: What has always set Denton apart from the rest of the Metroplex is the music scene, and Hailey's is just about the coolest place around for local, underground, indie and weird. Indie titans like Ben Kweller, the Hold Steady and Pinback forgo stops in Dallas and Fort Worth to play the little club on Mulberry, while the rest of the week is filled with local favorites such as electronic wizards Tree Wave and rockers like Mescalero. One thing's for sure: This ain't the Smirnoff Centre - it's an old-fashioned college-rock club, complete with sweat and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Best time to go: The more notable acts - like Pinback and Architecture in Helsinki - are fun, but nothing beats seeing smaller local acts before they get big.

Mr. Chopsticks? Really? I'll give them that Recycled Books is an awesome store, but.... How did the writer come up with this?

Where to Study

Where to eat

Where to Meet

NT Ex and Pulitzer Prize winner Larry McMurtry has been a frequent visitor of one of the favorite spots of many, ie, Recycled Books, when he comes to Denton. He had a book store in Archer, Texas, but I think he closed it down to go live in Los Angeles for awhile.

I've purchased many of my own Texana collection of books from this superb book store located on the NE corner of the Denton Courthouse Square.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Mr. Chopsticks is kind of an icon...but a place that's catching up is the Uncommon Ground Sushi place and the sister shop on Loop 288. If you guys are in Denton and wanna try something interesting, check those places out, and if you don't like raw fish, they've got a good amount of cooked dishes, too.

Another good place is that Hooyah burrito place in Carriage Square.

Another good place is that Hooyah burrito place in Carriage Square.

It's true. I know I spent years waiting for a place that wasn't as good as Freebirds and made me crap my pants every time I ate 4 bites of anything on the menu to come along.

Edited by Quoner

IMHO, Chopsticks has the best chinese/viet/thai/philipino/japanese food on the planet. Cheap and wonderful...

It is also uniquely Denton because of the huge Vegatarian menu...(personally i must have meat)

I just wish the waiters would bathe...

Edited by Peacock

I spent my first 3 1/2 years of college rolling burritos at Hooya!! (no "h" and two "!") and if you know what to order it is 10 times better than Freebirds...fresher veggies...better meat...I fear the subsequent BM is simply the result of the mass quantities of food...and the lack of the afore mentioned BM after a trip to Freebirds really makes me concerned for the health of your colon, Quoner. That said...the cook bought the place 3 years ago...let most of us go (I took a UNT helmet that was on display once I found out I wouldn't be retaining employment)...so I can't speak to its current quality.

Chopsticks is greatness...one of the few places I almost always take food home b/c the servings are nuts...especially for the price.

My obsession, however, and where I had to have contributed a solid 1/3 of my student loans...New York Sub Way (Hub)...best sandwich in town...and I like sandwiches.

Recycled Books is awesome and I try to go by there when I'm in town....I remember when it was over by TWU.

that's how old I am.

My fav restaurant in Denton is Siam House in the Carriage Square. It's great Thai food. I hope it's still there,

it's been a few months since I've been there and I always worry it will close down before I can get back.

(It's just very small and independently owned).

I once made the mistake of eating at the Taco Caso across from Maple/Kerr Hall. I think that's the

sickest I've ever been. I'm not sure if it's still there. I saw one last week when I was visiting Kerrville,

and I started feeling slightly ill.....

RIP Tx Pickup and the club, The Library.....great college hang-outs in their time.