No More Orange Bowl

unt88

My take on this is that Miami first announced they didn't want to play North Texas because they wanted a "higher profile" team for their opening game in Dolphin Stadium. It's a fact that statement was issued by U of Miami personnel. North Texas officials were probably then contacted by Miami (or vice versa) to begin discussions of a buyout. Then Miami, full of arrogance and in true U of Miami fashion, tries to publicly turn the tables and make it look like we didn't want to play them anyway.

I emailed a reliable source and asked straight up, did Miami want out of the game or did UNT?

The response was "It was a little of both"

So I'm guessing we will get something out of the cancellation, but geez they sure beat us on the PR!

If their moving from the Orange Bowl after so many years is a big deal, and they're starting a new era at Dolphin Stadium, of course they want a big name team that would make headlines and TV. We're not it. Even if we go beyond anyone's expectations this season, we're not going to be Powerhouse A#1 that everyone is out to play. If we are year in and year out in the Top 25, then maybe. But ideally, they'll want someone like Florida or Florida State for an interstate-fill the seats game, or a Texas or USC for the rankings and big names.

When we open the new stadium in a few years, do we want to open it against Texas State or SFA, or against SMU, TCU, or another team closer to our level?

My take on this is that Miami first announced they didn't want to play North Texas because they wanted a "higher profile" team for their opening game in Dolphin Stadium. It's a fact that statement was issued by U of Miami personnel. North Texas officials were probably then contacted by Miami (or vice versa) to begin discussions of a buyout. Then Miami, full of arrogance and in true U of Miami fashion, tries to publicly turn the tables and make it look like we didn't want to play them anyway. We should issue a statement about how Miami was afraid of Dodgeball and the real possibility of losing to an SBC team in their opening game at Dolphin Stadium...and explain how that must be the reason why they didn't want to play us.

I truly hate those bastards. My hate list is: #1 OU; #2 A&M; #3 Miami; #4 Texas Tech; #5 SMU

Exactly. It was first announced that Miami "wanted" a higher-profile opponent for their first game in the newer stadium. Now they have shifted blame to us? :angry:

My take on this is that Miami first announced they didn't want to play North Texas because they wanted a "higher profile" team for their opening game in Dolphin Stadium. It's a fact that statement was issued by U of Miami personnel. North Texas officials were probably then contacted by Miami (or vice versa) to begin discussions of a buyout. Then Miami, full of arrogance and in true U of Miami fashion, tries to publicly turn the tables and make it look like we didn't want to play them anyway. We should issue a statement about how Miami was afraid of Dodgeball and the real possibility of losing to an SBC team in their opening game at Dolphin Stadium...and explain how that must be the reason why they didn't want to play us.

I truly hate those bastards. My hate list is: #1 OU; #2 A&M; #3 Miami; #4 Texas Tech; #5 SMU

So the general college football public would see our scheduling LSU instead of Miami as our way of getting out of playing the 'Canes for a, uh, creampuff? :blink:

....but wouldn't it be fun (at times) to be of such a high profile that would could get a bit condescending at times, too? :rolleyes: Oh, probably wouldn't be prudent for the many of us raised on humble pie.:P

GMG!

I don't like thsi simply because I would love to go the Hurricanes play in the OB and it would be even better if they played against my favorite team. I know it's wierd that Miami is probably my 2nd favorite D-I team but I was looking forward to the 08 opener anyways.