Brett's Blog On Meager

NTPhiKap99

<H2 class=date-header>August 20, 2007</H2><H3 class=entry-header>Thoughts on Meager</H3>Ok, show of hands. How many of you thought Daniel Meager would start at quarterback this season for North Texas about two months ago?

Anyone?

I didn't think it was much of a possibility either. Meager has endured injury problems and let several opportunities slip away. When UNT head coach Todd Dodge signed highly regarded recruit Giovanni Vizza and secured a commitment from his son Riley for 2008, Meager seemed all but done.

Meager continued battling anyway and won the starting job that had been taken away so many times back. No matter what one thinks of Meager's abilities, the way he kept at it is something to admire.

Who knows how long Meager will hang onto the job. Dodge said that he named his starting quarterback for the season. Meager will have his shot to stay on the field for a while.

Meager has been though it all -- from being put in a tough position following a highly successful quarterback in Scott Hall to dealing with a coaching change. Meager hung in there and won the job, despite those challenges.

So today, it's time to give Meager his due. He certainly deserves it after all the doubts and obstacles he has overcome in his time at UNT.

I thought it was a toss up. But I suppose I'm part of the minority that thinks Vizza should not have the start just because of youth. Meager is still just a junior; if he proves himself to be effective, we get two more years of it. I'm fine with that.

Sometimes I get the impression that a few here think Dodge just came in, knew of our inept offense, and signed Vizza because he didn't give a flipflop about the current QBs we had. As if Dodge is surprised Meager held on to this and is just waiting for that moment 3 games in when it's safe to drop him and let Vizza take the reigns the rest of the way.

I thought it was a toss up. But I suppose I'm part of the minority that thinks Vizza should not have the start just because of youth. Meager is still just a junior; if he proves himself to be effective, we get two more years of it. I'm fine with that.

Sometimes I get the impression that a few here think Dodge just came in, knew of our inept offense, and signed Vizza because he didn't give a flipflop about the current QBs we had. As if Dodge is surprised Meager held on to this and is just waiting for that moment 3 games in when it's safe to drop him and let Vizza take the reigns the rest of the way.

I agree, as soon as the Arkansas game is over Vizza should take over. Let him take a few series vs OU and Ark, along with a quarter or two vs SMut and Fla Atl. He is the future....

I agree, as soon as the Arkansas game is over Vizza should take over. Let him take a few series vs OU and Ark, along with a quarter or two vs SMut and Fla Atl. He is the future....

I really hope everyone on the board isn't really hoping for Meager to fails just to get Vizza in the field. Dodge choose Meager for a reason and I hope it's that he honestly believes right now he give us the best shot at winning football games. If it's not then maybe we hired the wrong coach. I really don't think that is the case and if it's not than lets show a little support for the man we put in control of our football program.

I really hope everyone on the board isn't really hoping for Meager to fails just to get Vizza in the field. Dodge choose Meager for a reason and I hope it's that he honestly believes right now he give us the best shot at winning football games. If it's not then maybe we hired the wrong coach. I really don't think that is the case and if it's not than lets show a little support for the man we put in control of our football program.

thank you