Football: Meager's The Man

NT80

Football: Meager's the man

Dodge names UNT's starting quarterback

11:28 PM CDT on Monday, August 20, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Daniel Meager completed perhaps the most unlikely chapter in the up-and-down saga of his pursuit of the starting quarterback job at North Texas on Monday. He is where few thought he would be a few months ago: on top of the depth chart yet again.

The junior, who struggled as a redshirt freshman starter and spent most of his sophomore season as a backup, won the job in what developed into a two-man battle with highly touted freshman Giovanni Vizza.

UNT head coach Todd Dodge announced his decision after the Mean Green's morning practice.

"They have both done some really nice things, but in the big picture this is what is best for our football team," Dodge said. "Daniel understands our offense the best right now. I have told him that we are turning the reins over to him and are going to have full faith in him as we go into the next two weeks and as we go into the season."

Dodge said he picked his starter for the entire season, not just UNT's season opener at Oklahoma on Sept. 1. Vizza will be the Mean Green's backup.

"Coming in every day knowing that I had to compete made me better," Meager said. "Giovanni pushed me a lot. We pushed each other."

UNT essentially started from scratch in a new offensive system in spring practice. The Mean Green played in a run-first system under former head coach Darrell Dickey before installing a spread attack under Dodge.

Dodge had three other quarterbacks in spring practice to work with, including two with starting experience in senior Woody Wilson and junior Matt Phillips. Nathan Tune was expected to compete for the job in his redshirt freshman season.

Meager had the best spring of the group and went into the fall as the projected starter.

The former Richardson Pearce standout fended off challenges from Phillips and Tune. When Wilson never joined the team in fall practice, Meager only had Vizza left to beat out.

Vizza turned out to be the toughest challenger Meager faced.

The former San Antonio Alamo Heights standout showed early on that he had the ability to compete for the starting job as a freshman.

"Being in the mix for the starting job has been a part of my thought process all along," Vizza said earlier this fall. "I didn't come in with the mindset that I was going to redshirt."

Meager credited his quick development in a new offensive system to Vizza and Dodge, who saw a change in his quarterback both on and off the field in the last few months.

"Daniel has worked his tail off in the spring and showed better leadership qualities over the summer," Dodge said.

Meager has been developing those qualities through what has been an up-and-down career that has seen him struggle to hold on to the starting job after being anointed the heir apparent to Scott Hall, the former UNT great who led the Mean Green to three Sun Belt Conference titles.

Meager threw for 941 yards and four touchdowns as a redshirt freshman in 11 games. He threw for 517 yards and four touchdowns last season in part-time duty.

Meager will have the chance to surpass those totals while knowing that he will be given every opportunity to succeed. UNT rotated quarterbacks last season and never found a rhythm offensively.

"Daniel Meager is our starter and we have full confidence in him," Dodge said. "It won't be a deal where we are sending someone out there to look over his shoulder. Daniel had a consistent last half of spring and a consistent two-a-days and has experience on the college level. We went through our process."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Meager by the numbers

The following is a look at junior quarterback Daniel Meager's career statistics:

G C-A-I Yards TDs

11 101-202-8 941 4

11 53-100-6 517 4

Career totals

22 154-302-14 1,458 8

Dodge names UNT's starting quarterback

UNT head coach Todd Dodge announced his decision after the Mean Green's morning practice.

My guess is that the reality of the public interest in this decision trumped TD's earlier intent to keep it under wraps until they got off the bus at OU.

Or maybe he was just heading off the inevitable leak.

Of course, "heading off a leak" sounds kind of inappropriate.

This was also on Channel 5' Sports tonight. When was the last time it was announced on the local evening news who was going to start at North Texas? Never!

Meager has been developing those qualities through what has been an up-and-down career that has seen him struggle to hold on to the starting job after being anointed the heir apparent to Scott Hall, the former UNT great who led the Mean Green to three Sun Belt Conference titles.

Not sure the fact that he was all we had returning in way of a somewhat exerienced QB can be considered as "the heir apparant"? He was thrown to the wolves due to some horrible decisions on DD's part even though in reality, he was still rehabing the shoulder that kept him out of spring ball that year.

But with Scott Hall in mind(playing a full season with a torn knee, coming back from a torn peck in '02, losing a brother and a teammate in one year), there may never have been a second QB that has demonstrated more intestinal fortitude to overcome so many setbacks and obstacles to play here? Fact is, there really isn't anything OU, SMU, Arkansas or the Belt can throw at the guy that he hasn't already seen or been through.

With DM, It's All Good, and All Green!

Rick

Dodge said he picked his starter for the entire season, not just UNT's season opener at Oklahoma on Sept. 1. Vizza will be the Mean Green's backup.

Surprised???

This isn't what many board members, including myself, initially believed.

I really though Vizza would take the reins right around conference time.

Here is an HSO...If we don't see Vizza this season, we may never see him.

Surprised???

I'm not sure of that. Vizza brings a lot to the table. I don't see him quitting because, wisely, TD made the decision not to start a true freshman.

If that happens, then all I can say is there are many more QB prospects out there, who are just as talented, that are more than willing to wait their turn to play for TD.

"Daniel Meager is our starter and we have full confidence in him," Dodge said.

To me, this is the best part of the article. When was the last time that any of us heard such a statement from the Head Coach. ;)

This is only going to get better folks.

Edited by SilverEagle

Time will tell.

Possible. Hope you're wrong there.

Surprised???

I was thinking the same thing, Matt. Riley Dodge gets here next year, and Meager will enterring his senior season. So Vizza doesnt play this year, which makes the odds that he beats out Meager (Senior in 08) very slim. I'm glad Danny gets his shot... he's earned it. However, I dont see Vizza sitting the bench for two years here when he could be starting somewhere else? It sure is great to have a back-up with Giovanni's skills, but he said it himself. He didnt come here to be a backup, and Vizza is just too talented to sit for that long. I think we see Danny Meager for the next two years and then we get the Riley Dodge show.

Just an opinion... fire away.

GMG!!!

I was thinking the same thing, Matt. Riley Dodge gets here next year, and Meager will enterring his senior season. So Vizza doesnt play this year, which makes the odds that he beats out Meager (Senior in 08) very slim. I'm glad Danny gets his shot... he's earned it. However, I dont see Vizza sitting the bench for two years here when he could be starting somewhere else? It sure is great to have a back-up with Giovanni's skills, but he said it himself. He didnt come here to be a backup, and Vizza is just too talented to sit for that long. I think we see Danny Meager for the next two years and then we get the Riley Dodge show.

GMG!!!

Dodge is actually getting to Denton in January, after early graduation.

[

I dont think this is saying that if Meager is awful, Papa Todd will stick with him...to me this is saying that Meager won't have to worry about competing for his job from series to series like last season.

I'm afraid of this too. I agree that if we do lose Vizza...there are other QBs. I felt that if after 2 weeks there was this much compitition between a 4th year junior and a true freshman...that Vizza would continue to develop and by midway through the year, chances are good he'd be at a level well beyond Meager. Now, if Meager is even mediocre...Vizza rarely sees the field...and Meager has the inside track to start in 08...then add Riley to the mix in 09...Vizza may choose to go somewhere he feels he has a better shot of playing. Its not Vizza quiting...just a victim of circumstance, like Jevan Sneed.

GMG!!!

I could see it go this way, but there are other things that could happen, like Gio start for two year, and Rodge for two years. At this point it will be hard to transfer.

This is all assuming that Meager stays healthy, and is able to execute TD's game plan in real games to TD's satisfaction. Plus I give better odds that Vizza would have a shot at the starting job next year, just from the ground he has made up just his sumer. By next year there might not be any comaprision between Meager and Vizza.

"Dodge said he picked his starter for the entire season, not just UNT's season opener at Oklahoma on Sept. 1. Vizza will be the Mean Green's backup."

Well, like they say, "Never say never". I see this statement like the the one about keeping the decision a secret until the OU game; sometimes reality of the situation makes us change our minds. Dodge previously said the QB would play as long as he was effective or something to that effect. I hope Meager does well, but Vizza will be there pushing him, like Hall did when he was a freshman before he started a few games into the season.

GMG!!!

Some here predicted that GV would redshirt this year. Seems unlikely now. I've thought it was unlikely all along, even if he didn't start. It doesn't take much playing time as a backup to screw up a year of eligibility.

I interpret GV's comment about not coming here to play backup as healthy competitiveness, not outsized ego (although unlike some, I hesitate to psychoanalyze people I've never met).

I do know that it would have been unrealistic for a freshman who's never taken a snap in college ball to expect to walk in and demand the car keys. I don't get the impression that was what he was saying.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe Todge, on top of being able to understand the throws it takes to be a good QB, also understands how to manage the ego/confidence of one? Is it possible that:

-Todge gave DM the nod because to bench your junior in favor of a true frosh would potentially destroy your Junior?

-Todge further new that starting DM means you get to have your true frosh as your backup and, given that DM plays well and stays healthy, you might actually be able to declare your frosh's first year a redshirt one if he never sees the field?

-He HAS to say "our QB won't look over his shoulder" so that his QB goes out there with a clear head...but Todge knows he's got a fall-back plan and will pull the trigger if need be

I think this decision and the "coach speak" that surrounds it is just as much about managing young men as managing football games.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe Todge, on top of being able to understand the throws it takes to be a good QB, also understands how to manage the ego/confidence of one? Is it possible that:

-Todge gave DM the nod because to bench your junior in favor of a true frosh would potentially destroy your Junior?

-Todge further new that starting DM means you get to have your true frosh as your backup and, given that DM plays well and stays healthy, you might actually be able to declare your frosh's first year a redshirt one if he never sees the field?

-He HAS to say "our QB won't look over his shoulder" so that his QB goes out there with a clear head...but Todge knows he's got a fall-back plan and will pull the trigger if need be

I think this decision and the "coach speak" that surrounds it is just as much about managing young men as managing football games.

Well said. The wisdom of Emmitt shines in dark places.

Surprised???

Congratulations UNT fans, that means that we officially have a glut of talent (some of the top HS talent in Texas) at the most important position on the field.

Geez--are we ever to fickle--already looking into the future and guessing

again. There is alot of football to be played this year so lets see how this

year plays out. Vizza is a true freshman, with alot of talent. He has made

huge progress in Dodge Ball, and he is just one play away from taking

over a game or starting this year. As far as Vizza being on the bench, I

think Coach Dodge wants to develop this kid, and not throw him into

the fight too early. Get him into games at the right time.

When Riley arrives, I believe he will red shirt. This will give time for

Coach Dodge to recriut top players, and have a great team for Riley

to run. Competition, yes, every top college and pro teams have several

top players at each position, that compete against each other every day.

The competition for the starting QB has been strong, and that is what you

want. I do not think competition will scare off Vizza, or Riley Dodge

All I know was when I was up at Dodges' QB camp this summer I was amazed at 1. The amount of out of state talent (license plates) for not only QB's but also WR's and 2. how incredible Dodge was at really teaching/coaching these young men on not only being a great FB player but a leader in the class/workplace.

Regardless of who starts Sept 1 things will NEVER be as dismal as we've endured in the past, and if Dodge was able to land this class after 21 days from start to finish of this recruiting season just wait til he can get the kids up on campus next year!!

It's going to be fun!! Also remember Rome was not built in a day, so I for one will be glad to give him some latitute!!

I think some off yall need to realize that when Doge says "This is my starter for the year, and he doesnt need to look over his shoulder" isnt saying that no matter what this is the guy for all twelve games.

What he is saying is that if Meager goes out on the first series in Norman and throws a pick, he doesnt have to worry that the next series will be Vizza's. But if after two, three, or four games it is obvious that Meager is not very good and cant get the job done, then Dodge will make a change.

Remember He is here to win, nothing more, nothing less

Now in saying that, I hope the only time Vizza sees the field this year is in mop up duty, but only time will tell

Ding, ding, ding! Exactly. I think Dodge is doing the same thing with Jamario...rebuilding the confidence of our most talented players appears to be tops on his to-do list. That and by sending out a true freshman you're almost conceeding the first several games of the year....and we can't lose to SMU. I think this means Dodge understands how big that game is for us. Ok...maybe I'm reading too much into this. :) ...but I want to beat dirty schmoo one more time before we never get to play them again...

Also, with all the injuries Meager has sustained over the years, do you really believe he can make it out of our OOC schedule with this patchwork o-line? Could it be possible that TD doesn't want to do to GV what DD did to DM in throwing him to the wolves?

It doesn't make sense to throw a kid that played his last high school game 9 or 10 months ago up against one of the top defensive fronts in the nation. He could take way too much punishment.

Edited by Cr1028