Acc To Buy Out Cusa For Nob?

Charlie NT 73

From www.GoTroytrojans.com, there is a posting regarding the ACC will

try to replace the CUSA tie-in team with a ACC team. Phil Steel's mag has

a reference for the NOB, with Troy vs Maryland.

Has anyone heard anything about this deal?

See "Mr Ho" posting. He is a character!

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7166

And if the ACC is successful buying out the CUSA bid, how long before the Sun Belt team gets pushed out?

That we do have to consider.

But we all want more exposure and this will mean better competition and more money for the Bowl. We think the Sun Belt can hang with the big boys here’s our chance to do it at the end of the season when it means something. If we can start beating BSC teams in December the country will take notice and if not we still get the increased revenue and added media coverage.

Another reason the SunBelt doesn't get much respect.

Nobody else was going to guarantee a yearly spot. It was a stroke of genius if you ask me. No one is going to care if the SBC runs the bowl if the SBC team wins. Heck, most of the people on this board probably didn't know it was the SBC's bowl, how is the general public going to find out? :ph34r:

NOB connection to Sun Belt is now different than what Big 12, CUSA, PAC 10 and other do with bowls so it is wrong to throw Su Belt under the bus by using a double standard. Like Cerebrus said it was a stroke of genius.

Look at Poinsetta Bowl, Aloha Bowl, Smurf Bowl, and San Francisco all exactly same with a couple of them geared towards only one school.

Nobody else was going to guarantee a yearly spot. It was a stroke of genius if you ask me. No one is going to care if the SBC runs the bowl if the SBC team wins. Heck, most of the people on this board probably didn't know it was the SBC's bowl, how is the general public going to find out? :ph34r:

Oh, I agree it was a great idea, the guaranteed Bowl spot. And I have greatly enjoyed all the ones NT was in, it would just be nice not to have to buy a date to the prom.

Another reason the SunBelt doesn't get much respect.

You're just making crap up now.

You do understand that the following bowls have been started and to some degree are run by other conferences or affiliated members.

Humanitarian

Hawaii

Poinsettia

New Mexico

Motor City

Las Vegas

The Cotton Bowl was started by the SWC. The Fiesta and Holiday by the old WAC.

The Music City Bowl has very close ties to the SEC. The Meinhke Car Care Bowl has very close ACC ties.

To say a conference doesn't get respect because it's leadership is closely tied to a bowl game the league is affiliated with bears no relation to truth.

Oh, I agree it was a great idea, the guaranteed Bowl spot. And I have greatly enjoyed all the ones NT was in, it would just be nice not to have to buy a date to the prom.

Wow.

Do you KNOW why we have fewer bowl ties than the MAC, WAC, CUSA, MWC?

Because we don't make enough basketball money to BUY our way in.

When Troy went to the Silcon Valley, they used Movie Gallery to buy their spot, the MAC had locked in earlier in the year at nearly double the price. The Mountain West gave up its slot in the Liberty because to get that coveted $1.3 million payoff they had to agree to purchase $750,000 in advertising from the bowl and purchase $400,000 in tickets and guarantee that their team would be in Memphis a minimum of five nights prior to the game. The MAC got into the GMAC bowl by agreeing to purchase $300,000 in tickets and spend something on the neighborhood of $250,000 in advertising from the game. To get into the Independence Bowl ONE TIME and get the $1.2 million payout the MAC purchased $850,000 in advertising from the I-Bowl and agreed to purchase $350,000 in tickets and spend four or five nights in Shreveport.

You're just making crap up now.

You do understand that the following bowls have been started and to some degree are run by other conferences or affiliated members.

Humanitarian

Hawaii

Poinsettia

New Mexico

Motor City

Las Vegas

The Cotton Bowl was started by the SWC. The Fiesta and Holiday by the old WAC.

The Music City Bowl has very close ties to the SEC. The Meinhke Car Care Bowl has very close ACC ties.

To say a conference doesn't get respect because it's leadership is closely tied to a bowl game the league is affiliated with bears no relation to truth.

The first six bowls you mention are also tied to non-BCS leagues like ours (no respect points there either); some have now changed to being run/paid by independent groups and they have since kicked out those non-BCS tie-ins (Las Vegas Bowl). Some of the older startups were in a way different era than today, apples to oranges. The point is the New Orleans Bowl wants us because they "have" to want us, and we are actually somewhat paying ourselves for the chance to play in it. If it was a total indepentently financed and sponsored Bowl wanting a connection to the Sun Belt then I would have no "respect" issues with it, but right now, CUSA is the only league in that game that was "asked" to be there, not us.

Las Vegas is still tied to the MWC because the game is in a MWC stadium.

Heck the Independence Bowl Big 12/SEC started with the Southland Conference.

If you look at the history of these deals, yeah its true that they often forget their roots.

Fiesta did but that was in large part because stadium owner at the time Arizona State moved from the WAC. The Humanitarian left the Big West because Boise left. The Las Vegas left the Big West because UNLV left and left the WAC because UNLV left. The Holiday got too big for their britches. The I-Bowl got too big for their britches. The Citrus Bowl got too big and booted the MAC.

I've got some fairly good contacts around the inter-collegiate athletic world. When UNLV left the Big West, Lafayette offered to start a game, but the Big West wanted to end the football only memberships so it ended up in Boise. When the Sun Belt started I had people who rarely ever get it wrong who told me there was no doubt that the new game would be at Cajun Field.

Why didn't it happen that way? Simple we had a commissioner who was paying attention. A school hosting a bowl game has an edge in realignment. Going to a neutral site left everyone on the same level surface. Second why would a conference invest heavily in the success of a bowl game paying the organizing committee thousands, millions if the deal lasts long enough to get a bowl built to a higher level and then watch as the locals get stars in their eyes and start dreaming of Pac-10 #7 vs. Big East #6 as the path to the "big-time". You may think its penny ante but I think it shows fiduciary responsibility to make sure you are on the inside and protect your investment.

We've got a sweet deal with New Orleans. Our contract only requires that we send A team. Doesn't have to be the champ. If someone is hot and the I-Bowl or Liberty is short, we are free to send the champ there as long as we send New Orleans a team and our investment is protected. In the cut-throat world of college athletics, that's just intelligent.

We've got a sweet deal with New Orleans. Our contract only requires that we send A team. Doesn't have to be the champ. If someone is hot and the I-Bowl or Liberty is short, we are free to send the champ there as long as we send New Orleans a team and our investment is protected. In the cut-throat world of college athletics, that's just intelligent.

Good point. The Bowls have evolved over time from merit-based to now more about pure entertainment, exposure for some smaller programs, and revenue for TV.

In 1977 and '78 NT was 10-1 and 9-2 with coach Hayden Fry. We were truly deserving of a Bowl invite, but there were only about 10 Bowls then and limited spots for at-large programs. We had scouts from the Liberty and I think Bluebonnet Bowls looking at us but our crowds were too small for their taste. We had no invites and Fry left for Iowa mentioning that as a factor. Those were much better teams than the 5-6 NT team that went to the 2001 New Orleans Bowl, but I'm very glad we had that opportunity.

In 1998, I believe it was, we were 3-8 but almost got the Big West's H-Bowl bid. We were 3-2 in conference and had the tie-breaker over the eventual Bowl rep. Had not they won a last second close game, NT would have gone Bowling at 3-8! I truly like merit-based Bowls, like Boise's invite last year against OU, but I wouldn't trade my trips to New Orleans for anything.

Good point. The Bowls have evolved over time from merit-based to now more about pure entertainment, exposure for some smaller programs, and revenue for TV.

In 1977 and '78 NT was 10-1 and 9-2 with coach Hayden Fry. We were truly deserving of a Bowl invite, but there were only about 10 Bowls then and limited spots for at-large programs. We had scouts from the Liberty and I think Bluebonnet Bowls looking at us but our crowds were too small for their taste. We had no invites and Fry left for Iowa mentioning that as a factor. Those were much better teams than the 5-6 NT team that went to the 2001 New Orleans Bowl, but I'm very glad we had that opportunity.

In 1998, I believe it was, we were 3-8 but almost got the Big West's H-Bowl bid. We were 3-2 in conference and had the tie-breaker over the eventual Bowl rep. Had not they won a last second close game, NT would have gone Bowling at 3-8! I truly like merit-based Bowls, like Boise's invite last year against OU, but I wouldn't trade my trips to New Orleans for anything.

1975 ASU was 11-0 and we were on the short list for the Tangerine (now Capital One) to face the MAC champion but they went with 7-4 South Carolina who had lost to Appalachian State.

1999 ASU was 4-7 and three plays from the Humanitarian. Lost to Idaho by 6 in OT after they had missed their PAT. QB was stopped a foot from the end zone. Got within 30 yards of the winning score against Utah State twice and came away empty. Win those two and we tie but lose the tiebreaker to Boise. Boise trailed Utah State 27-23 when they had what was described as broken play that resulted in a 77 yard TD.

The old system is dead.

ESPN is asking for even more bowl games, might as well give them to them and send every 7-5 or better team to post-season.